• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Fletcher

Fletcher rebounding would be an absolute HUGE boost to this team.

I'm not holding my breath. Too much to prove going forward. But I've always liked him. If he can just hit average, it's a plus. He's fun to watch fielding.

He and Rengifo will never be Howie and Aybar, but it could be pretty decent.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Yep.

Maybe Velazquez can be a utility infielder next year, but he’s out of options and ideally Rengifo is the utility infielder with Fletcher at 2B and a new SS.

I think we get a really good SS or a really good LF but not both.  SS is going to be pricey in FA, probably better bang for the buck in LF.  But there are too many spots to upgrade including SP and closer so at least one of those spots will need to be addressed in a cost-efficient manner.  

47 minutes ago, Revad said:

I think we get a really good SS or a really good LF but not both.  SS is going to be pricey in FA, probably better bang for the buck in LF.  But there are too many spots to upgrade including SP and closer so at least one of those spots will need to be addressed in a cost-efficient manner.  

This will be a lame duck off season with sale of team. 

Fletch looks like his usual energy bunny self after that hip injury.  He's a solid player, slightly below average with the bat with a very high contact tool and an above average glove.  He's a type of player every winning team needs, doing all the little things well and sets the tone.  If he gets to 2 WAR per season which is the definition of an average MLBer, then he's worth the contract extension he was given. 

14 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kenny Lofton was criminally underrated.  10th best bWAR among CFers, but he played in the middle of the steroid era and his HR totals were human so people think he was some slappy David Eckstein type.

Absolute witch defensively too.

And a pretty fair basketball player too at UofA

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

And a pretty fair basketball player too at UofA

Yep, Career leader in steals (basketball) at the time he left.

He had all of ONE at bat at UofA.  Only saw action in 5 baseball games through his college career and despite that you can make a case for his being a MLB HOFer.

Dude was special.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Gwynn was better than Ichiro and it isn’t all that close in my opinion.  

An example of how underrated Lofton was/is...

bWAR

Gwynn - 69.2 (14th all time among RFers)
Lofton -  68.4 (10th all time among CFers)
Ichiro - 60.0 (17th all time among RFers)

fWAR has them at Gwynn 65.0, Lofton 62.4, Ichiro 57.7

It’s going to end up being the same Fletcher from the last few couple of years. Career low walk rate, 4.3%, which is half of what it was in 2019 and 2020. Career low in pitches per at bat at 3.20.  @Jeff Fletcher shared a tweet saying his swing rate was over 50%. Usually we use the term “undisciplined hitter” for a guy that strikes out a lot. Fletcher never strikes out but is a very undisciplined hitter.