• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Hunter Renfroe from the Brewers for Janson Junk, Elvis Peguero, and Adam Seminaris

mmc

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Notably, Renfroe is projected to earn ~11mil in his last arbitration year.

Fangraphs has already updated the payroll page to reflect this, and our current team payroll is estimated to be around 191mil and luxury tax estimate around 206mil.

I think going over the lux tax will not be a big thing for Arte this year. Angel's go over by 5 or 10 million the tax would not be that much. Is it not set at 233 this year. Bullpen pieces, another starter, plus a SS. Minasian does not stop here, so much done early before winter meetings. 

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I sincerely hope that Adell is spending this winter falling over himself trying anything he possibly can to improve.

I have no doubt he isn't, and doesn't want to. But he (and the team) need to realize his window is closing fast. The one that went from "next big thing superstar" to "released" one.

He's got one option year left. Renfroe is a one year contract. There will be opportunities with the club this season also since I don't see all three guys staying healthy for every single week of the year. He isn't done, but he needs to take seriously his shortcomings instead of coming in with an entitled attitude. 

Solid and better than I expected relative to Perry's recent comments about getting someone to 'compete'.   He's a better defender per the metrics than I expected.  Renfroe has also been parked at 1b and CF as well.  I would guess those are his best spots but in a pinch at least he's familiar with both.  

What they gave up isn't too hurtful.   Seminaris and Junk are both pretty much depth fodder.  Might see Junk as the 6th man somewhere at some point or even in a pen roll.  Peguero is probably the only one I feel stings a bit.  He's got a chance to be a very solid if not good reliever.  Good FB/Slider combo.  Heavy ball with lots of grounders.  Limits walks.  He was gonna be one of my sleeper picks to become a solid pen arm for the halos this year.  

I've was very wrong about their spending this winter.  I would have said they've gotta be done but it sure would be nice if they get a MIF and closer.  

I'll share all my thoughts at once just to get them out. 

- I double as a Padres fan, have for nearly 20 years now. Renfroe is STILL beloved by SD fans. He's a good clubhouse guy and good with the kids.

- Like clockwork, you can inject 30 HR's and a .315 OBP to the lineup. 

- Highly entertaining player. Faster than you think. Incredible arm strength, his OF assists are so fun. His HR's are never cheap either. 

- He's a better defensive Mark Trumbo. 

- Jo Adell hit something like .204 in AAA last season. Yeah, he needs to spend an entire year there before trying the whole big leagues thing again. 

Back to Renfroe, he can be streaky too, frustratingly so. He can carry an offense at times and also be part of the problem others. As long as you're not relying on him too much, you won't be disappointed. If he's hitting somewhere 6-9, you're good to go.

- The Angels got him for a reasonable price. 11 million isn't that bad, given his upside. Junk and Seminaris are back end guys at best, but losing Peguero may end up hurting. He throws a hard, heavy ball. 

- Renfroe always seems to be on the verge of having a truly epic season. Yeah .315 OBP isn't great, but if he can find consistency and stay in a groove, he could easily hit 40 HR's with a stronger OBP. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Adell needs spend the entire season in AAA. 

adell needs a reality check. i hope he's getting one, but my inclination is that he's probably just souring on the Angels. i get that inclination from watching him speak about himself as a player in extended interviews, some of the podcast variety. i'd bet he'd be totally fine with being traded. although i don't know jack shit all about him or his thoughts really.

34 minutes ago, ukyah said:

adell needs a reality check. i hope he's getting one, but my inclination is that he's probably just souring on the Angels. i get that inclination from watching him speak about himself as a player in extended interviews, some of the podcast variety. i'd bet he'd be totally fine with being traded. although i don't know jack shit all about him or his thoughts really.

Baseball is hard. Adell is well spoken and understands he has to perform. He hasn't held it against the Angels. I think right now he's just in his own head, like Brandon Wood was.

It's what happens to a lot of guys that have never experienced failure before. Picture always being the best player on the field your whole life, everything makes sense, you win. Your whole life, people have told you how amazing and special you are. Not adjustments ever needed, you were gifted from both with more athletic talent than anyone and any shortcomings you have are compensated by this talent. 

Then suddenly, your whole world comes crashing down because there are people better and more talented than you, and no matter what you do, you can't seem to solve this puzzle. To a 20-something kid under enormous pressure, words like bust, failure, fraud are swirling around and you feel like you're letting yourself and everyone else down. 

The mental game, is freaking hard. That's the one thing you can't assess pre-draft, how someone will respond to adversity and failure. How quickly they'll adjust. Where their mind goes. When Trout first came up, he had the perfect response to failure. When Shohei looked completely overmatched that first Spring, he too, had the perfect response to failure. 

We'll see what Adell does. Not looking good right now, but it's also too early to write him off. 

I will say this though. Guys that tend to succeed, don't get too caught up in current events outside of the foul lines. Adell could learn from that. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Back to Renfroe, he can be streaky too, frustratingly so. He can carry an offense at times and also be part of the problem others. As long as you're not relying on him too much, you won't be disappointed. If he's hitting somewhere 6-9, you're good to go.

I'm fine with this.  Kinda like a better defensive version of upton but fewer walks.  Maybe the new hitting coaches can coax a bit more obp out of him.  But the lineup is so much more well balanced now.  We need Walsh to bring LHed prowess and it's very dangerous.  

1 minute ago, drpiranha said:

Wouldn't you put the player with the best arm in RF to cut down runners going from 1B to 3B?

I would, not sure what they are thinking or what their metrics are saying about his defense beyond the arm.  But yeah man, conventional wisdom says you do just that.

No idea what their plan is, but he can fire a baseball.

4 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I'm fine with this.  Kinda like a better defensive version of upton but fewer walks.  Maybe the new hitting coaches can coax a bit more obp out of him.  But the lineup is so much more well balanced now.  We need Walsh to bring LHed prowess and it's very dangerous.  

A little too optimistic, I think. First, he's worked with better hitting coaches than the Angels have, though I hear good things regarding Thames' personality, so maybe they mesh. But even if Renfroe and Urshela do their thing, I wouldn't consider the offense VERY dangerous. More like competent. 

2 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Good pickup. Between Renfroe and Urshela, that adds 4-5 wins to last season replacing zero win (or worse) players/injury subs. 

The interesting part is that no one on this forum (aspiring GM's)  had previously discussed any of these pick ups.  Perry and Nevin are on another level entirely 

1 minute ago, Swordsman78 said:

The interesting part is that no one on this forum (aspiring GM's)  had previously discussed any of these pick ups.  Perry and Nevin are on another level entirely 

Indeed, he's better than David Peralta, as name that's been floated about. I figured they would get a Dexter Fowler type, and I was sort of right, and sort of wrong. One year fix, relatively inexpensive. I got that part right. But the nature of the player being a slugger... Didn't see that coming. 

But it makes sense. It is what the offense needs. 

5 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Anderson was mentioned, the other two were not (as far as I remember), but they were also trades. It's extremely difficult to predict the trade market because we haven't the faintest idea who is available and for what cost.