• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

11 hours ago, Trendon said:

It sounds like Estévez has a lot of interest around the league, so it seems bold to say you think the Angels will sign him— unless you know something we don’t.

Nope, just somewhere between a guess and a hunch. This is the ‘what move would you make next’ thread after all. Perry traditionally moves quick and bullpen is probably the next to address.

The Angels can give him the opportunity to close and up his value for a future deal, or they can lock him up for a year or two now at money less than a closer would need. Hits 100. Big dude. Wouldn’t take a huge commitment but could clearly fill a need. It feels like it would align with Anderson, Renfroe, and Urshela - not the flashiest name, a few question marks, but a reasonable commit and cost. 

He‘s clearly affected by pitching in Coors.

158 innings at Coors with a 5.57 ERA, allowing more than a hit per inning (169) and walking 75 against 160 K.

Away? 143 IP, 3.51 ERA, 138 hits, only 43 BB against 152 K. That’s a dramatic difference in BB/9, and a significant difference in H/9 and K/9, suggesting his stuff truly just plays a lot better out of Coors.

After a rough start to ‘22, he had a very solid June through end of year too.

New assistant pitching coach Bill Hezel has liked/retweeted a few Estevez-related things over the years that Driveline metrics liked, things specifically pointing to potential for a big step-up away from Coors. Hezel’s whole Twitter is just filled with stuff mostly about Ohtani, Sandoval, and Cobb preceding his hire, plus lots of mentions about Baltimore’s Dillon Tate and Spenser Watkins. Jharel Cotton (a current free agent) also mentioned a lot. Wouldn’t be surprised if these are guys we’re targeting. Could do our annual Baltimore trade and try to get Tate too.

Edited by totdprods

39 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Nope, just somewhere between a guess and a hunch. This is the ‘what move would you make next’ thread after all. Perry traditionally moves quick and bullpen is probably the next to address.

The Angels can give him the opportunity to close and up his value for a future deal, or they can lock him up for a year or two now at money less than a closer would need. Hits 100. Big dude. Wouldn’t take a huge commitment but could clearly fill a need.

He‘s clearly affected by pitching in Coors.

158 innings at Coors with a 5.57 ERA, allowing more than a hit per inning (169) and walking 75 against 160 K.

Away? 143 IP, 3.51 ERA, 138 hits, only 43 BB against 152 K.

After a rough start to ‘22, he had a very solid June through end of year.

New assistant pitching coach Bill Hezel has liked/retweeted a few Estevez-related things over the years that Driveline metrics liked, things specifically pointing to potential for a big step-up away from Coors. Hezel’s whole Twitter is just filled with stuff mostly about Ohtani, Sandoval, and Cobb preceding his hire, plus lots of mentions about Baltimore’s Dillon Tate and Spenser Watkins. Jharel Cotton (a current free agent) also mentioned a lot. Wouldn’t be surprised if these are guys were targeting.

He would be a good fit. Giving him a chance to win job as closer. Angels would not need much more in BP. With Joyce and a healthy CRod in mix for spots

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

I know I'm a little old-school, but I still see value in a proven closer. I don't think closing a game, including rebounding from a blown save, is a skill everyone can do.  If Arte is really pushing this year to go out with a bang Jansen on a 1 yr should be reasonable. 

I'd spend in the shortstop market at this point. The Angels don't have a solidified closer, but they have plenty of options to fill their bullpen. Murphy/Joyce/Torres and even Bachman can help fill up spots in bullpen. 

They have a TON of young and fun options that'll compete for spots. 

Tepera, Quijada, Herget, Loup, Barria, Wantz, Warren, Devenski, Webb, Marte, Ortega, Rodriguez, Murphy, Joyce, Bachman, Torres.

There's definitely some fun names that could be their debut.

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I know I'm a little old-school, but I still see value in a proven closer. I don't think closing a game, including rebounding from a blown save, is a skill everyone can do.  If Arte is really pushing this year to go out with a bang Jansen on a 1 yr should be reasonable. 

I get what you are saying but if resources are not unlimited, I would rather have a legit SS that can hit than an established closer.

The Angels have quite a few live arm young guys that could be really good closers.

And it is way easier to trade for a closer at the deadline than to trade for a legit SS.

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I watch most of the Braves games and Jansen was really hit and miss after the all star break....Iglesias was better....

39 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I get what you are saying but if resources are not unlimited, I would rather have a legit SS that can hit than an established closer.

The Angels have quite a few live arm young guys that could be really good closers.

And it is way easier to trade for a closer at the deadline than to trade for a legit SS.

Oh I'd prioritize a top SS over a closer for sure. 

17 hours ago, totdprods said:

I think Angels are going to sign Carlos Estevez for the closer role, and relatively soon too.

And I think another arm is gonna sign soon aside from Estevez and Devenski. Jharel Cotton might be another good depth move.

Carlos Estevez? You mean this guy can still pitch?

charlie sheen film GIF

3 hours ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

I think we're signing some of these relievers to minor league deals to find a diamond in the rough so we can go after a SS or another SP.

Just a thought.

That’s kind of how it always is signing relievers via free agency. It’s hard to predict what you’ll get from them 

6 hours ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

I think we're signing some of these relievers to minor league deals to find a diamond in the rough so we can go after a SS or another SP.

Just a thought.

I think it’s just the normal signing of relievers to minor league deals that every team does every offseason.

Last year for the Angels, they signed Kyle Barraclough, Brian Moran, Zack Weiss, Kodi Medeiros, Jonathan Aro, Wander Suero, AJ Ramos, Sean McLaughlin, and Luis Ledo.

39 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think it’s just the normal signing of relievers to minor league deals that every team does every offseason.

Last year for the Angels, they signed Kyle Barraclough, Brian Moran, Zack Weiss, Kodi Medeiros, Jonathan Aro, Wander Suero, AJ Ramos, Sean McLaughlin, and Luis Ledo.

Exactly.  Most teams do the same thing - sign a # of potentially interesting relievers, and hope that perhaps one or two can pan out and be of use during the season.

I actually think it was just to replace the arms for the Renfroe trade for the most part. Doesn’t really have any bearing on what else they’re trying to do. Maybe it solves the pen like Norris, Petit, Parker, and Hernández did that one season. Maybe they never see time outside of SLC. But dealing three fringe arms and signing three fringe arms is a pretty conveniently timed coincidence.