• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022-23 Free Agency Early Look

mmc

I think they’re much more likely to make the major upgrades through trading. But having signed Raisel to a 4 year deal, and at least offered a few others, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Bassitt type. 

Bell makes a ton of sense but he’ll be expensive. And I doubt we spend big on 1B. If anything, I think the biggest contract goes to SS or SP. 

We need to do two things with our payroll.  One, extend Ohtani.  He should be mlb's first 45 mil a year player. 

Two, sign one of the SS.  I would like Swanson, because he's younger, and he probably won't have the asking price of Boegarts.  

If we do anything else, we need to increase the payroll enough to add another starter, someone like Bassitt, and another hitter, I would like to add Mancini, because we really need to address our lack of offense.  

12 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Is it stupid to consider Ohtani at 1B? If he is in fact going to be locked up that might be better for the team than DH.

I know it adds to the injury risk. But I assume stealing bases is a bigger risk than playing 1B.

it's too much to ask ohtani to play the field and you can verify that as evidenced by the fact that ohtani doesn't do it. he's the greatest two way player in the history of mlb. if he could do it, then he would. the fact that he doesn't means he can't on a substantive basis. it's not about injury, it's about energy.

12 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

We need to do two things with our payroll.  One, extend Ohtani.  He should be mlb's first 45 mil a year player. 

Two, sign one of the SS.  I would like Swanson, because he's younger, and he probably won't have the asking price of Boegarts.  

If we do anything else, we need to increase the payroll enough to add another starter, someone like Bassitt, and another hitter, I would like to add Mancini, because we really need to address our lack of offense.  

How realistic is Swanson?

I was wondering... who are those FA's that sign for "reasonable" contracts that pan out pretty well?  I started looking at last year's group and I found - Tyler Anderson (Dodgers) 1 year - $8 million

I didn't keep digging... Seems like these kinds of guys are few and far between?  Seems like these kinds of guys usually resign with their current team.  Just spit balling here.

9 hours ago, T.G. said:

I was wondering... who are those FA's that sign for "reasonable" contracts that pan out pretty well?  I started looking at last year's group and I found - Tyler Anderson (Dodgers) 1 year - $8 million

I didn't keep digging... Seems like these kinds of guys are few and far between?  Seems like these kinds of guys usually resign with their current team.  Just spit balling here.

This is why I think you sometimes need to overpay. You need consistent production, even if it’s not exactly what was expected. The Mariners overpaid for Robbie Ray, but I doubt they regret it. The only real danger is the amount of years. 

8 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

This is why I think you sometimes need to overpay. You need consistent production, even if it’s not exactly what was expected. The Mariners overpaid for Robbie Ray, but I doubt they regret it. The only real danger is the amount of years. 

His ERA has gone from 2.84 in 2021 to 3.96 this year. I doubt they're very happy with giving him $115 million.

2 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

No, I know he’s regressed. What I’m saying is if you can get your hands on above average, you deal with an overpay. 

But he hasn't been above average. In fact, among qualified starters, his ERA ranks 43rd out of 59 in MLB. 

He would be #4 on our team, #5 if you include Syndergaard.

6 hours ago, Lou said:

But he hasn't been above average. In fact, among qualified starters, his ERA ranks 43rd out of 59 in MLB. 

I still wouldn’t mind having him knowing he is capable of being better than that.  Would you be shocked at all if he pitched like a very solid #2 next year?

I wouldn’t.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, T.G. said:

All under $7M AAV:

Michael Wacha, Jordan Lyles, Nick Martinez, Martin Peréz, Chris Archer, Johnny Cueto

Andrew Chafin, Yimi Garcia, Colin McHugh, Brooks Raley, Mychal Givens, Adam Ottavino, Luis García, David Robertson, Matt Strahm, Chris Martin

Josh Harrison, Donovan Solano

Joc Pederson

On 8/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, ThisismineScios said:

If anything, I think the biggest contract goes to SS or SP. 

The problem is, like last offseason, it’s a top heavy SS class.

There aren’t really any average to slightly above SS’s available to sign to like a 2-3 year deal at an AAV between 10-15 million.

If you want a SS, you’ll have to pay up for Turner, Correa, Bogaerts, or Swanson.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, T.G. said:

Marte is killing it on the Mets. He signed four year for $78m. 

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

There aren’t really any average to slightly above SS’s available to sign to like a 2-3 year deal at an AAV between 10-15 million.

If you want a SS, you’ll have to pay up for Turner, Correa, Bogaerts, or Swanson.

Exactly. Either Arte panics and pays for one of those 4, or we sign a Bassitt or Manaea. I kind of hope Perry does a combination of trading and signing. 

This question is changing constantly though--what is our biggest offensive need going to be? 2B and SS suddenly don't look so awful. 

16 hours ago, Lou said:

Fair; I hadn't checked his ERA+ since the all star break. He's been hovering right above average all year. My point is I doubt the Mariners are panicking about it, even though it's an obvious overpay. He's still a good enough starter, even if he's not what he was last year. 

19 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Exactly. Either Arte panics and pays for one of those 4, or we sign a Bassitt or Manaea. I kind of hope Perry does a combination of trading and signing. 

This question is changing constantly though--what is our biggest offensive need going to be? 2B and SS suddenly don't look so awful. 

That's why I think the priority should be adding a quality hitter at 1B and LF. Then you can add someone for cheap at 2B/SS to go with Rengifo and Fletcher.

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

Funny enough. When Correa was available, and his name popped up on here, it was an eye roll. "We don't need bats, we need pitching".

Now you look back, and....

17 hours ago, Lou said:

But he hasn't been above average. In fact, among qualified starters, his ERA ranks 43rd out of 59 in MLB

Well there you go. The 43rd best starter in the league is a number 2 starter.

There are like 200 starting pitchers in MLB. 

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well there you go. The 43rd best starter in the league is a number 2 starter.

There are like 200 starting pitchers in MLB. 

Qualified starters.

There are many more that weren't included that are having a better season better than Ray. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:54 AM, floplag said:

On the short term, yeah, it is, there is no other path available in that window. 
You want even a chance at keeping Ohtani, the short window is all that matters. 

If you want to keep Ohtani, and I have to think they do, then you have to do something to immediately improve the team and show him this is the place he’ll want to be.

I’d pull out all the stops and sign Trea Turner.