• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question: What if we trade Loup to the Yankees for Gallo?

tomsred

Joey Gallo is making $6.2M this year, and has lost his way hitting at least currently.  Yankees are marketing Gallo after the Bettintendi trade with Kansas City.  Is an Aaron Loop trade to the Yankees worth us taking a look at Gallo for the remainder of the year worth it.  Taking some pressure off of Gallo might help breathe some life in him.

32 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Joey Gallo is making $6.2M this year, and has lost his way hitting at least currently.  Yankees are marketing Gallo after the Bettintendi trade with Kansas City.  Is an Aaron Loop trade to the Yankees worth us taking a look at Gallo for the remainder of the year worth it.  Taking some pressure off of Gallo might help breathe some life in him.

Gallo signed a 1 year / $10,275,000 contract with the Yankees.

You were looking at his 2021 salary.

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Loup might be worth the money next season.  Gallo will never be worth the money.

It’s just until the end of the year for Gallo and he’s better than Marsh/Adell short term.  Rather than trade Loup I’d ask for a prospect.

1 minute ago, Revad said:

It’s just until the end of the year for Gallo and he’s better than Marsh/Adell short term.  Rather than trade Loup I’d ask for a prospect.

The person on this forum who self reports they could hit .200 is probably also a better short term solution than Marsh/Adell......just for the entertainment value.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

the yankees aren't going to give up a prospect just so they don't have to pay gallo the remainder of this year's salary. they don't do business that way. you could get a contract swap for sure and the loup idea is something the yankees would consider..

I was thinking more that it was a way of dumping Loup, if it doesn't look good for a rebound from him.  Gallo may very well be at the end of his career as well.  But Gallo has been playing under a lot of pressure in New York, what would happen if he got out of there and came here for two months?  Maybe the change in environment with less pressure would perk him up.  In the worse case, Loup and Gallo continue on their current paths, and they are both gone from the Angels by year end and we start with someone new next year.   That could be either a different outfield addition or a bullpen addition.

Thanks for the update on Gallo's salary Lou, I misread it as his 2022 salary.  If the Yankees assume Loup's contract and we take Gallo's contract at this point we would be ahead money wise.  At this point we get a veteran outfielder who has potential to hit with power, and they get a veteran reliever who may help them in the playoffs if they can perk him up.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

If the Angels feel as though Loup won’t bounce back and be effective and worth the money, then yes, you absolutely make this trade. 

Feels like a coin toss with relievers on whether or not they pitch well 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

If the Angels feel as though Loup won’t bounce back and be effective and worth the money, then yes, you absolutely make this trade. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Feels like a coin toss with relievers on whether or not they pitch well 

I guess you can have some idea whether Loup is done or not....pitch velocity, movement, ground ball rate, exit velocity and balls hit hard...but relievers are really hard to figure....Gallo, on the other hand, looks pretty lost and done....maybe he bounces back with a new team but I would bet Loup has a better chance of regaining form.... 

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's got a lower OPS+ than either of those two guys and strikes out at a higher rate.

That's true, but he is playing under heavy pressure in New York.  There is a good chance Gallo won't improve, and I don't like him taking away time from younger players.  But Loup's not helping us much, and has a two year contract.  Also Marsh and Adel would play with Gallo in right field.  It's Sierra would be replaced.  And if Trout plays again this year, you might get two veterans plus one of Adel/Marsh.  Actually if Trout plays again this year I would move Trout to left field, Marsh to center and Gallo to right platooning with Adel.

Actually, it's the offense, not the pitching that sucks so badly right now.  The offensive woes have gone on for far too long.  There just isn't any effective offensive depth.  I don't know the number, but how many games have we scored two or fewer runs this year, it has to be ugly.

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I guess you can have some idea whether Loup is done or not....pitch velocity, movement, ground ball rate, exit velocity and balls hit hard...but relievers are really hard to figure....Gallo, on the other hand, looks pretty lost and done....maybe he bounces back with a new team but I would bet Loup has a better chance of regaining form.... 

at the end of the day you ask yourself whether you want to pay $8.5 million for Loup next year. That’s the determining factor 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

at the end of the day you ask yourself whether you want to pay $8.5 million for Loup next year. That’s the determining factor 

Yep….regardless of whether we’re in full rebuild mode or not, that 8.5 million could be useful…