• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Tamin’s Bullpen Algorithm

BTH

Joe Maddon was complaining in his book about Alex Tamin’s bullpen usage algorithm, but the data shows that Angels’ relievers were healthier in 2021 and 2022 using Tamin’s algorithm than they were in 2020 when they weren’t using Tamin’s algorithm:

Year RP's Days on IL MLB Rank
2022 280 26
2021 292 29
2020 179 12

*2020 was the 60-game season, hence the lower # of days. 26th means 25 teams had more RP’s days on IL than the Angels, 29th means 28 teams had more RP’s days on IL than the Angels, etc.*

For reference, this is what Maddon said:

“Tam had the 30-day matrix built on how to use relief pitchers, how often and how much rest they needed. Honestly, that’s insulting.”

Maddon read body language, mechanics, clues in how his players answered his questions . . . all the insights gleaned from 42 seasons in professional baseball.

I’ll trust Tamin’s algorithm more than Maddon’s “feel.”

6 hours ago, Trendon said:

Joe Maddon was complaining in his book about Alex Tamin’s bullpen usage algorithm, but the data shows that Angels’ relievers were healthier in 2021 and 2022 using Tamin’s algorithm than they were in 2020 when they weren’t using Tamin’s algorithm:

2022 280 26
2021 292 29
2020 179 12

*2020 was the 60-game season, hence the lower # of days. 26th means 25 teams had more RP’s days on IL than the Angels, 29th means 28 teams had more RP’s days on IL than the Angels, etc.*

“Tam had the 30-day matrix built on how to use relief pitchers, how often and how much rest they needed. Honestly, that’s insulting.”

Maddon read body language, mechanics, clues in how his players answered his questions . . . all the insights gleaned from 42 seasons in professional baseball.

I haven't checked the data, but it felt like the pitching was alot better after Maddon left....heck even tepera has an era around 3 after Maddon left.

I mean this is same guy that let cisheck pitch in key situations, when everyone was against it.

hmm.  I wonder why a manager would need a matrix on how to not overwork his bullpen.  

btw, how's Chris Rodriguez recovering from his shoulder injury?  

If your argument is that analytics has sterilized the game and made it less fun to watch on a game to game basis then I can understand.  

But instead of discussing what's gonna happen in 2023, I rather be like one of the fans for the 14 teams talking about pitching matchups and lineup still.  

100 regular season wins are fun.  The playoffs are fun.  Meaningful games in September are fun.   Hell, I'd take some meaningful games in August or even July.  

Fans of teams that win probably have fewer discussions about what's to blame for why they suck.  

9 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I haven't checked the data, but it felt like the pitching was alot better after Maddon left....heck even tepera has an era around 3 after Maddon left.

I mean this is same guy that let cisheck pitch in key situations, when everyone was against it.

I don’t care for Maddon but the top 3 relievers all had awful months of May. I don’t put that on him. Since I don’t blame him for that I won’t also give credit to Nevin for them rebounding from an awful patch. It was late in the season when Tepera changed a pitch or a usage. We also saw after Maddon leave that Suarez started using a second type of change up and changed his pitch usage. I don’t know if those things are manager related or not. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t care for Maddon but the top 3 relievers all had awful months of May. I don’t put that on him. Since I don’t blame him for that I won’t also give credit to Nevin for them rebounding from an awful patch. It was late in the season when Tepera changed a pitch or a usage. We also saw after Maddon leave that Suarez started using a second type of change up and changed his pitch usage. I don’t know if those things are manager related or not. 

Normally in most posts, if you look hard enough, you can find something relevant, worthwhile, or even educational.  "Most", but not all.

18 hours ago, Trendon said:

2022 280 26
2021 292 29
2020 179 12

Take a knee and pray on the alter of advance metrics.

I wonder what matrixes and algorithms they had for the hitters. That didn't work.

2021 - Walsh hit a .850 OPS. In 2022 - Walsh has a .642 OPS.

2021- Stassi hit a .752 OPS. In 2022 - Stassi had a .571 OPS.

And there were others.

Team scored 723 runs in 2021, and Trout and Rendon missed the majority of the year. 

In 2022, scored 623 runs. Trout missed a month and Rendon missed the majority of the year.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

I wonder what matrixes and algorithms they had for the hitters. That didn't work.

2021 - Walsh hit a .850 OPS. In 2022 - Walsh has a .642 OPS.

2021- Stassi hit a .752 OPS. In 2022 - Stassi had a .571 OPS.

And there were others.

Team scored 723 runs in 2021, and Trout and Rendon missed the majority of the year. 

In 2022, scored 623 runs. Trout missed a month and Rendon missed the majority of the year.

The AL saw the number of runs drop from 11,178 in 2021 to 10,259 in 2022.   

The Angels OPS+ in 21 was 94.  In 2022 it was again, 94.

We know things like different balls, and unearned runs can impact the total of runs scored.  Meanwhile weighted stats are weighted.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

The AL saw the number of runs drop from 11,178 in 2021 to 10,259 in 2022.   

Meanwhile the Angels OPS+ in 21 was 94.  In 2022 it was again, 94.

We know things like different balls, and unearned runs can impact the total of runs scored.  Meanwhile weighted stats are weighted.

quit it with your 'advanced' metrics.  

they just didn't have the right algorithm for Suzuki, Rojas, Wade, Villar, Lagares, Mayfield Sierra, Adell, MacKinnon, Aguilar, Duggar, Whitfield, Stefanic, Thaiss, Duffy, Wallach, Romine, Ford, Thomas, Moniak, Stassi, Harrison, and Velazquez.  

Maddon got Trout, Ward, Rengifo, Livan Soto and Ohtani to ignore it so they fired him.  Walsh didn't look at it at first, but they made him wear one of those plastic covid shields and pasted it inside. 

'Hey Joe, Perry just called and he want's you to make Walsh put his shield on'.    

On 10/7/2022 at 6:51 AM, Swordsman78 said:

Normally in most posts, if you look hard enough, you can find something relevant, worthwhile, or even educational.  "Most", but not all.

This is what makes the "pubes" posts the best. They're always perfectly timed. Like a lead body hook.