• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

10 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I like Reynolds.  He's definitely not a CFer though and not someone I would want displacing Trout.  If they want corner OF value in return then fine but if they want legit CF value in return then pass.  

I still think they'd want a pretty decent haul like Suarez, Neto, and Quero.  

Reynolds is a stud. Perfect lead off guy and a very non angels move to make. 

3 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

The important development is that the artificial "salary cap" that guys are arbitrarily assigning to the club, does not seem to be in place.   Angels appear to have a sense of urgency to win big in 2023.

Potentially, but I still think they are about $8-10 mil below last years payroll, so it's certainly possible they make one more mid level move and then focus the rest of the offseason on trades or waiver wire pickups. Hopefully you're right though.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Potentially, but I still think they are about $8-10 mil below last years payroll, so it's certainly possible they make one more mid level move and then focus the rest of the offseason on trades or waiver wire pickups. Hopefully you're right though.

trust him. he's always right. just ask him.

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Or see if the Pirates will take Walsh, Adell, Bachman and Soto or Paris for Reynolds. Then sign Trea Turner and just absolutely destroy the opposition in 2023 and beyond. 

SS Turner

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

3B Rendon

LF Reynolds

RF Ward

2B Rengifo/Fletcher

1B Urshela

C O'Hoppe

come on buddy.  they're not gonna want a bunch of guys with massive question marks around them in regards to whether they are mlb players or even legit prospects.  It's gonna take a top 100 guy plus another very good player/prospect and then probably someone with big upside like a Guzman or Placentia.  That's what other teams are going to give up.  

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Or see if the Pirates will take Walsh, Adell, Bachman and Soto or Paris for Reynolds. Then sign Trea Turner and just absolutely destroy the opposition in 2023 and beyond. 

SS Turner

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

3B Rendon

LF Reynolds

RF Ward

2B Rengifo/Fletcher

1B Urshela

C O'Hoppe

I think many fans are really paranoid to trade away significant prospects because of the recent history of the farm being terrible.

But I think that’s reactionary rather than rational.

This team needs to level up right now and one way to do it is to be willing to make an aggressive trade.

Yes, moving certain young players would really “hurt” but if you get what you need then that’s just the price of poker.

Sign me up to come up with a good package to get a truly significant player.

I want to win.

Playing around with that silly Trade Value Simulator site, I came up with..

Jose Suarez (12.8) to Baltimore for Anthony Santander and Dillon Tate (11.9)

Santander fills the other OF slot, Tate slots into back of pen. Tate was someone our new assistant pitching coach Hezel featured numerous times on his Twitter account, implying they worked together at Driveline. Sandoval, Ohtani, and Cobb are also featured as often.

Santander and Tate are both controlled for at least a couple seasons. Angels eat a little bit of arb money taking them instead of retaining Suarez, and will need to pony up a bit of cash to replace Suarez in the rotation, but could be a good way to address a couple needs.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The fact that they gave up their second round pick to sign Anderson leads me to believe that they are open to signing someone else with draft pick compensation attached. 

Alternatively it could just mean that Minasian is a lame duck and he's going to throw it all at the wall this offseason to make something happen, in which case I would expect to see him make a big trade.

They gave up their second round pick last offseason to sign Syndergaard, and then they didn't sign another player with draft compensation attached.

Same thing with Rendon in the 2019 offseason.

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think many fans are really paranoid to trade away significant prospects because of the recent history of the farm being terrible.

Why? If you’re a fan that’s paranoid about trading away significant prospects, why is that?

After seeing Adell and Marsh fail to maximize their development with the Angels so far, what makes you want to keep to hoard prospects that could flop?

52 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, sorry, but both of your proposals for Reynolds get laughed at by the Pirates.

Most of the players you mentioned have little value as headliners and would just be thrown-ins to get a deal over the finish line.

Also, a Reynolds trade doesn’t occur in a vacuum. Other teams with better trade assets who value Reynolds just as much, or more if they want him to play CF, will drive the price up.

Edited by Trendon

I just don't see us signing anyone like Trea Turner.  It'd be beyond shocking for the Angels to blow up payroll prior to a sale.  I can see a modest increase, but they aren't going to suddenly hover around the 230-250mil mark.

As things stand now, the payroll is around 181mil (with arbitration estimates factored in), and a luxury tax figure of about 196mil.  Both numbers preclude anyone like Correa, Trea Turner, etc from joining.  Nimmo is a neat idea, but I think even that kind of payroll addition (~20mil AAV) is out of the picture.

I do think we could see multiple players added for around another 20mil, but probably not one single player who costs that (or higher).

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

They gave up their second round pick last offseason to sign Syndergaard, and then they didn't sign another player with draft compensation attached.

Same thing with Rendon in the 2019 offseason.

Good point about Syndergaard, though at the time I felt like they were hoping to get an ace and a chance to lock him up long term. They could just be really high on Anderson, it just seems questionable to give up your draft pick to bring on some rotation depth piece for a couple of years unless you were planning to give it up anyway.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Next move?

Probably an outfielder.

The sequence of moves isn’t really important, but they need to add to their outfield at some point— so that’s probably their top priority.

You can roll with Fletcher, Rengifo, and Urshela at 2B/SS if necessary. You can’t roll with Adell/Moniak in LF.

My thoughts as well.  Don't forget Soto - while his offensive performance is entirely unsustainable, he looked good defensively and appeared to be a rather capable option.

Fletcher, Rengifo, and Soto (with Urshela as an occasional option) could be good enough, if the move we make in LF is a strong one.  Adell looks absolutely terrible, and I think Moniak's ceiling is probably that of a 4th OF, not a regular starter.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Good point about Syndergaard, though at the time I felt like they were hoping to get an ace and a chance to lock him up long term. They could just be really high on Anderson, it just seems questionable to give up your draft pick to bring on some rotation depth piece for a couple of years unless you were planning to give it up anyway.

I think they don’t value the pick that highly, and it makes sense.

As I believe you mentioned earlier, Minasian is fighting for his job. He cares about the team’s performance in 2023, not about a draft pick that’s years away

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

My thoughts as well.  Don't forget Soto - while his offensive performance is entirely unsustainable, he looked good defensively and appeared to be a rather capable option.

Fletcher, Rengifo, and Soto (with Urshela as an occasional option) could be good enough, if the move we make in LF is a strong one.  Adell looks absolutely terrible, and I think Moniak's ceiling is probably that of a 4th OF, not a regular starter.

They have like zero outfield depth.

Soto, Velazquez, and Stefanic are the next wave of depth infielders who are outside the active roster. It’s not great, but it’s better than the depth outfielders outside the roster of Whitefield, Aguilar, and Martinez.

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Playing around with that silly Trade Value Simulator site, I came up with..

Jose Suarez (12.8) to Baltimore for Anthony Santander and Dillon Tate (11.9)

Santander fills the other OF slot, Tate slots into back of pen. Tate was someone our new assistant pitching coach Hezel featured numerous times on his Twitter account, implying they worked together at Driveline. Sandoval, Ohtani, and Cobb are also featured as often.

Santander and Tate are both controlled for at least a couple seasons. Angels eat a little bit of arb money taking them instead of retaining Suarez, and will need to pony up a bit of cash to replace Suarez in the rotation, but could be a good way to address a couple needs.

reluctant to trade SP for now.  They've got some depth but not really a surplus if that makes sense.   If you lose one of your rotation pieces for a LFer you're kinda shuffling deck chairs at that point.  

8 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think they don’t value the pick that highly, and it makes sense.

As I believe you mentioned earlier, Minasian is fighting for his job. He cares about the team’s performance in 2023, not about a draft pick that’s years away

I suppose it would make sense that I am more concerned about the draft pick than our current GM is. But pretty classic Angels management really.

7 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

reluctant to trade SP for now.  They've got some depth but not really a surplus if that makes sense.   If you lose one of your rotation pieces for a LFer you're kinda shuffling deck chairs at that point.  

I will agree with your pov too in the sense that that are a ton of FA OF options that interest me more than FA SP options too. 

I really hope they sign one of the mid or big tier FA OFs.