• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now that Arte is keeping the team, does this make it more likely that Shohei will go?

Torridd

@disarcina you've been around for a very long time, it's a shame we couldn't move our post totals from our previous two forum softwares to this permanent home we have now. 

You were definitely more active on our first two forums attached to our website than this all inclusive site that's home now so for that I ranked you by adding a zero to the end of your post count making you a Franchise Icon sir. 

Chuckster - thanks. pal -  just joking about the post total stuff - you know me - I don't care about that stuff. Just thought it was kinda funny that I'm considered a 'rookie' on the site -- and then I went posted something that made me sound like a 'rookie' LOL !!    I'm kinda somewhat ambivalent about the Arte 'pulls Angels off the market' story --always liked Arte, unlike others here, I never held the "Los Angeles" name change issue against him -- thought it made better marketing sense and more specifically just restored the name of the franchise asset that Gene Autry got awarded years ago by MLB - specifically -  "The Second Los Angeles franchise" for which Autry paid O'Malley dearly for during the early years of the Halos' existence (after the season/ early games at Wrigley Field downtown) for use of Dodger Stadium getting ONLY the game ticket revenue - no concessions, no parking fees etc.  

But the last few years it has become apparent that sole proprietor Arte with maybe a few limited partners - just can't compete with the corporate conglomerates that own MLB teams -- and it's tough to be competitive with a refusal to extend the payroll beyond the luxury tax thresh-hold.  So I just see more of the same with Arte.  Ohtani is as good as gone. The. Angels will continue to draw 2.5 million fans (with an also ran team) to 3 million fans (with a playoff contender team) a year and despite the lease fiasco with Anaheim Stadium, it's still a family friendly venue for fans and their families and a nice place to watch a ballgame -- if the Angels win, great. If not, well - it's a nice stadium and fun family time.

I think Arte has been stuck on this mindset treadmill the past five seasons or so -- Angels draw well, the team breaks even or better, things are OK -- no playoffs - oh well.   No long term stadium deal either (but Arte has tried and it's not his fault Anaheim city government seems to be dysfunctional).

The bottom line - I just see more of the same. Hopefully Trout can be healthy and play a full season -  and Halos can enjoy the phenomenon that is Ohtani while he's still in an Angels uni.   I still find it somewhat incredible that Judge with his 62 plus HRs (and an incredible season for sure) beat out Ohtani for MVP when all Ohtani did was have what is - no doubt - the most incredible statistical season of any MLB player in the history of the game -- with only two players' past seasons coming even close -- Babe Ruth best pitching season with Boston and Ohtani's 2021 season.  In almost any other venue other than Anaheim there would have been a full court press media and otherwise push promoting Ohtani for MVP and a lot of disgust when/ if he wasn't properly awarded the MVP award. At a minimum, it was a co-MVP with Judge.  Oh well.   

In recent years after Arte bought the club and while McCourt was busy destroying one of the game's most stable and successful franchises -- the Angels had their best opportunity to finally, fully compete in the greater Southern California market with the Dodgers -- it was a very short/ brief window of time and marketing guy Arte couldn't convert the opportunity into Halo success in the greater Los Angeles / S. California area -- today, the Halos are just as far away from that happening as the team that played in Dodger Stadium all those years ago ceding all the concessions and parking revenue to O'Malley's Dodgers.  That's why the potential sale  by Arte to a better capitalized/ willing to spend owner looked like the best way forward.

23 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

19 hours ago, greginpsca said:

I wouldn't pay much attention to that site. All that site does is regurgitate everything that people that have no clue about the angels put out.

Yep. Like was mentioned in another thread, SI.com is comprised of a bunch of Twitter bloggers offering their opinions.

I think the pundits want Ohtani to hit free agency because it's going to give them a shit ton to write about.

I really hope he signs here. The butthurt from Trout's contract was just *chef's kiss*. The butthurt from Ohtani signing with the Angels will be beyond anything we have ever seen. 

The whole "playoff" thing is a red herring. Obviously Ohtani wants to make the playoffs. But you're looking at the FUTURE. I understand teams like the Dodgers and Padres will be enticing to him, but if the Angels can show improvement and a willingness to continue to improve the team to get to the playoffs, I think we're option 1. 

We'll see. But if Ohtani DOES LEAVE after Moreno's decision...yikes. You think he's hated now? 

2 hours ago, failos said:

This question cannot be answered as we don’t know what the potential new owner’s plans would have been. Ohtani is more likely to stay now, since the Angels have demonstrated a commitment to keeping him.

I don't know about that. I think it comes down to how well the team performs this upcoming season. If it is another sub .500 season and no playoffs then he's gone for sure. Ohtani has already said that winning is what is most important to him and this org doesn't have a good history of that