• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Hunter Renfroe from the Brewers for Janson Junk, Elvis Peguero, and Adam Seminaris

mmc

I'm not in love with Renfroe's statistical profile: low BA and walks = really useless if slumping, and just a smidgeon of lost bat speed alway from collapse.

But...love this move for 2023. There's no sign of decline, he's a solid player, and they Angels gave away three fringe guys - none of them on the Angelswin top 30 (they're all 30-40ish).

Edited by Angelsjunky

24 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not in love with Renfroe's statistical profile: low BA and walks = really useless if slumping, and just a smidgeon of lost bat speed alway from collapse.

But...love this move for 2023. There's no sign of decline, he's a solid player, and they Angels gave away three fringe guys - none of them on the Angelswin top 30 (they're all 30-40ish).

It's not like he's an All-Star, but he'll almost certainly be quite a bit better than 2022 Marsh/Adell/Magneuris Sierra. Going from that and Andrew Velasquez to Renfroe and Urshela (probably?) in a matter of days improves the overall lineup quite a bit. The back half of our 2022 lineup was abysmal last year, so getting dudes in there who we can count on to not be objectively terrible is a huge improvement in and of itself.

9 minutes ago, Don said:

It's not like he's an All-Star, but he'll almost certainly be quite a bit better than 2022 Marsh/Adell/Magneuris Sierra. Going from that and Andrew Velasquez to Renfroe and Urshela (probably?) in a matter of days improves the overall lineup quite a bit. The back half of our 2022 lineup was abysmal last year, so getting dudes in there who we can count on to not be objectively terrible is a huge improvement in and of itself.

Probably the more apt comparison, in terms of Urshela, would be going from Duffy/Mayfield/Rojas to Urshela.  That's effectively a 4-5 win swing, as others have pointed out.

If we upgrade our SS spot, then it will essentially be going from Velazquez to whomever we acquire.

9 minutes ago, T.G. said:

How fitting...

15 years ago on Nov. 22, 2007 the Angels signed Torii Hunter

Yesterday, on Nov. 22, 2022 the Angels traded for Hunter Renfroe

Afro to renfro 

Soul power to ISO(lated) Power (which someone above said his numbers are good)

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Probably the more apt comparison, in terms of Urshela, would be going from Duffy/Mayfield/Rojas to Urshela.  That's effectively a 4-5 win swing, as others have pointed out.

If we upgrade our SS spot, then it will essentially be going from Velazquez to whomever we acquire.

+ whatever Rendon gives us.

7 hours ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Are you speculating or do you know something? Because you're more than likely right.

Bullpen and SS next I have to imagine.

This is public information...

#Angels manager Phil Nevin also said on MLBNR today: “Perry’s relentless in his work and going about building our roster, and been given these resources by our ownership, which is nice. And the conversations we’ve had all winter— we’re not done— there’s gonna be more to add.”

38 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes, exactly. Going from negative performance to average performance is a huge plus. I mean, if the Angels can get 1100 PA of 4-5 WAR from Urshela and Renfroe, they're essentially replacing 1100 PA of maybe -1 to 0 WAR, so it is a +4-6 win gain. 

In theory.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

It's possible - not really sure, and I'm guessing the FO would do its due diligence prior to acquiring him in terms of his health and whatnot.

He's due 10mil this year.  I'm guessing we would probably have the DBacks pay more than half that remaining amount, in addition to basically giving up a flyer for him.

He would not be my first choice or anything like that, but he would likely improve our defense significantly and be an upgrade over Velazquez.

Not just the shoulder, but also Ahmed’s dWAR in 2021 was just 1.0.

That with a poor OPS in 2021 says stay away.

17 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I agree, Ward's arm doesn't really profile for a RFer and he's terrible there with a -.8 WAR.  Usually your weakest OFer plays LF. 

Ward has spent enough time at 3B that he’ll be a little more familiar with the angles on hits to that side of the field too.

If I’m remembering, last year was Ward’s first full year as an outfielder too. And he wasn’t bad. Can probably hope for some improvement, especially knowing he’s locked in to playing time and one position. for the first time.

On June 5th, the game Iglesias and Herget blew against the Phillies, the Angels dropped below .500 for the rest of the season. That game, here is who they started at several key positions:

3B - Matt Duffy
RF - Jo Adell
LF - Brandon Marsh
C - Kurt Suzuki
2B - Tyler Wade
SS - Andrew Velazquez

Think about that. We already have a better rotation than last year with 1 more move likely coming, and our bullpen leveled out after the ASB last year. I imagine an upgrade or two is coming, as is Chris Rodriguez, Luke Murphy, Torres, etc. And now, this is how it should look:

3B - Rendon, Urshela if injured
RF - Renfroe
LF - Ward
C - Stassi/O'Hoppe/FA
2B - Rengifo, Fletcher, (if we trade Rengifo), Urshela
SS - Rengifo at worst, upgrade at best. 

This is a massive raising of the floor. Even if you add Soto to the mix, who will NOT hit like he did in his cup of coffee. But still, if he settles around average with great defense he is light years ahead of Velazquez. SS is all but certain to have a better starter than anyone that played there last year. I am entirely optimistic about these moves. 

Edited by ThisismineScios
--

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

On June 5th, the game Iglesias and Herget blew against the Phillies, the Angels dropped below .500 for the rest of the season. That game, here is who they started at several key positions:

3B - Matt Duffy
RF - Jo Adell
LF - Brandon Marsh
C - Kurt Suzuki
2B - Tyler Wade
SS - Andrew Velazquez

Think about that. We already have a better rotation than last year with 1 more move likely coming, and our bullpen leveled out after the ASB last year. I imagine an upgrade or two is coming, as is Chris Rodriguez, Luke Murphy, Torres, etc. And now, this is how it should look:

3B - Rendon, Urshela if injured
RF - Renfroe
LF - Ward
C - Stassi/O'Hoppe/FA
2B - Rengifo, Fletcher, (if we trade Rengifo), Urshela
SS - Rengifo at worst, upgrade at best. 

This is a massive raising of the floor. Even if you add Soto to the mix, who will NOT hit like he did in his cup of coffee. But still, if he settles around average with great defense he is light years ahead of Velazquez. SS is all but certain to have a better starter than anyone that played there last year. I am entirely optimistic about these moves. 

Absolutely.  Improving our depth and “raising the floor” is definitely the most important thing we can do this off-season.

Per BR, we had 10 position players who registered a bWAR above 0, and a whopping 21 guys (!!) who registered below 0.  That’s mind-boggling.