• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Hunter Renfroe from the Brewers for Janson Junk, Elvis Peguero, and Adam Seminaris

mmc

Urshela played 144 last year and I think they expect him to play the same or more this year.

Walsh had a .660 OPS versus RHP's last year. his OPS versus LHP's actually rose from .565 to .595. Still terrible. We don't even know if he will be able to start the season. And if he does can he make the adjustment and turn it around.

My point is that any return to "sick lineups" includes Urshela vs. RHP's.

2 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

Urshela played 144 last year and I think they expect him to play the same or more this year.

Walsh had a .660 OPS versus RHP's last year. his OPS versus LHP's actually rose from .565 to .595. Still terrible. We don't even know if he will be able to start the season. And if he does can he make the adjustment and turn it around.

And I'm telling you if you're expecting him to start against RHP over Walsh if Walsh is playing like he was, you're not living in the real world. 

14 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

And I'm telling you if you're expecting him to start against RHP over Walsh if Walsh is playing like he was, you're crazy. 

I didn't say that. I said that Urshela should be in the lineup vs RHP's. The "sick lineup" post had him on the bench vs. RHP's. That is crazy. He is too good to sit versus RHP's - better than any other Angel infielder last year. I also said we don't know what Walsh is going to be. He is the question mark. If he proves he can hit RHP's like he did in 2021 then sure he should get AB's against them. But Urshela should still be in the lineup vs. RHP's.

26 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

What was Walsh’s OPS vs RHP before July?    That may be when the injury first happened.

20 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

I didn't say that. I said that Urshela should be in the lineup vs RHP's. The "sick lineup" post had him on the bench vs. RHP's. That is crazy. He is too good to sit versus RHP's - better than any other Angel infielder last year. I also said we don't know what Walsh is going to be. He is the question mark. If he proves he can hit RHP's like he did in 2021 then sure he should get AB's against them. But Urshela should still be in the lineup vs. RHP's.

Unless Urshela can play SS well enough to start about 50-60 games there or Rendon got hurt, don’t see where Urshela can start at least 140 games.

My lineups are beginning of season ones, and as we’ve seen, injuries are a way of life.

even if everyone is healthy and playing well, they're going to average about 140-150 games each.  And that just doesn't happen.  Over the last 10 years, the top 9 per year have averaged about 125 games.  

That's more than two player seasons worth of games that need to come off the bench.  And really almost 3 players worth if you assume them absorbing about 125 games each.  Which still leaves another 100 games or so.  

Point being that we're going to see a ton of Urshela vs. RHers.  We're probably going to see some Walsh in LF when Ward or Trout or Renfroe have days off or if Ohtani takes a few more days off this year.  And Urshela will be in there when Walsh and Rendon are off.  And maybe he'll play a little 2b or SS.  

I've said this before about 19 times.  You need about 12 players worth of PA.  

Right now, you've got Rendon, Trout, Stassi, Walsh, Urshela, Renfroe, Fletcher, Ward, Rengifo, Ohtani.  That's 10.  Right now, the other two are a combo of soto/velazquez, moniak, and a backup C.  

Moniak is fine ish because you've got a little flex with guys like Feltch and Walsh capable of playing the OF.  Urshela can pose as a MIFer, but he's not one.  Which leaves you with Rengifo, Fletcher and a backup.  It would be risky to enter the season with our current MIF crew.  Even if you don't go big on a SS, you still need a capable player who could easily end up with 400pa.  

I saw this stat on MLB Network:

Most HR's Among OF's Since Start of 2017 Season

Judge            216

Schwarber    183

Trout              182

Harper           164

Betts              159

Springer         156

Renfroe            153

I can't wait to watch Hunter Renfroe play in an Angel uniform. I think Minasian has made some really good additions to the team.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Really excited about the addition of Urshela, Drury and Renfroe. 

Here's some Renfroe highlights from 2022 to pump you up. 

Also... In case you don't remember, Hunter Renfroe is a former top prospect of the San Diego Padres and first round draft pick. 

"Renfroe was a star prep athlete in small-town Mississippi and was drafted by the Red Sox in the 31st round out of high school in 2010. He instead attended Mississippi State, where he anchored the middle of the Bulldogs' lineup and led them to the College World Series as junior. He was drafted 13th overall after that season in 2013 by the Padres and signed for $2.678 million. Renfroe's carrying tool has long been his double-plus raw power, but up until 2016 it was largely to his pull side and came with a 25 percent career strikeout rate. He closed his stance and shortened his stroke in 2016 at Triple-A El Paso and had his best season yet, hitting 10 of his Pacific Coast League-leading 30 home runs the opposite way and cutting his strikeout rate to 20 percent as he rolled to the circuit's MVP award. He continued to mash after his first big league callup in September with four home runs in 11 games--including a titanic blast onto the roof of the Western Metal Supply Co. building, beyond the left-field wall at Petco Park. He was named the National League Player of the Week for the final week of the regular season. Renfroe's improved feel to hit and massive power comes with a double-plus arm in right field and the athleticism to hold down the position ably. His aggressiveness swinging in early counts will keep his strikeouts high and his walks low, but the swing adjustments he has made give him a better chance to make conisistent contact and annually reach his 30-homer potential. He will be the Padres' Opening Day right fielder in 2017 and represents the franchise's best hope to be its first impactful first-round draft selection since Derrek Lee in 1993."