• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

I know it won’t happen, but this lineup would be totally transformed, and look potentially elite, with one of the top three shortstops. Imagine a top five of Turner, Ohtani, Trout, Rendon and Renfroe. That’s a top five that would potentially be the best in baseball, with a bottom four that wouldn’t be too bad either (Ward, Urshela/Walsh, Rengifo and O’Hoppe). And with five competent starting pitchers, that would be the foundation for a very good team. 

3 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I know it won’t happen, but this lineup would be totally transformed, and look potentially elite, with one of the top three shortstops. Imagine a top five of Turner, Ohtani, Trout, Rendon and Renfroe. That’s a top five that would potentially be the best in baseball, with a bottom four that wouldn’t be too bad either (Ward, Urshela/Walsh, Rengifo and O’Hoppe). And with five competent starting pitchers, that would be the foundation for a very good team. 

I can kinda squint and see Swanson being a possibility since he won’t command the most money. Correa, despite being from the Astros, seems to have enough leadership presence, knowledge, and character that I could see Arte/new owner in the wings making a push if there is an avenue to really push payroll. I think Baltimore makes a big play for him for those reasons. Turner feels like a guy who’s gonna take the most money out East, and Bogearts will be wooed by the big money teams already deep into contention. 

If they’re gonna drop big money on a FA this winter though, I would think Verlander or deGrom would be targeted over a SS. Can never have enough pitching, Ohtani insurance if he’s traded or walks, no long-term commitment. 

13 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

I think they're done with any major moves.

Still, a good offseason for the team. They upgraded pitching, infield and outfield.

Nice job Minasian.

I hope they aren't done with major moves.
The team does look deeper, but I think they could use a big SS or another solid starter to be really competitive.
They're in dire need on a leadoff hitter and there's a few SS that could slot there. 

I'm satisfied with our bullpen, however. There's a lot of guys who can help out.
For all we know, Ben Joyce might find his way in the bigs soon and become an instant threat. Our depth there is good.

47 minutes ago, wopphil said:

It's fun to dream on in the context of this team having unlimited amounts of money, but realistically it's just not feasible IF they intend to retain Ohtani.  If they DO sign one of the star free agent SSs, I would almost think it's a sign that they know Ohtani will move on after the year.

All that said - my hope is they acquire a decent SS on a one year deal via trade, give Neto (and Soto?) another year to develop, and sign Ohtani to a mega deal by next offseason.  Then, with the new ownership in place, see the payroll jump to the 250-300 mil range, as we add other legit pieces, which will fit well with the timeline of graduating some of our young prospects to the majors (O'Hoppe, Neto, Bush, Silseth, etc).

That is how I am hoping it will all unfold.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It's fun to dream on in the context of this team having unlimited amounts of money, but realistically it's just not feasible IF they intend to retain Ohtani.  If they DO sign one of the star free agent SSs, I would almost think it's a sign that they know Ohtani will move on after the year.

All that said - my hope is they acquire a decent SS on a one year deal via trade, give Neto (and Soto?) another year to develop, and sign Ohtani to a mega deal by next offseason.  Then, with the new ownership in place, see the payroll jump to the 250-300 mil range, as we add other legit pieces, which will fit well with the timeline of graduating some of our young prospects to the majors (O'Hoppe, Neto, Bush, Silseth, etc).

That is how I am hoping it will all unfold.

Why not sign Ohtani and a top SS if the payroll goes up to 250-300M? It'd be the same thing at that point. 

26 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

I think they're done with any major moves.

Still, a good offseason for the team. They upgraded pitching, infield and outfield.

Nice job Minasian.

Why do you think they are done?  You said they were done before trading for Renfroe.  

6 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Why not sign Ohtani and a top SS if the payroll goes up to 250-300M? It'd be the same thing at that point. 

Because new ownership has not taken over.  I am assuming the new ownership would want to make that decision.  Since Arte is still in charge right now, he will not sign off on that at this point, UNLESS there is some sort of deal in place already with the new owners (unlikely but maybe not impossible).

43 minutes ago, WholeFnShow said:

I'm hoping we are still in on Kodai Senga.

Same, but it seems like the Angels haven’t been linked to him lately.

There was that Morosi report, but it’s been quiet since then. Morosi was even on MLBN today talking about Senga, but didn’t mention the Angels.

1 minute ago, AngelStew43 said:

I hope we stay far away from Elvis Andrus.  We need to let someone else make the mistake of paying him in 2023.  Correa or Swanson, or Turner, or Boegarts.  

The Angels could be a top 5 offense with the improvements they've made. 

So we, in turn, can be the ones who make the mistake of paying one of those guys, much in the same way we are currently rueing the Rendon contract, or the Pujols contract before that, and so on and so forth...

I was hoping for Swanson before and I would certainly still like to have him since it would solve the SS problem.

But I did look into some data on how streaky a hitter he is.  Man he has some bad stretches.

It’s just something to consider.  Maybe if the Angels have the appetite to spend on a SS they stretch a little and pursue someone not so streaky?

13 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I hope we stay far away from Elvis Andrus.  We need to let someone else make the mistake of paying him in 2023.  Correa or Swanson, or Turner, or Boegarts.  

The Angels could be a top 5 offense with the improvements they've made. 

Elvis Andrus good numbers last year will only be 34. 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I was hoping for Swanson before and I would certainly still like to have him since it would solve the SS problem.

But I did look into some data on how streaky a hitter he is.  Man he has some bad stretches.

It’s just something to consider.  Maybe if the Angels have the appetite to spend on a SS they stretch a little and pursue someone not so streaky?

Warfarin, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am to mine.  

I am just tired of paying good money to watch an inferior product.  Maybe ownership got the message when attendance dropped by what, nearly 500,000?  When the Angels had a good product, people came out like crazy.  The last couple of years, they haven't, and the numbers don't lie.