• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Benitendi, trade for Amed Rosario, sign Lorenzen plus some BP piece maybe 1 year deal on Kimbrel

NO.  The Angels will still have to find spots for Canning and CRod at least.  The Angels also have Bachman, Joyce, Ingram, Silseth, etc. to build a bullpen.  

Don't waste dollars on a mediocre reliever like Kimbrel.  Use them on a SS. 

Signing Lorenzen would be OK.  I think he'd be good as a 7th or 8th inning reliever, too.  Tepera and Loup are under contract as well.  I think that it may be time to try Canning as a reliever.  Since he is now healthy, CRod is back as well with his plus stuff.  

Our available payroll can, and should, be used to improve the offense.  Sign Correa, Swanson, Turner, and keep Fletcher around as our utility player, as he was when he first came up.  Some SS, some 2B, some 3B, some in LF.  Soto and Velazquez can fight it out for the other utility infielder spot, and they both can be used as pinch runners and late inning defensive replacements.  

We could then trade guys like Suarez, Barria, and Silseth for an OF like Reynolds.  And yes, I think teams like the Pirates would be interested in pitchers with ML experience that still have years of club control, like Suarez and Silseth. 

LF should be the emphasis now.

Current AAV payroll, per Fletcher, is $195 million after acquiring/signing Urshela and Anderson.   That’s only $38 million under 2023 tax threshold.

Current actual 2023 payroll, per Fletch, is $175 million.

Haniger (3 years), Lorenzen (2 years), and two reliable relievers on short term deals should put them at about $225 million AAV payroll, $8 million under tax threshold.

Haniger will be 32 in 2023, but like Donaldson doesn’t have a lot of PAs (2,498) by age 32.   Should still have 2-3 solid seasons at least in him.

Edited by Angel Oracle

27 minutes ago, T.G. said:

My concern with Haniger is durability.

He only played in 63 games in 2019. Missed 2020.  Came back in 2021 to play 157 games, but only played 57 games last year.

Basically same risk Syndergaard carried. that’s also why he’ll likely be limited to a low-risk (but solid money) one year deal.

If he falters, ideally Adell or Moniak step in and take advantage, like Rengifo did this year.

If I remember, one of those injured seasons for Haniger was kinda fluky? 

Edited by totdprods

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Basically same risk Syndergaard carried. that’s also why he’ll likely be limited to a low-risk (but solid money) one year deal.

If he falters, ideally Adell or Moniak step in and take advantage, like Rengifo did this year.

If I remember, one of those injured seasons for Haniger was kinda fluky? 

Haniger had high ankle sprain

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Current AAV payroll, per Fletcher, is $195 million after acquiring/signing Urshela and Anderson.   That’s only $38 million under 2023 tax threshold.

Haniger (3 years), Lorenzen (2 years), and two reliable relievers on short term deals should put them at about $225 million AAV payroll, $8 million under tax threshold.

Haniger will be 32 in 2023, but like Donaldson doesn’t have a lot of PAs (2,498) by age 32.   Should still have 2-3 solid seasons at least in him.

Ownership has only cared about actual payroll and it was around $188M last year. If anything, it might be bumped to $190M. 

I'd say the Angels have about $15M left to spend to get to the number they like to be at.

40 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Ownership has only cared about actual payroll and it was around $188M last year. If anything, it might be bumped to $190M. 

I'd say the Angels have about $15M left to spend to get to the number they like to be at.

I think Arte goes over lux tax. He will not end up paying it. Would be such a small number.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It's pretty depressing that after trying to rebuild for the past several years, that our best position player prospects were 2 outfield in Marsh and Adell, and were still having to look outside the org to fix a corner OF spot.

At least Marsh allowed the Halos to acquire O’Hoppe.

But yeah, Adell needs to take the much needed next step in the next year.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

All for acquiring an OF, but I'd probably punt on another SP.  We have 5, and I think it's more worthwhile to keep that 6th spot fungible, so that guys can be cycled through it and maintain roster flexibility.  I'm even more against the idea when it comes to giving it to someone like Lorenzen, who is okay but that's about it. 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hanger is not a left fielder, he has played all of 13 games his entire career in left field. The rest are mostly right field. At least target the correct player for the position rather than just using a known name and expect them to adapt. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Hanger is not a left fielder, he has played all of 13 games his entire career in left field. The rest are mostly right field. At least target the correct player for the position rather than just using a known name and expect them to adapt. 

Haniger seems to be fine defensively in RF. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to play LF

Ramon Laureano? Far from a sure thing offensively, but has some upside, traditionally hits lefties well, great insurance at any OF spot, worst case scenario becomes an expensive defense-first 4th OF that you could easily cut bait and recoup on at deadline. Shouldn’t cost much prospect-wise.

My biggest hesitation is that OF is the last spot we have to realistically add a big, clear-cut offensive upgrade* and he wouldn’t really guarantee that. Maybe if they added an offense-first catcher like Narvaez. 

What about Max Kepler?

*I don’t really see them in the mix for a top FA SS.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Ramon Laureano? Far from a sure thing offensively, but has some upside, traditionally hits lefties well, great insurance at any OF spot, worst case scenario becomes an expensive defense-first 4th OF that you could easily cut bait and recoup on at deadline. Shouldn’t cost much prospect-wise.

My biggest hesitation is that OF is the last spot we have to realistically add a big, clear-cut offensive upgrade* and he wouldn’t really guarantee that. Maybe if they added an offense-first catcher like Narvaez. 

*I don’t really see them in the mix for a top FA SS.

I also do not think they will spend big on SS. A trade for Amed Rosario would be nice. Many teams looking for OF help and Laureano could be plan D. 4 years 60 million for Adrew Benintendi would be my plan A, Mitch Haniger 3 years 36 mill plan B. 

On 11/21/2022 at 2:55 PM, Angels 1961 said:

I think Arte goes over lux tax. He will not end up paying it. Would be such a small number.

The issue isn't the fee for going over, it's the $40m(ish) we'd be spending over last year's payroll. I'm not saying it's impossible - especially if potential buyers are unanimously signaling they want to contend and don't want to risk losing this season because of how long the sale takes - but it's unlikely at best. 

11 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Bellinger or Gallo on 1 year deal? How much would you spend?

If we're only doing 1yr deals for OF, i'd think Conforto would be in play too. $$$ wise, I'd guess Conforto gets 1yr/15-20mil, Bellinger gets 1yr/10-15, Gallo gets 1yr/5-8mil.

Of the 3, i would be most excited about Conforto. Although, I'd be content with a Bellinger signing. He has a high floor with offensive upside that could still get tapped into as he enters his prime years. Screw Gallo. 

Would still prefer Haniger, Nimmo, or Benitendi overall though.