• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022-23 Free Agency Early Look

mmc

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think it's something worse than that. It's like the kid with deadbeat dad, thinking "if I just do this he'll be proud of me." Not understanding the brokenness has a different root cause. 

There's a path to victory here, but not through free agency.

Agree, regarding the big money guys.

Someone like Bassitt makes a lot of sense to slot between Sandoval and Detmers.

Then you have a whole lot of pitchers battling for spots 5 and 6.   Bush, Suarez, Erla, Barria (if kept), Crow, etc.

Find a closer on a short deal to groom late innings guys like Bachman, Silseth, Ortega, and Murphy.

Find a decent enough MIF to back up Rengifo and Fletcher, someone who can put up at least a .700 OPS and field decently enough.   Squid is great defensively, but almost a zero with the bat.

Find a 2nd catcher better than Suzuki, if O’Hoppe still needs another partial season to be ready.

OF - have to hope that Adell and Moniak can do a solid enough job alongside Trout and Ward.

And of course, if Ohtani does not end up re-signing this off-season, the above definitely changes.

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Is it stupid to consider Ohtani at 1B? If he is in fact going to be locked up that might be better for the team than DH.

I know it adds to the injury risk. But I assume stealing bases is a bigger risk than playing 1B.

Ask John olerud. That guy lived dangerously lol

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

Maybe, but I'd figure him between Seager and Semien. Swanson makes more sense, and is younger and will be cheaper. I know they have minor league depth, but you can't count on it being ready at a certain point. Neto is still three years away from being a regular and possibly two years away from the show, Paris too. Jackson may be ready in 2023, but he wouldn't be a regular until 2024 or 2025.

As They clearly need to upgrade offense, what's your suggestion?

This off season first question I would need answered is Ohtani staying in 2023. If Minasian and Arte are not going to trade him, and he will be on Angels next season I start there. If Ohtani is on team, I upgrade offense first. You would have 3 decent starters in Sandoval, Detmers and Ohtani. Suarez could be one of other 3. Health of Trout and Rendon will again determine how far this team goes. Without both healthy team will have 8th straight losing season. With Ohtani on team his money will be around 25 mill. I have not looked at all possible MIF but big names Correa, Trea Turner, Bogaerts would be off the table. Swanson is younger and would make an attempt after him. I think Dodgers will not end up with Trea Turner but they will go after Swanson and put Lux at 2nd. Lot of money coming off books for Dodgers and with Mets will be big players for Ohtani after 2023 season. My biggest concern for Angels is I do not think Minasian can put a decent roster together. Players signed last off season none really worked out. I would spend money in off season on offense, 1B, SS, OF and C. Bullpen has 5 or more I bring back. Loup and Tepera signed plus Quijada, Herget, Barria maybe Wantz rest from farm. Ortega could take a spot. I spend 0 dollars on bullpen. Quijada should close rest of this season. I like his attitude and he wants that job. I like Moniak for 4th OF spot or maybe starting in LF. So 2023 success will be if Rendon and Trout healthy.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Is it stupid to consider Ohtani at 1B? If he is in fact going to be locked up that might be better for the team than DH.

I know it adds to the injury risk. But I assume stealing bases is a bigger risk than playing 1B.

Bigger risk is telling playing rounding third to slide

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Agree, regarding the big money guys.

Someone like Bassitt makes a lot of sense to slot between Sandoval and Detmers.

Then you have a whole lot of pitchers battling for spots 5 and 6.   Bush, Suarez, Erla, Barria (if kept), Crow, etc.

Find a closer on a short deal to groom late innings guys like Bachman, Silseth, Ortega, and Murphy.

Find a decent enough MIF to back up Rengifo and Fletcher, someone who can put up at least a .700 OPS and field decently enough.   Squid is great defensively, but almost a zero with the bat.

Find a 2nd catcher better than Suzuki, if O’Hoppe still needs another partial season to be ready.

OF - have to hope that Adell and Moniak can do a solid enough job alongside Trout and Ward.

And of course, if Ohtani does not end up re-signing this off-season, the above definitely changes.

Quijada will be closer.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I have no idea why anyone here would believe Arte will increase payroll beyond previous levels to acquire talent, or that the talent actually wants to sign with the Angels. Nor should anyone have faith in an Angels GM making wise decisions in free agency. 

Ohtani 

If we are to keep ohtani we need to:

1. Improve the team

2. Increase payroll

And it has been said that Ohtani brings back the money spent.

If Arte isn't willing to increase payroll, he should have traded Ohtani two weeks ago.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I have no idea why anyone here would believe Arte will increase payroll beyond previous levels to acquire talent, or that the talent actually wants to sign with the Angels. Nor should anyone have faith in an Angels GM making wise decisions in free agency. 

Why be a fan other than to hope?

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

Maybe, but I'd figure him between Seager and Semien. Swanson makes more sense, and is younger and will be cheaper. I know they have minor league depth, but you can't count on it being ready at a certain point. Neto is still three years away from being a regular and possibly two years away from the show, Paris too. Jackson may be ready in 2023, but he wouldn't be a regular until 2024 or 2025.

As They clearly need to upgrade offense, what's your suggestion?

Besides top 4 SS free agents not much there. Jose Iglesias I'm sure he would not sign here. Max Muncy for 2nd he will only be 32. Adam Frazier for 2nd not much power. Kolton Wong or a Joey Wendle. Brandon Drury at 1B and insurance at 3B. Maybe a Justin Turner for 1B if Dodgers to not pick up his option. Many teams will be after Swanson for SS so he will get over paid. Fletcher has looked good since his recall. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

All this is true, however how much do we spend?  How long a contract?

And are we just giving up extending Ohtani?

1B usually isn’t a position of need for many teams, so maybe that helps the Angels get a discount at 1B.

As far as contract terms and length, it depends on the player.

Probably no more than 3 years for anyone, and 1 year (maybe 2) max for the old guys like Abreu and Belt.

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I doubt that’s an option.

The Angels need another good hitter to complement Trout/Ohtani/Rendon anyway, so moving Ohtani to 1B doesn’t really fix that issue.