• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022-23 Free Agency Early Look

mmc

6 hours ago, Tank said:

If you want to keep Ohtani, and I have to think they do, then you have to do something to immediately improve the team and show him this is the place he’ll want to be.

I’d pull out all the stops and sign Trea Turner.

Trea Turner would cost 35 to 40 mill a year. He's going to Philly. You sign Ohtani at 40 plus with Rendon and Trout you tie up 150 on 4 players. That is not going to happen.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:46 PM, Trendon said:

That's why I think the priority should be adding a quality hitter at 1B and LF. Then you can add someone for cheap at 2B/SS to go with Rengifo and Fletcher.

I agree with this.

Neto was likely drafted to be our SS of the very near future.  The FO has clearly fast-tracked him.  I can't see the FO going out and signing someone like Turner as a result.

We are "fortunate" in that we appear to have our up-the-middle spots basically largely determined in terms of the near future.  Trout will continue to man CF, Neto will likely be the SS by 2024 if not late in 2023, Fletcher or Rengifo will man 2B (with the other being a utility player), and Stassi will play C until O'Hoppe is ready fairly soon.

We need Rendon to stay healthy, and we need to improve in the corners.  I like the idea of signing someone like Joc Pederson to play LF.  I think it shouldn't cost too much to significant upgrade 1B/LF, and a lot of the remaining $$ can be used to help fortify the rotation and, possibly, the pen.

I see a few posters bring up Joc Pederson, and there's a few things you need to know. First, he's a platoon player. You'll need someone that can hit LHP sharing time with him. And second, as of two years ago, Joc made it clear to his agent that he had no desire to be traded to the Angels. I don't foresee him signing a few agent deal here. 

Minasian admitted he needed to pour more resources into fixing the offense, and that he feels the bullpen has some bad luck and will turn it around. 

My guess is, Perry is going to bring in someone like Brandon Drury to play the Matt Duffy role, where he augments the offense at multiple positions and gives them depth. And that, combined with the return of Trout and Rendon, will help the offense. The only problem is that Drury is having a career year coming into FA, everyone knows what happens when you sign those guys. They turn back into pumpkins as soon as the ink dries.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

I see a few posters bring up Joc Pederson, and there's a few things you need to know. First, he's a platoon player. You'll need someone that can hit LHP sharing time with him. And second, as of two years ago, Joc made it clear to his agent that he had no desire to be traded to the Angels. I don't foresee him signing a few agent deal here. 

Minasian admitted he needed to pour more resources into fixing the offense, and that he feels the bullpen has some bad luck and will turn it around. 

My guess is, Perry is going to bring in someone like Brandon Drury to play the Matt Duffy role, where he augments the offense at multiple positions and gives them depth. And that, combined with the return of Trout and Rendon, will help the offense. The only problem is that Drury is having a career year coming into FA, everyone knows what happens when you sign those guys. They turn back into pumpkins as soon as the ink dries.

What, like Zack Cozart? 

Agree on Joc. He’s not it; he is very strictly a platoon. Part of his appeal every winter is that he is eminently tradable. His high profile playoff years inflated his value. Best case for the Angels is actually if Adell shows he can hold down the LF spot. That, like the suddenly less necessary SS splurge, allows shifting resources elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I agree with this.

Neto was likely drafted to be our SS of the very near future.  The FO has clearly fast-tracked him.  I can't see the FO going out and signing someone like Turner as a result.

We are "fortunate" in that we appear to have our up-the-middle spots basically largely determined in terms of the near future.  Trout will continue to man CF, Neto will likely be the SS by 2024 if not late in 2023, Fletcher or Rengifo will man 2B (with the other being a utility player), and Stassi will play C until O'Hoppe is ready fairly soon.

We need Rendon to stay healthy, and we need to improve in the corners.  I like the idea of signing someone like Joc Pederson to play LF.  I think it shouldn't cost too much to significant upgrade 1B/LF, and a lot of the remaining $$ can be used to help fortify the rotation and, possibly, the pen.

The only viable option to upgrade at SS is probably is one of the FAs is willing to take 3/90. Or, if a more mild upgrade option suddenly is available via trade—like a Rosario or someone similar. 

32 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

The only viable option to upgrade at SS is probably is one of the FAs is willing to take 3/90. Or, if a more mild upgrade option suddenly is available via trade—like a Rosario or someone similar. 

This is true, and honestly, I think we either trade for a short-term option or just ride with what we have next year.  I think Neto's current trajectory indicates the FO thinks he's not too far away.  If you assume he spends most of next year splitting his time between AA and AAA, it would seem likely he'd be ready by sometime during the 2024 season.  This means we'd just need to slap a bandaid (again) on SS in the 2024 season.  Maybe Fletcher and Rengifo can form a SS/2B combo for next year?

Either way, I'm assuming we have somewhere in the 40-50mil range of payroll to spend.  That should be more than enough to get another SP, a reliever or two, and some hitters who can occupy corner spots (LF/RF/1B/3B).

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

Interesting - I didn't know that tidbit about Pederson.

Either way - I think that they can probably fairly easily find some options to strengthen the lineup.  The most expensive spots to fill are usually SS/CF/3B, and we have those spots either filled or accounted for (i.e. Neto and O'Hoppe soon).  Finding another hitter or two who can cover LF/RF/1B/3B as needed should help a lot.  The fact that we have to roll out Gosselin to start games at 3B/1B right now in painful, and a reminder that we need more depth and better offensive options.

There's a lot of exciting potential in AA, IMO, and if I squint hard enough, I can see reasons for optimism, but there definitely needs to be work done to improve the offense and get a veteran SP (or two) to help strengthen the starting staff.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Interesting - I didn't know that tidbit about Pederson.

Either way - I think that they can probably fairly easily find some options to strengthen the lineup.  The most expensive spots to fill are usually SS/CF/3B, and we have those spots either filled or accounted for (i.e. Neto and O'Hoppe soon).  Finding another hitter or two who can cover LF/RF/1B/3B as needed should help a lot. 

I wonder if @Second Base means Stripling? He was livid about being traded here, and openly expressed being relieved when it was canceled. Could have been both of them. 

If Bellinger was a little better he’d be great. Great defender at 1B and OF with some power. But alas he’s worse than Walsh hitting wise.

I remember reading that Perry wants to make sure our backups players are of high caliber, so if a starter goes down, we don't go down to Duffy/Mayfield/McKinnon level of players.  Our bench has sucked for quite the time.  I wouldn't mind knowing that our backup is more than capable of holding the line before the starter comes back from injury.  Because we ALL know it's going to happen.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:49 AM, Lou said:

But he hasn't been above average. In fact, among qualified starters, his ERA ranks 43rd out of 59 in MLB. 

He would be #4 on our team, #5 if you include Syndergaard.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:52 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well there you go. The 43rd best starter in the league is a number 2 starter.

There are like 200 starting pitchers in MLB. 

Out of 2022 starters with a minimum of 50 IP, Ray ranks 71st out of 150 pitchers in terms of ERA.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=50&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=17,a&page=3_30

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

We shouldn’t pass if we can land Turner.  Neto is capable of playing 2B if he’s ready.  We need to get a couple of high OBP guys to assist Trout & Ohtani.

Thing is, they can’t pay Trout, Ohtani, Rendon, and Turner, and not have much else left to pay.

This isn’t the NBA.

8 hours ago, ettin said:

Just saying, if you are only looking at ERA and ignoring innings pitched you gotta add in guys like Jansen Junk and Elvis Peguero to make up the missing innings. The team ERA line doesn't look so hot anymore after that.

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Just saying, if you are only looking at ERA and ignoring innings pitched you gotta add in guys like Jansen Junk and Elvis Peguero to make up the missing innings. The team ERA line doesn't look so hot anymore after that.

They use stats from games started by every pitcher. Elvis Peguero hasn't started a game.