• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now that Arte is keeping the team, does this make it more likely that Shohei will go?

Torridd

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Pancake Bear obviously it's up to Shohei Ohtani in the end but everything I've heard from a few Angels personnel is he's their top priority to retain and to make a lifetime Angel. I've also heard from the same people that they believe Ohtani loves his teammates and wants to stay with one team and feels the Angels have made tremendous improvements the last couple offseasons to put them in a position to win. He is loyal and hates drama and stress so I'm guessing a deal gets done before the start of the regular season. 

Time will tell. I just hope he stays true to that and doesn't get influenced by outsiders to play the field in free agency in hopes of setting a record breaking never to be broken professional sports deal. If he's honest with the Angels and wants to go that route, I truly hope they trade him for the best package of young ready to play NOW players before the start of the season, or at least by the trade deadline. 

He is going to get 215 million a year? A 675 million dollar contract?

How do the Angels tell him they love him  they want to make him an Angel for life and simultaneously entertain trade offers. I was never high on his hitting (swing). I was wrong but I still think the Angels future is better off trading him. We are not suppose to make the playoffs this year with him so why not roll the dice and try to trade are way  into the post season. 

Also keeping him is a huge risk. If he were to go bust, that would most likely keep the Angels out of the playoffs for many years to come. We been burnt enough times on long term contracts. Sell high. Let's get Trout to the playoffs now. 

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

How do the Angels tell him they love him  they want to make him an Angel for life and simultaneously entertain trade offers. I was never high on his hitting (swing). I was wrong but I still think the Angels future is better off trading him. We are not suppose to make the playoffs this year with him so why not roll the dice and try to trade are way  into the post season. 

Also keeping him is a huge risk. If he were to go bust, that would most likely keep the Angels out of the playoffs for many years to come. We been burnt enough times on long term contracts. Sell high. Let's get Trout to the playoffs now. 

Honestly, unless Arte is willing to blow past the luxury tax starting next year (should have started this year), then they need to trade Ohtani now. 

Everyone thinks Arte signing Ohtani or not is the defining moment. Ohtani is going to command more AAV than trout. Signing him while then being unwilling to have an open ended budget is almost a guarantee of another 10 years without a postseason.

You either trade Ohtani now or sign him and go bonkers in free agency.

Arte is inept though so he'll do one of 2 things: not trade Ohtani and fail to extend him. OR sign Ohtani and keep this marginally increased budget that results in mediocrity on the field.

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

Why are we “not supposed to make the playoffs”?

2 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

How do the Angels tell him they love him  they want to make him an Angel for life and simultaneously entertain trade offers. I was never high on his hitting (swing). I was wrong but I still think the Angels future is better off trading him. We are not suppose to make the playoffs this year with him so why not roll the dice and try to trade are way  into the post season

He has one year of control before free agency, what sort of haul do you think you're going to get? Bear in mind you're going to need a 4WAR starter that throws 100mph and a 3WAR DH that's a speedster on the bases just to break even.

14 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

He has one year of control before free agency, what sort of haul do you think you're going to get? Bear in mind you're going to need a 4WAR starter that throws 100mph and a 3WAR DH that's a speedster on the bases just to break even.

We're not going to break even if he is traded....you have to accept that, unless Perry does the best talent evaluation in history and picks the right guys from another team.....but it doesn't mean a trade shouldn't be considered if you can't sign him....not saying I'd do it but I don't think you close down that option...

23 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm thinking it gets done prior to he leaves Angels camp to play for team Japan in the WBC. I'm guessing he doesn't want that question to be the focus point and a distraction all through camp in Feb/March ahead of opening day. 

Considering the humility Shohei exudes I agree that he would likely prefer to avoid being center of attention at camp (more so during WBC) due to his contract status. He already gets plenty of attention for being the unicorn out there 

16 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Only Shohei really knows, but, I think it's probably more likely he'll stay. Under Arte, the Angels have stood by Shohei through long term injuries and rehab, and allowed him to develop his two-way skills the way he wanted to, allowing him far more leeway than most players are afforded. They played a huge part in supporting him to become the superstar that he is today and with Arte being the hands-on guy that he seems to be I'm sure they must have developed a personal relationship. With Ohtani's character in mind, I can see him feeling a sense of loyalty to the Angels for all that, maybe a sense of unfinished business too, so, I think with a fair offer on the table (and maybe a break clause or two) Ohtani will stay long before free agency becomes a complete media frenzy distraction.

Reasonably optimistic points

14 hours ago, Second Base said:

the Angels as currently constructed, appear to be an 85 win team. When the trade deadline comes, they'll be too good to sell off pieces, not good enough to emerge as a clear buyer. So I think they'll do little of consequence. 

If this scenario transpires it’s possible, if not likely, that one of Neto/Soto/Jackson/Paris becomes clearly MLB ready by the deadline, which would enable trading either Rengifo (who could also improve his value with continued improvement) or Urshela to improve elsewhere. Also, if the pitching staff remains relatively healthy, we have a lot of talent in AA/AAA that could be moved to improve the club.

Being on track for 85 wins by July would be awesome imo

18 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Pancake Bear obviously it's up to Shohei Ohtani in the end but everything I've heard from a few Angels personnel is he's their top priority to retain and to make a lifetime Angel. I've also heard from the same people that they believe Ohtani loves his teammates and wants to stay with one team and feels the Angels have made tremendous improvements the last couple offseasons to put them in a position to win. He is loyal and hates drama and stress so I'm guessing a deal gets done before the start of the regular season. 

The one reason I can find for optimism is what seems to be his personal character - I maybe I misread him, but he really seems happy to be on this team.  

"Winning" or the lack thereof is probably the single issue that may make him stay or leave.  I think if we were a slam-dunk 95-win team, he'd sign an extension now.

But we're not so ... ?

4 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

The one reason I can find for optimism is what seems to be his personal character - I maybe I misread him, but he really seems happy to be on this team.  

"Winning" or the lack thereof is probably the single issue that may make him stay or leave.  I think if we were a slam-dunk 95-win team, he'd sign an extension now.

But we're not so ... ?

Trout agrees.

49 minutes ago, mmc said:

He doesn't even really explain how a new owner increased the chances of signing Ohtani, its Heyman so not surprised. It isn't an issue of Moreno being unwilling to spend the money, that's for sure. So he is making a statement with no factual evidence outside of hey, Lacob signed Steph but Arte signed Trout so.......