• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now that Arte is keeping the team, does this make it more likely that Shohei will go?

Torridd

More likely, though I’m not sure how much.  I don’t think he signs before the season, and if we do well this year, I think he’d be hopeful about our team regardless of who the owner is.  But if we flop, with no new owner coming he might see winning here as a lost cause and be more inclined to leave.  Hard to say for sure what he’s thinking

I would think Ohtani is out the door. That said, you also have to think perhaps Ohtani has decided to stay, and thats why Moreno is?

I can't believe Arte would want to be the owner when Ohtani bails. Hated even more, when he could have walked away with 2 or 3 billion in his pocket?

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I would think Ohtani is out the door. That said, you also have to think perhaps Ohtani has decided to stay, and thats why Moreno is?

I can't believe Arte would want to be the owner when Ohtani bails. Hated even more, when he could have walked away with 2 or 3 billion in his pocket?

I don’t get it.  As others have suggested, maybe he posturing for the sale.

3 minutes ago, Revad said:

I don’t get it.  As others have suggested, maybe he posturing for the sale.

Possible, I guess...

But ai don't think so... I could see Moreno "suggesting" he might keep the team if that were the case. But giving an official announcement saying "I'm staying" not only doesn't offer much wiggle room, but likely pisses off potential buyers who had (I assume) already spent time and energy doing research, drafting contracts, etc etc

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm thinking it gets done prior to he leaves Angels camp to play for team Japan in the WBC. I'm guessing he doesn't want that question to be the focus point and a distraction all through camp in Feb/March ahead of opening day. 

And if it doesn't get done it probably means that Ohtani wants to play somewhere else.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Taking our fandom out of the equation, if you were Ohtani, would you sign a long term deal with the team that is tied for the longest active non-playoff streak in MLB?  I love my team but I wouldn't sign if I were him....

That's a good question. It really depends on how much I like the teammates, area, management, etc. If I feel management is competent, I might stay even during the team's slide. Actually, I wouldn't rather to jump ship to an instant contender like the Yanks, Stros or Dodgers where I'm not necessarily needed.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

You think Moreno decided not to sell because Ohtani's going to stay?

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

You think Moreno decided not to sell because Ohtani's going to stay?

I don't "think" that. But it's the only thing I can think of that would (sort of) make sense.

If Ohtani is leaving (or at least isn't signing an extension) then I have zero idea what Moreno is thinking.

And to clarify. I don't speculate on that because I believe Ohtani is staying. I think he's gone, personally. 

I just think Moreno, especially after all the drama the past few years and crap product, would want to get out of town with 3 billion dollars in his pocket. The fact he's staying makes me wonder if so is Ohtani, and Moreno wants to get credit for that?

31 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

IAnd to clarify. I don't speculate on that because I believe Ohtani is staying. I think he's gone, personally.

I have been of this opinion for a while. The Angels haven't been a contending club the entire time that Ohtani has been with them. He has expressed a desire to win. I don't see that happening with the Angels, especially since they are sticking with the same ownership that has presided over this ten-year malaise. Any hope that I had of it changing was wiped out when Moreno took the team off the market. His "willingness to spend money" brought us Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton and C. J. Wilson. It doesn't matter how much you spend if it isn't spent wisely.

I believe that Ohtani walks regardless of the club's offer.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Only Shohei really knows, but, I think it's probably more likely he'll stay. Under Arte, the Angels have stood by Shohei through long term injuries and rehab, and allowed him to develop his two-way skills the way he wanted to, allowing him far more leeway than most players are afforded. They played a huge part in supporting him to become the superstar that he is today and with Arte being the hands-on guy that he seems to be I'm sure they must have developed a personal relationship. With Ohtani's character in mind, I can see him feeling a sense of loyalty to the Angels for all that, maybe a sense of unfinished business too, so, I think with a fair offer on the table (and maybe a break clause or two) Ohtani will stay long before free agency becomes a complete media frenzy distraction.

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm thinking it gets done prior to he leaves Angels camp to play for team Japan in the WBC. I'm guessing he doesn't want that question to be the focus point and a distraction all through camp in Feb/March ahead of opening day. 

Just out of curiosity, what have you heard? Negotiations going on? Is there mutual interest in him staying? I thought I heard that prior to the sale, they were pretty far apart on agreeing on his contract value.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I don't "think" that. But it's the only thing I can think of that would (sort of) make sense.

If Ohtani is leaving (or at least isn't signing an extension) then I have zero idea what Moreno is thinking.

And to clarify. I don't speculate on that because I believe Ohtani is staying. I think he's gone, personally. 

I just think Moreno, especially after all the drama the past few years and crap product, would want to get out of town with 3 billion dollars in his pocket. The fact he's staying makes me wonder if so is Ohtani, and Moreno wants to get credit for that?

Ohtani leaving will definitely reduce the value of the club *and* will make the club less competitive which is related, but not the same thing.   

So, I agree, Arte must think he's keeping Ohtani - but Arte's been dead-wrong so many times on these things, that's hardly definitive.  

My fear is that we keep him 'til the end of the year, miss the playoffs, he walks, and leaves us with nothing.  

Fear "b" is we trade him in a Marlins-like trade where we get a bunch of high-value prospects who all tank, and the Angels are forever known as a team that traded the modern Babe Ruth for a bunch of "No,No Bodies"

I know I get called a pessimist for this, but the Angels as currently constructed, appear to be an 85 win team. When the trade deadline comes, they'll be too good to sell off pieces, not good enough to emerge as a clear buyer. So I think they'll do little of consequence. 

85 wins won't be enough to get them into the post season, and after the year, Ohtani is going to sign a 500 million dollar mega deal to play with either the Padres, Mets, Giants or Mariners, and the Angels will get nothing in compensation that makes it even remotely palatable. However, at the end of the day, are you really sure paying one player 500 million for his 30's is the right move to make? 

It'll sting at first, but the Angels will have dodged a bullet long term because he's not going to be doing the two way thing will at age 35, let alone 40. 

Of course, the winter isn't over yet. The Angels may still get another starter and reliever, in which case depending on the quality of those, this could be closer to a 90 win team and that could change things entirely. 

2 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Just out of curiosity, what have you heard? Negotiations going on? Is there mutual interest in him staying? I thought I heard that prior to the sale, they were pretty far apart on agreeing on his contract value.

@Pancake Bear obviously it's up to Shohei Ohtani in the end but everything I've heard from a few Angels personnel is he's their top priority to retain and to make a lifetime Angel. I've also heard from the same people that they believe Ohtani loves his teammates and wants to stay with one team and feels the Angels have made tremendous improvements the last couple offseasons to put them in a position to win. He is loyal and hates drama and stress so I'm guessing a deal gets done before the start of the regular season. 

Time will tell. I just hope he stays true to that and doesn't get influenced by outsiders to play the field in free agency in hopes of setting a record breaking never to be broken professional sports deal. If he's honest with the Angels and wants to go that route, I truly hope they trade him for the best package of young ready to play NOW players before the start of the season, or at least by the trade deadline. 

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Pancake Bear obviously it's up to Shohei Ohtani in the end but everything I've heard from a few Angels personnel is he's their top priority to retain and to make a lifetime Angel. I've also heard from the same people that they believe Ohtani loves his teammates and wants to stay with one team and feels the Angels have made tremendous improvements the last couple offseasons to put them in a position to win. He is loyal and hates drama and stress so I'm guessing a deal gets done before the start of the regular season. 

I hope that this is accurate. Were it not for Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani, the casual baseball fan would probably not even know about the Angels. Setting aside that you cannot possibly replace a generational player like Ohtani.