• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

4 hours ago, mmc said:

Urshela and Renfroe weren’t linked to the Angels at all

Those were trades, which makes it seem a little different.

Senga’s agent probably wants to get the names of interested teams out there, to try and drive up the price.

We heard Anderson linked with the Angels before they signed him.

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

Why do you think they are done?  You said they were done before trading for Renfroe.  

I did not say I thought they were done before the Renfroe trade. I said the opposite. I said I think they should go after an outfielder. They did. Renfroe. See the link I sent you on the other thread.

Still not saying that I think they are done. I said I don't think they are going to make any major moves. 

9 hours ago, Warfarin said:

It's fun to dream on in the context of this team having unlimited amounts of money, but realistically it's just not feasible IF they intend to retain Ohtani.  If they DO sign one of the star free agent SSs, I would almost think it's a sign that they know Ohtani will move on after the year.

All that said - my hope is they acquire a decent SS on a one year deal via trade, give Neto (and Soto?) another year to develop, and sign Ohtani to a mega deal by next offseason.  Then, with the new ownership in place, see the payroll jump to the 250-300 mil range, as we add other legit pieces, which will fit well with the timeline of graduating some of our young prospects to the majors (O'Hoppe, Neto, Bush, Silseth, etc).

That is how I am hoping it will all unfold.

Excellent take.  Neto is the wild card and if he's the long term solution at SS, then the Angels can go big on a 1 or2 yr. deal for a Top 15 SS.   Most likely the Angels will not tie up $$ they will need to make a move to lock up Ohtani long term.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

Really hoping for Gleyber Torres but will make peace with Tim Anderson

Personally, I'm still hoping for Turner or Correa. But I'm not holding my breath. I'd be okay with Amed Rosario. I could probably live with Elvis Andrus, but I wouldn't be happy about it. If they stand pat at shortstop, I'll be slightly bummed. 

I know there's debate about whether this guy has any sources or not (I'm personally skeptical), and it's a week old, so treat this more as someone throwing a name out there as a possible trade target than anything else. 

Another guy with one year under contract, but pretty cheap (around $5m). He's a little old, but his defense was crazy good this last season. Problem is his defense wasn't quite that level before last season. And while his bat was pretty solid in recent seasons, it fell off a good bit last season, which makes you nervous when he's gonna be 34 next season. But, depending on cost, I wouldn't necessarily hate it, although it would be far from my top choice. 

On 11/19/2022 at 4:31 PM, Second Base said:

So you believe that Urshela is 4-5 wins above replacement?

Last season 2022
Urshela    was 4.0 wins better than Gosselin 3.1 to -0.9
Urshela    was 3.5 wins better than Duffy 3.1 to -0.4
Urshela    was 3.2 wins better than Thaiss 3.1 to -0.1
Urshela    was 3.5 wins better than MacKinnon 3.1 to -0.4

3 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I did not say I thought they were done before the Renfroe trade. I said the opposite. I said I think they should go after an outfielder. They did. Renfroe. See the link I sent you on the other thread.

Still not saying that I think they are done. I said I don't think they are going to make any major moves. 

Can Renfroe play CF just in case of injury?

6 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I know there's debate about whether this guy has any sources or not (I'm personally skeptical), and it's a week old, so treat this more as someone throwing a name out there as a possible trade target than anything else. 

Another guy with one year under contract, but pretty cheap (around $5m). He's a little old, but his defense was crazy good this last season. Problem is his defense wasn't quite that level before last season. And while his bat was pretty solid in recent seasons, it fell off a good bit last season, which makes you nervous when he's gonna be 34 next season. But, depending on cost, I wouldn't necessarily hate it, although it would be far from my top choice. 

I think that guy just sprays around a lot of info that you can't really dispute.  He isn't saying "Angels about to trade for _____."  Almost all of his Tweets are "hearing that this team is discussing that guy."  No one will ever really know whether that's true or not.

The Angels are likely interested in upgrading SS, and they are likely looking into the various options available on the market, so it would not surprise me if they have checked in with the Marlins at some point about Rojas.

Rojas would excite me just about as much as Ahmed with the Diamondbacks would, but all that said, all are clear upgrades over Velazquez.  Anything that pushes Velazquez further down the depth chart, and keeps Fletcher at 2B instead of SS, is cool with me.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I think that guy just sprays around a lot of info that you can't really dispute.  He isn't saying "Angels about to trade for _____."  Almost all of his Tweets are "hearing that this team is discussing that guy."  No one will ever really know whether that's true or not.

The Angels are likely interested in upgrading SS, and they are likely looking into the various options available on the market, so it would not surprise me if they have checked in with the Marlins at some point about Rojas.

Rojas would excite me just about as much as Ahmed with the Diamondbacks would, but all that said, all are clear upgrades over Velazquez.  Anything that pushes Velazquez further down the depth chart, and keeps Fletcher at 2B instead of SS, is cool with me.

Just one issue though: isn’t Rengifo the better 2B and Fletcher the better SS? 

41 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just one issue though: isn’t Rengifo the better 2B and Fletcher the better SS? 

I believe Fletcher is considerably better defensively at both positions.  The idea behind having Rengifo serve as more of a super utility is that he'd start just as much as the regulars, but he can also be rotated out to LF/RF, which could potentially eliminate the need to have either Moniak or Adell on the roster, thus freeing up the last bench spot for someone who is better.

I say this with the caveat that Fletcher is able to rediscover his 2018-2020 offensive form.  If he struggles mightily again, as he has the last 2 seasons, then he will likely become the last guy on the bench, with Rengifo taking over as the primary 2B (in the context that we have acquired a SS this offseason).

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Last season 2022
Urshela    was 4.0 wins better than Gosselin 3.1 to -0.9
Urshela    was 3.5 wins better than Duffy 3.1 to -0.4
Urshela    was 3.2 wins better than Thaiss 3.1 to -0.1
Urshela    was 3.5 wins better than MacKinnon 3.1 to -0.4

So we are now 14 wins better just because we signed Urshela. Excellent. That's exactly how it works, don't try to piss in my Cheerios and tell me that's not how it works. Playoffs here we come!

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I believe Fletcher is considerably better defensively at both positions.  The idea behind having Rengifo serve as more of a super utility is that he'd start just as much as the regulars, but he can also be rotated out to LF/RF, which could potentially eliminate the need to have either Moniak or Adell on the roster, thus freeing up the last bench spot for someone who is better.

I say this with the caveat that Fletcher is able to rediscover his 2018-2020 offensive form.  If he struggles mightily again, as he has the last 2 seasons, then he will likely become the last guy on the bench, with Rengifo taking over as the primary 2B (in the context that we have acquired a SS this offseason).

The only issue I have with treating Rengifo like this is that doing this probably isn’t as valuable as what we could get for him in a trade. If he can net a starter in return—pitcher or another position—I think he is more valuable that way. Even as the centerpiece of a deal. Walsh can play OF just fine, Urshela can play 1B and 3B, Soto SS, and Fletcher 2B and SS. That’s versatility, and all of those guys are better hitters than Velazquez, Wade, Goose, Mayfield, Stefanic, or Duffy. 

If they keep him, I’d actually prefer he start at 2B over Fletcher. Fletcher is a much, much better defender. But he has no pop and is surprisingly slow. Fletcher can come in late for defense, fill in at MIF, and PH when needed. 

Just now, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

So are going to carry 5 OFers, or is Moniac going to be it, with Adell in AAA?

Zero chance both Adell and Moniak are on the 26 man roster at the same time if the main three guys are all healthy. At least one will be in the minors and maybe both. Adell is probably the better one to send down since he needs the playing time more. Depending what they think of Moniak, they might want to see if they can get more out of him as well, which would make it counterproductive to keep him up unless they plan on the fourth guy playing quite a bit.