• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout/Ohtani/Renfroe the past 5 games

It is disappointing, but as we get deeper into the year and Trout doesn't have an extended hot streak, I am more and more convinced that what we're seeing is actual decline. He's shown flashes, but then cooled off - and not built the momentum that leads to a scorching hot month. Hope he proves me wrong.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

It is disappointing, but as we get deeper into the year and Trout doesn't have an extended hot streak, I am more and more convinced that what we're seeing is actual decline. He's shown flashes, but then cooled off - and not built the momentum that leads to a scorching hot month. Hope he proves me wrong.

No.  Not a decline.  He is not swinging correctly.  He needs a hitting coach who understands.  

45 minutes ago, full circle said:

No.  Not a decline.  He is not swinging correctly.  He needs a hitting coach who understands.  

You fault the hitting coach? I'm curious about this because I want to know what happened to Ward too. I haven't read anything on the causes of his troubles.

5 minutes ago, Torridd said:

You fault the hitting coach? I'm curious about this because I want to know what happened to Ward too. I haven't read anything on the causes of his troubles.

No I don’t “fault” the hitting coach.  I think it’s a good possibility the hitting coaches don’t know how to help him, though maybe not and maybe Trout is still trying to adapt, who knows.  But this is not a new issue.  This stuff can get pretty complicated and you’re talking about changing muscle memory and movement patterns. 

2 hours ago, full circle said:

Let me put it this way. Hitting and pitching, both individually and collectively, evolve over time. Pitchers get better, hitters counter and get better, and vice versa. This also happens with individual players, as pitchers get the number on a hitter, who then adjusts.

Trout isn't adjusting. Whether it is his swing or difficulty with certain pitches, he's been a different hitter since the start of last year - more streaky, lower contact rate, fewer walks, all while striking out more than ever. This year, he's added a huge reduction in power.

This is not to say that he can't adjust and return to vintage Trout (170+ wRC+). I think it is possible. But what I see is a greater difficulty in making adjustments than before...and this can be a form of decline. It may be less about physical skills than a certain degree of mental flexibility.

He might also be a victim of his own success. "In the past, I'd eventually figure it out...it will just happen." But it isn't just happening. Something is off. Again, I agree this isn't necessarily physical decline, but if the end result is lowered performance, well, that's decline.

I don't care what happens on the hangout thread, but I would prefer if posters refrained from any sort of slur, whether it's just for fun, or whatever.

I have mentioned this before, but you can't have this kind of thing on the message boards if you want to media members to comment and post like Victor Rojas and Jeff Fletcher.

14 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Normally I'd be right there with you on this worry. And maybe I kind of do.

That said, and maybe I'm just being a homer, he was still Trout last year (when not hurt), and was still Trout in April. This May is something different. Doesn't seem like decline... too steep.

He's hitting like .280 with 12 HRs or so. Respectable after 2 months.

Problem is it was one month of Trout, one month of Out. Jekyll and Hyde.

As the cold streak continues its impossible to not notice. But for now I'm still confidant something will click for him again soon enough. He's still too good for it not to.

Hopefully, it's not a decline, but this is the same conversation we were having on this very board in the early Pujols years.

"If you ignore his April when he was adjusting to being on a new team then the rest of the season looks like a vintage Pujols year."

"If you take out the part where he was playing a little hurt, it's not quite a Pujols year, but it's still really valuable."

"Pujols is still good when he makes contact, he just needs to lower his K rate to his normal levels."

The hot streaks got shorter and the cold streaks got longer. That's just what decline is. He won't forget how to play overnight, but the injuries start taking a toll. The recovery takes longer and isn't as complete. They are all reasons, but it gets harder and harder to think it's not just an aberration, but a trend. It goes from if we take out the cold streak he's the same to if we extend the hot streaks more then he's the same. And the baseline level of play has declined a little. 

I really hope we're just seeing a little bit of a cold streak. 

14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Normally I'd be right there with you on this worry. And maybe I kind of do.

That said, and maybe I'm just being a homer, he was still Trout last year (when not hurt), and was still Trout in April. This May is something different. Doesn't seem like decline... too steep.

He's hitting like .280 with 12 HRs or so. Respectable after 2 months.

Problem is it was one month of Trout, one month of Out. Jekyll and Hyde.

As the cold streak continues its impossible to not notice. But for now I'm still confidant something will click for him again soon enough. He's still too good for it not to.

Mike Trout decline talk is always overdone, I think partially because everyone is expecting it to happen and possibly be ugly.

Anyway the dude opened the season hitting .320/'.408/.612 over his first 26 games then had a 14 game stretch where he was awful.  From April 30th to May 16 (14 games) he put up a .185/.267/.259 (526 OPS), batting line -- since then he's gone .292/.393/.625 (1.018 OPS) in 13 games, include the 16th to make it an even two weeks in both samples and it's a .944 OPS.

Trout's been in decline, it's shown up in his walks mostly -- he's 31 and he's bound to be less productive.  But people obsessing over small sample triple slash data are doing it wrong.  Real "scary" decline will show and be worth tracking/talking about when it shows up in the predictive data.   If you want to see what someone looking like they have fallen off a cliff check out Jose Abreu's baseball savant data in 2023 .vs 2022. 

image.png

image.png

When you see a drop-off like that you have to wonder if there isn't an injury or something going on because it's such a steep fall.  But when you look at how big his power drop was last year you almost have to wonder if it started last year and he was actively swinging from the heels to try to fight off the loss of oomph in his swing.

Baseball is hard and for some guys when the end comes, it comes suddenly.