• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now that Arte is keeping the team, does this make it more likely that Shohei will go?

Torridd

5 minutes ago, James said:

He doesn't even really explain how a new owner increased the chances of signing Ohtani, its Heyman so not surprised. It isn't an issue of Moreno being unwilling to spend the money, that's for sure. So he is making a statement with no factual evidence outside of hey, Lacob signed Steph but Arte signed Trout so.......

I mean I think it's obvious, we're tied for having the longest playoff appearance drought in the league, no player in the league has any reason whatsoever to think Arte's going to put a winning team together if they come here.

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

I mean I think it's obvious, we're tied for having the longest playoff appearance drought in the league, no player in the league has any reason whatsoever to think Arte's going to put a winning team together if they come here.

Thats too simplistic of a look at it IMO. A new owner and you have no clue how they will run the organization. Sure Lacob has a bit of a track record in the NBA but you cant assume that will translate. The prevailing though was no way a new owner lets him walk in their first season of ownership but that may not have been the reality at the end of the day. If he hits FA, just like any FA, the odds are they will go to a new team. 

On 1/24/2023 at 10:31 AM, Sully151 said:

After this whole to sell or not to sell debacle, Arte needs to give Ohtani a blank check and a contract that is just a baseball Mad Libs and tell him to fill it out. If he stays, he stays.

"Shohei, we'd like you to be an Angel. Here's a pen and a piece of paper. Please write down the numbers - both years and dollars - it will take to keep you here for the rest of your career. You want to add in some incentives? Write them down, too."

That's what I'd do.

my

take on Arte's change of mind re sale of Angels.

- he was not getting the potential purchase price number he was seeking.

- the uncertainty over the stadium situation with the City of Anaheim has devalued the franchise's value -

- there are two other MLB teams up for potential sale right now allowing potential owners willing to buy a team other options 

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR THE HALOS FRANCHISE AND FANS?

- my take?  more of the same.

- Ohtani is as good as gone.  (did he have a no trade clause ins one year deal?) If Halos can trade him before deadline, they may likely do so - for team that wants an expensive stretch run rental OR to a team that may be able to reach a long term extension deal with him. With Arte and the current financial situation not changing in terms of capitalization of the franchise, I just do not see the financial wherewithal and commitment to do what it takes to sign Ohtani long term.  Might as well fit him for Dodger Blue now.

- Trout needs a full season with no DL time to determine if he is going to live up to all the career potential numbers hype that has accompanied his significant career numbers to date. But for Trout now what - 8 seasons in - no longer the 'young guy' but a veteran player hopefully in the midst of his productive years and not a guy with injuries cutting his playing time over the rest of his career - 2023 is SHOW ME time. He needs to return to All Star performance numbers with no Injured List (used to be DL) time. Hopefully that will happen.

-- Halos need starting pitching (always) but will be and remain (under Arte). unwilling to pay for a top quality rotation guy and will continue with strategy of 1 year. contract guys. (some who perform well, but then move on once they show they can have a decent injury free season).

-- Houston wins division by. ten games again, Seattle and Texas battle it for second and expand playoff spot(s).  Angels play .450 ball, finish 15 -20 games out and fight Oakland to stay out of last place. 

-- Angels do draw 2.5 million - not the 3 million that's the preferred number -- but decent enough for the Angels franchise that does not have a long term stadium deal.

-- sorry to be pessimistic - or - should I say 'realistic'

--  'realistic' is Arte's decision to sell partly motivated by fact that sole proprietor with some maybe limited partners can't compete financially with the large conglomerate corporations that  own MLB teams (Guggenheim) -- that assessment has. not changed -- only thing to change is Arte's willingness to sell (and perhaps an estimate of the tax bite from the state (Taxifornia) and the feds may have had played a role in the decision.

1 hour ago, disarcina said:

Haloswin.com Administrators -- I See that I am classified as a Rookie poster?

that's OK, been away with limited posts since the pandemic stuff -- but GEEZ, I go back to the ESPN days.  Oh well.

I’m sure it’s based on number of posts. Or it’s because you called this place haloswin

7 hours ago, Tank said:

"Shohei, we'd like you to be an Angel. Here's a pen and a piece of paper. Please write down the numbers - both years and dollars - it will take to keep you here for the rest of your career. You want to add in some incentives? Write them down, too."

That's what I'd do.

You're going to have a hard time making good on that on a teachers salary

I really don't think there's any chance whatsoever Ohtani signs a contract extension this offseason.  There's just no reason to.  Even if he wants to stay an Angel, and even if he's sold on the team's ability to compete, why not wait and see what the market will offer you, to ask the Angels to match or exceed, rather than just taking the best offer they'll negotiate with you?  There's no reason for him to not capitalize on his value as best he can.  Mookie could point to the Trout contract, Lindor could point to the Tatis contract, there's never been a free agent like Ohtani.  

47 minutes ago, mmc said:

I really don't think there's any chance whatsoever Ohtani signs a contract extension this offseason.  There's just no reason to.  Even if he wants to stay an Angel, and even if he's sold on the team's ability to compete, why not wait and see what the market will offer you, to ask the Angels to match or exceed, rather than just taking the best offer they'll negotiate with you?  There's no reason for him to not capitalize on his value as best he can.  Mookie could point to the Trout contract, Lindor could point to the Tatis contract, there's never been a free agent like Ohtani.  

Same reason Trout didn't? The money is going to be generational either way and for some people it really comes down to other priorities, like where you feel happiest. He already chose the Angels once. Shouldn't be much of a shock if it happens again.

Also, he already signed one contract a year before he could've made bigger money, so it's pretty clear he doesn't think like you do.

All of baseball media are praying that he doesn't extend before the season starts. If you think he was a central storyline before, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

His performance in every game he plays will be projected into what his value will be with the teams who want him. If he slumps, or gets hurt his value drops. If he maintains his current pace or does better the Angels probably will have to be a strong pennant contender to become a more attractive option. And term and money will obviously be factors for all concerned. 

Watching Ohtani unextended day by day will be like watching the stock market.

We don't know if Ohtani factors in ownership as an issue, but Arte is the only one he has experience with. Anyone else, here or elsewhere, is an unknown to him. But if Arte doesn't make a strong offer it may demoralize fans. Who have been anticipating others calling the shots on Ohtani's negotiations.

The Angels lucked out that everything went smoothly with Trout's extension. Can lightning strike twice? 

9 hours ago, mmc said:

I really don't think there's any chance whatsoever Ohtani signs a contract extension this offseason.  There's just no reason to. 

Huh? If he could have the Halos guarantee him $50M+ over 8-12 years right now, it would eliminate the risk of a second TJS (or any major arm injury) hurting his FA market. Also, he could see value in ending all of the “where would he sign” controversy. Those are two obvious reasons to consider extending this offseason imo 

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Question Re Arte Moreno spending up to Halos record payroll this off-season:

Did he do it only because he was selling the team?

Or is he finally willing to spend beyond the tax threshold for a change for the right guy (Ohtani)?

This is why any transactions or lack thereof at this point will be very telling to me.  Was it all hogwash or was he telling the truth about wanting to win?   The Angels still need pitching one way or another. 

48 minutes ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Huh? If he could have the Halos guarantee him $50M+ over 8-12 years right now, it would eliminate the risk of a second TJS (or any major arm injury) hurting his FA market. Also, he could see value in ending all of the “where would he sign” controversy. Those are two obvious reasons to consider extending this offseason imo 

Those only matter if he badly wants to stay here, which there's really no evidence of

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

Those only matter if he badly wants to stay here, which there's really no evidence of

That isn’t true.  It matters if he likes it here.  It matters if he wants financial security.  As for no evidence of wanting to stay here, that also isn’t true.  He didn’t take the team to arbitration, he settled on a one year deal when he could have gotten that much or more in arbitration.  He hasn’t asked for a trade either.  You have a very narrow view of “no evidence”, one that fits your own personal opinion and not looking at a bigger picture.

20 hours ago, disarcina said:

Haloswin.com Administrators -- I See that I am classified as a Rookie poster?

that's OK, been away with limited posts since the pandemic stuff -- but GEEZ, I go back to the ESPN days.  Oh well.

First they win the 2002 WS without you and now this!

11 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

All of baseball media are praying that he doesn't extend before the season starts. If you think he was a central storyline before, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

His performance in every game he plays will be projected into what his value will be with the teams who want him. If he slumps, or gets hurt his value drops. If he maintains his current pace or does better the Angels probably will have to be a strong pennant contender to become a more attractive option. And term and money will obviously be factors for all concerned. 

Watching Ohtani unextended day by day will be like watching the stock market.

We don't know if Ohtani factors in ownership as an issue, but Arte is the only one he has experience with. Anyone else, here or elsewhere, is an unknown to him. But if Arte doesn't make a strong offer it may demoralize fans. Who have been anticipating others calling the shots on Ohtani's negotiations.

The Angels lucked out that everything went smoothly with Trout's extension. Can lightning strike twice? 

lightening strike twice -- probably not.