• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

17 hours ago, Warfarin said:

While it may not ultimately translate to 4-5 wins, this is a very clever, inexpensive way to help the team improve fairly significantly at a rather low cost.  This team has a lot of ground to make up, but hopefully a series of moves like this can be done to help us get there.  It is by far the better strategy, in terms of long-term vision, than tossing a ton of money at someone like Correa or Turner.

At the very least, Urshela lengthens the lineup. How often was Velazquez our cleanup hitter last year?

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

Hell yes.   Many of us were screaming from the rooftops for more depth.  They walked into the season with two rookie ish corner OFers, almost no middle IF, and Trout and Rendon coming off injury with Duffy, Wade, Lagares and Kurt Suzuki on the bench.  Assuming Velazquez was the starter.  Fletcher and Rengifo were coming off stinkers.  Walsh needed help hitting lefties.  And no one had a clue if Ward was really anything more than an platoon bat who could provide avg. production.  They literally had Dillon Thomas, Monte Harrison, Sierra as their OF depth in the minors.  And Mayfield, Rojas and Stefanic as their IF depth in the minors.  

They completely set themselves up to have happen exactly what happened.  

So, if we had a GM so inept that he built what so many of us saw coming, should we have confidence in his team building ability to make a run for it in 2023? 

26 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So, if we had a GM so inept that he built what so many of us saw coming, should we have confidence in his team building ability to make a run for it in 2023? 

I think the fact that he’s willing to spend $9M and a prospect on a quality depth player shows he knows it’s what hurt the team last season

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

I think the fact that he’s willing to spend $9M and a prospect on a quality depth player shows he knows it’s what hurt the team last season

Right.  I have faith in Minasian, in that I feel he has worked for a lot of very smart leaders, and I'm hopeful he has picked up a lot from them and is implementing similar strategies here.

It is a lot harder to overhaul a MLB franchise than it is an NBA or NFL franchise, simply because of the length of time it takes to draft and develop talent.  A lot of GMs have to first hire the right team/FO members, then gradually instill the principles they want, draft / acquire players that fit the philosophy they want, and so on and so forth.

I think it likely takes about a solid 3-4 years to begin to see the vision start to materialize.  It could take even longer if the GM is financially strapped due to poor financial decisions by previous administrations (and/or ownership).  I give Minasian a ton of credit for avoiding any financial catastrophic mistake (i.e. like Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, Rendon).  He has maintained flexibility.  The farm system is actually looking rather promising.  I do feel the team is trending in the right direction and is not far away.  The key thing to me will be, can some of the minor leaguers start to get promoted and perform well?  Will guys like Bush, O'Hoppe, Silseth, etc become solid MLB contributors in the next year or so?  If he can help facilitate that process, and if that comes into fruition, then we'll be in great shape, because we already have the stars in place - we just need the solid, complementary players on cheap rookie contracts to go with them.

22 hours ago, Stradling said:

I disagree with this. There’s virtually no way that Urshela, Anderson, Correa and Nimmo only amount to 7 wins.  It’s probably 4-5 wins just with Urshela taking at bats away from the guys like Gosselin, Duffy, Thaiss, MacKinnon. 

the team was also 3 runs worse than their pythag win expectancy as well.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Well this is the big question. It all comes down to how much we want to believe that the final roster was the result of his direction. The main potential obstacle has been removed, so we'll see how he does with just the lame duck obstacle remaining.

Just a thought, maybe off topic but figure I'll leave it here. 

I think the org should not only be working towards "build around Ohtani, we need him to stay" but also "get Trout some help, Ohtani might bail".

I've been preaching smart money and building the farm for years, but.... like ai said in an earlier post, they've painted themselves into a corner.

We could very well end up wasting a massive deal on Pujols, and Trout, and still.lose Ohtani.

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just a thought, maybe off topic but figure I'll leave it here. 

I think the org should not only be working towards "build around Ohtani, we need him to stay" but also "get Trout some help, Ohtani might bail".

I've been preaching smart money and building the farm for years, but.... like ai said in an earlier post, they've painted themselves into a corner.

We could very well end up wasting a massive deal on Pujols, and Trout, and still.lose Ohtani.

They should just assume Ohtani is leaving. Spend the money now, and then act surprised when he wants to stay.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Injuries weren't exactly a gigantic error, especially when the team put a lot of effort into improving health and conditioning. Ward was a success in RF. Marsh could've been (numbers in Philly are very solid) if Maddon wasn't a whiny little girl about listening to the front office trying to fix his swing. And Minasian wanted Maddon gone at the start of the season. For middle infield, they had depth, and Velazquez did what he was expected to, but Fletcher was injured, which didn't help. Stassi regressed, and Rendon, Walsh, Fletcher, and Trout all missed time due of injury or were clearly struggling through stuff. The bullpen had a lot of effort put into it, but guys underperformed, as happens with a bullpen. The rotation - which has been a problem for years - was a big success. Could the team have been better? Sure, but the budget was limited. The team was great to start the year but injuries, lack of depth, bad coaching, and guys underperforming reasonable expectations did us in. I wouldn't call that ineptitude, personally, but whatever. 

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

I have more confidence in Minasian than I do a bunch of guys posting on a message board.

22 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I think silseth, adell and Jackson could be enticing for Reynolds. 

That would probably not be remotely close to what it would take, as neither Adell nor Jackson carry much trade value at all.  You'd have to start with either Detmers or Sandoval and go from there.