• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

1 hour ago, JAHV76 said:

Big Sky just watched the pilot looks good so far.

we watched it, too. good story line, and we're interested to see where it goes.

Spoiler

the by-the-book state trooper's action at the end was very surprising.

11 hours ago, Don said:

Just watched that tonight too. TBH the writing did not seem very good.

I agree. Watched about 20 or 30 minutes and bailed. Characters seem a little over the top.

No on Big Sky for me.

11 hours ago, Molly Jolly said:

we watched it, too. good story line, and we're interested to see where it goes.

Hide contents

the by-the-book state trooper's action at the end was very surprising.

Spoiler

I think "by-the-book" is a misrepresentation. Dude had creepy and shady written all over him. The interaction with the stranded motorist earlier in the episode should have told you that. I wouldn't call randomly bringing up sanctuary cities then asking about a stranded motorist's sex life "by-the-book".

On 11/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, T.G. said:

Just started watching it.  I like Joel Kinnaman from "The Killing" and glad to see him in this one. Looks pretty good. It has me curious.  I'm wondering if this going to be some big political statement show.... I guess I'll find out.

I thought it would be a political statement show too, and it does make some typical Hollywood political statements, but that isn’t the point of the show fortunately.

To answer @AngelsLakersFan’s question, it’s a great show because it’s made by the creator of the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, and that’s one of my all time favorites.

I like how it lacks the stereotypical sentimentality associated with nasa related shows/movies (eg. first man). There’s no blaring trumpets when you see an astronaut walk down a hall. It’s not sucking off astronauts but showing them as imperfect human beings. 

Secondly, despite being an alternate historical drama, it has a fantastic science fiction element due to the ramifications of certain events differing from our timeline.

There’s a thriller aspect as well since It’s not just retelling a story we already know.

In our timeline, landing on the moon first sorta stagnated/ended the space race. Imagine the possibilities if the space race never ended.

I was getting Kinnaman fatigue before watching this, but he’s actually a great actor.

1 hour ago, Don said:
  Reveal hidden contents

that's fair. 

2 hours ago, failos said:

I thought it would be a political statement show too, and it does make some typical Hollywood political statements, but that isn’t the point of the show fortunately.

To answer @AngelsLakersFan’s question, it’s a great show because it’s made by the creator of the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, and that’s one of my all time favorites.

I like how it lacks the stereotypical sentimentality associated with nasa related shows/movies (eg. first man). There’s no blaring trumpets when you see an astronaut walk down a hall. It’s not sucking off astronauts but showing them as imperfect human beings. 

Secondly, despite being an alternate historical drama, it has a fantastic science fiction element due to the ramifications of certain events differing from our timeline.

There’s a thriller aspect as well since It’s not just retelling a story we already know.

In our timeline, landing on the moon first sorta stagnated/ended the space race. Imagine the possibilities if the space race never ended.

I was getting Kinnaman fatigue before watching this, but he’s actually a great actor.

I was interested in it specifically because of Ron Moore and it being scifi. Battlestar Galactica is probably my second favorite show of all time because Moore writes great characters and intense plot lines with the downside of the scifi elements kind of going off the rails at points. It's good to hear you and @T.G. both finding the premise compelling and well executed.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I was interested in it specifically because of Ron Moore and it being scifi. Battlestar Galactica is probably my second favorite show of all time because Moore writes great characters and intense plot lines with the downside of the scifi elements kind of going off the rails at points. It's good to hear you and @T.G. both finding the premise compelling and well executed.

Did you not like the religious aspects? Or the ending? Just curious...

48 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Interesting that Eric Ladin plays the flight director in both “The Right Stuff” (Disney TV show) and in “For All Mankind”

I started watching The Right Stuff btw...

He’s in a lot of stuff. I think I don’t like him because he played Betty Draper’s POS brother in Mad Men. He’s pretty good in FAM, though.

I just started watching The Crown. Everyone I know loves it, but I can't get into it. The stakes seem so low. Like it's just deciding which of their many houses they are going to live in and if she's going to keep her husband's last name. The general theme of the show seems to be "it's harder to be a rich, ceremonial figure head than you'd think! People are often upset with you but in the end nothing matters because you're super rich and can't get fired."

He’s in a lot of stuff. I think I don’t like him because he played Betty Draper’s POS brother in Mad Men. He’s pretty good in FAM, though.

He was also in “The Killing” and he played a POS in it too.

I just thought it was funny he played the same role in 2 shows.

Did you not like the religious aspects? Or the ending? Just curious...

I actually liked the ending. I think the show started to struggle once they leaned into showing the cylon's perspective. Don't get me wrong there were plenty of good moments to arise from it but sometimes it's better to maintain the mystery than to pull back the curtain.

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

I just started watching The Crown. Everyone I know loves it, but I can't get into it. The stakes seem so low. Like it's just deciding which of their many houses they are going to live in and if she's going to keep her husband's last name. The general theme of the show seems to be "it's harder to be a rich, ceremonial figure head than you'd think! People are often upset with you but in the end nothing matters because you're super rich and can't get fired."

Funny, that's kind of what I like about it. The stakes are low, but the writing is great. The decisions seem insignificant but show always seems to frame it in a way that illustrates the subtle ways in which they actually are quite important. 

3 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I just started watching it, and am on season 2.  I like it so far.  I look at it more as a documentary, although loosely.  And if you have read any of my reviews, you know that I lean more towards the Documentary zombie shows.  What I find interesting is how unprepared QE2 was, and really how the younger Royal family has taken everything for granted.  JIMO, but I like how it's not showing everything as perfect and the royalty as all knowing.  Maybe this is common knowledge for Brits, but as a treasonous American, it's really eye opening.