• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Hunter Renfroe from the Brewers for Janson Junk, Elvis Peguero, and Adam Seminaris

mmc

I would have liked that spot to be filled by someone with a higher OBP, and fewer strikeouts, but he's a legitimate power hitter that doesn't seem to be affected by changing teams. However, there's a black hole in LF spot in the Angels' lineup that has affected even All-Star level players in the past.

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

I'm fine with this.  Kinda like a better defensive version of upton but fewer walks.  Maybe the new hitting coaches can coax a bit more obp out of him.  But the lineup is so much more well balanced now.  We need Walsh to bring LHed prowess and it's very dangerous.  

I like the Justin Upton comp but with less walks.  Renfroe has a higher .ISO, so he makes up for a lower OBP.  I'd like to see Renfroe hit behind Trout so that pitchers are pressured to pitch to Trout, to give him some lineup protection that Rendon was supposed to provide.   

8 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I like the Justin Upton comp but with less walks.  Renfroe has a higher .ISO, so he makes up for a lower OBP.  I'd like to see Renfroe hit behind Trout so that pitchers are pressured to pitch to Trout, to give him some lineup protection that Rendon was supposed to provide.   

If we're giving up on Rendon, we might well throw in the towel right now. We aren't competing if Rendon is toast. That said, even injured Rendon was the 6th most valuable position player on the team last season (in only 47 games and less than 200 PA), and was still slightly above league average as a hitter.

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

If we're giving up on Rendon, we might well throw in the towel right now. We aren't competing if Rendon is toast. That said, even injured Rendon was the 6th most valuable position player on the team last season (in only 47 games and less than 200 PA), and was still slightly above league average as a hitter.

I never said to give up on him, however it's difficult to rely on Rendon after all the injuries.  Rendon having the 6th highest WAR for position players is a commentary of how poor the team's depth was last season.  His OPS+ last season was 101 which is literally average and when he did play he didn't look too good and appeared to be unable to generate much power because of his hips .  He still has an excellent eye and that's his saving grace right now for hitting, but I wouldn't bat him behind Trout due to said lack of power.  I would actually bat him leadoff due to his high walk rate, so that he can get on base for Ohtani and Trout.  He still is a good glove at 3B.  I hope he's finally healthy this season and can give the Angels a 4 WAR season but looks like the team has a solid back up plan if he can't play the entire season. 

7 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I never said to give up on him, however it's difficult to rely on Rendon after all the injuries.  Rendon having the 6th highest WAR for position players is a commentary of how poor the team's depth was last season.  His OPS+ last season was 101 which is literally average and when he did play he didn't look too good and appeared to be unable to generate much power because of his hips .  He still has an excellent eye and that's his saving grace right now for hitting, but I wouldn't bat him behind Trout due to said lack of power.  I would actually bat him leadoff due to his high walk rate, so that he can get on base for Ohtani and Trout.  He still is a good glove at 3B.  I hope he's finally healthy this season and can give the Angels a 4 WAR season but looks like the team has a solid back up plan if he can't play the entire season. 

He had a wrist issue. I don't think he's done. And if he is, we're done. It's as simple as that.

4 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

He had a wrist issue. I don't think he's done. And if he is, we're done. It's as simple as that.

That knocked him out in 2022, hip injury was 2021 and looks like it was affecting him during 2022 before the wrist injury.  Rendon's signing is looking a lot like Pujols and that's not good, which is the reason why Perry got Gio Urshela.  Again I hope I'm wrong but it's not looking great for Rendon. 

27 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

That knocked him out in 2022, hip injury was 2021 and looks like it was affecting him during 2022 before the wrist injury.  Rendon's signing is looking a lot like Pujols and that's not good, which is the reason why Perry got Gio Urshela.  Again I hope I'm wrong but it's not looking great for Rendon. 

Wrist was injured in May. A slow start to the season still had him with a 118 wRC+. Not his best, but still well above the 103 wRC+ he finished with. And, honestly, with an injury like that, I'd expect some time before it's 100%, so I wasn't surprised to see him less than his best to start the year. While there are only two months to look at, so small sample size rules apply, he did improve from March/April to May - .221 avg to .259; OBP weirdly dipped slightly, but his slugging went up from .382 to .420, which is particularly noteworthy since the power is what you worry about the most with a hip injury.

I think Urshela is double insurance, personally. Rendon is a concern not just because he's had injuries the last two seasons, but because he hasn't played a full season in three years. If you want the best version of him, it would be smart to give him extra days off to avoid new injuries or re-aggravating old ones. But there's also the fact that Walsh is coming off of an injury that plagued him the last month or so and ended his season - and Walsh can't hit lefties.

9 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think Perry is trading for players that teams want to cut payroll. Do not want to pay that player money he will get in arbitration. Amed Rosario SS for Cleveland could fall into category.

It’s how he got Iglesias from the Reds….solid move….though not trading him at the deadline in 2021 was a mistake and giving him to Atlanta, rather than eating some salary to get a better prospect, seems like a bad deal…

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

It’s how he got Iglesias from the Reds….solid move….though not trading him at the deadline in 2021 was a mistake and giving him to Atlanta, rather than eating some salary to get a better prospect, seemed like a bad deal…

In some ways, trading Iglesias enabled us to sign Anderson.  The payroll cleared with trading his contract was basically used in the Anderson trade.  All things considered, while a closer is nice, I'd probably rather have the SP.

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

I do wonder now if Adell is getting traded.  I know he has one more option, but they acquired a guy that isn’t going to platoon with Adell.  

Renfro is a free agent in 2024 so this is probably a 1 year rental. Enough time to give Adell one more year to improve enough to take the job. 

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

In some ways, trading Iglesias enabled us to sign Anderson.  The payroll cleared with trading his contract was basically used in the Anderson trade.  All things considered, while a closer is nice, I'd probably rather have the SP.

I get that and there is some truth to it. The best course, I think, was to trade him at the deadline in 2021, when he had more value—he was having a better year and he didn’t have a multi-year contract attached. 

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I get that and there is some truth to it. The best course, I think, was to trade him at the deadline in 2021, when he had more value—he was having a better year and he didn’t have a multi-year contract attached. 

Oh yes, absolutely.  That would have been the best course of action.  All that said, it doesn't seem that relievers fetch too much in terms of trades at the deadline if they only have 2 months of control remaining (such as Iglesias did in 2021).  It was a missed opportunity, and we could have gotten a useful prospect or two for him, but it wasn't a crippling decision.

I do give Minasian credit for effectively "undoing" the signing during the 2022 trade deadline.

45 minutes ago, DMVol said:

It’s how he got Iglesias from the Reds….solid move….though not trading him at the deadline in 2021 was a mistake and giving him to Atlanta, rather than eating some salary to get a better prospect, seems like a bad deal…

Gave him money to upgrade team for 2023. Let's see who ends up in BP. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d take Wong, a left handed hitting 3 WAR, second baseman and put Rengifo at SS.  He is great with the glove which will have even more importance moving forward without the shift.  

Problems are:

Wong’s defense has declined the past 3 years (combined dWAR 1.9), just .4 in 2022.

Rengifo is a significantly better 2B than SS.   

Amed Rosario could be another good 1 year acquisition.   Checks the boxes for SS in the field, and aside from lack of BBs, at the plate.

Gives Neto and Soto another year to get ready.

Edited by Angel Oracle