• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium deal is dead

mmc

On 5/30/2022 at 12:17 PM, Stradling said:

I always thought that if the deal went through Arte would then look to sell the team.  Now I think there is a much better chance he sells the team rather than move the team.  Just the timeline of all of it and his age tells me that logically he is selling and not moving. 

He is 75, has a lease and options where he plays in the stadium, basically for free until he is close to 90 years old.  He has said in the past his kids aren’t fans of baseball, so he would sell rather than hand them the team.  So if he opts out in 7 years he is still 82 years old.  No city in California is going to fund a stadium.  There is zero chance he is going to spend half of his net worth the build his own stadium.  So that leaves one other option, moving it Vegas or some other city that will fund and build him a stadium.  But even if Vegas does build him a stadium, he isn’t going to devalue the team by going from the 2nd largest market to the 40th largest market.  

He is going to sell.  

I agree

On 5/31/2022 at 1:06 PM, Taylor said:

Imagine if Arte sold the team back to Disney.

It's definitely a possibility, seeing as they can get a third gate out of the existing Angels Stadium property and relocate the Angels somewhere else. 

• 4 weeks later...

I drove by the stadium earlier this week and saw some new construction happening around the stadium.  It made me wonder... what area was Arte hoping to develop?  Seems to me a lot of development has already taken place.  There are relatively new apartments around the stadium and then there is this new construction taking place.  Who is making money off these developments now? The city? Someone else?

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

I drove by the stadium earlier this week and saw some new construction happening around the stadium.  It made me wonder... what area was Arte hoping to develop?  Seems to me a lot of development has already taken place.  There are relatively new apartments around the stadium and then there is this new construction taking place.  Who is making money off these developments now? The city? Someone else?

Arte was going to develop the parking lot area.  I think they said it's 155 acres.  

I have been going to that stadium for decades and I have the normal amount of nostalgic interest in it.  But I was just there for a game and consciously LOOKED HARD at it.  If anyone cares to actually look, it is very obvious that the structure has run its course.  We are kind of in a “lipstick on a pig” type of situation now.

It’s too old and tired.  And I can only imagine what actual functional problems it has in terms of plumbing, etc.

I really hope any new owner is in the mindset to immediately build a new ballpark.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have been going to that stadium for decades and I have the normal amount of nostalgic interest in it.  But I was just there for a game and consciously LOOKED HARD at it.  If anyone cares to actually look, it is very obvious that the structure has run its course.  We are kind of in a “lipstick on a pig” type of situation now.

It’s too old and tired.  And I can only imagine what actual functional problems it has in terms of plumbing, etc.

I really hope any new owner is in the mindset to immediately build a new ballpark.

Where would that new ballpark be, Las Vegas?

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I wonder if people say the same thing about Fenway, Wrigley, Doyer Stadium? 

I definitely understand Fenway and Wrigley aren't really in the same category, but isn't Doyer Stadium? Angel Stadium was built only 4 years after and IMO is somewhat a relic of Orange County considering it's the 4th oldest park in MLB. I haven't been there in a couple years, but man, I just loved it. Not saying I'd be against a new stadium, but when I see new places like Texas Rangers, or New York or Cleveland's newer ballparks, they just seem so sterile...so...unlike what it feels like to walk into Angel Stadium. It just feels like a ballpark. And despite not being a Fenway or Wrigley, it *does* have some great history no matter how much some might not want to admit it. 

They've lip-sticked that Chavez Ravine pig up pretty good, from what I've heard (my hatred of the team and the surrounding city deters me from even humoring a visit). 

One of the things I like about the Big A is the view of the freeway beyond CF. As a kid I remember seeing people parked there occasionally watching the game. It’s not a breath-taking view by any means, but it was unique to our ballpark and I like the nostalgia of that. Fill that view with something more picturesque and I’m onboard - huge palm trees or something to make it stand out. 

I think it’s more forgivable at places like Fenway and Wrigley because while old, they truly do have much more “history” than Angel Stadium, and most importantly: those stadiums are places that newer facilities attempt to emulate to a degree. The same cannot be said of The Big A. I love it, but it’s not great.

2 hours ago, mypillow.com said:

I think it’s more forgivable at places like Fenway and Wrigley because while old, they truly do have much more “history” than Angel Stadium, and most importantly: those stadiums are places that newer facilities attempt to emulate to a degree. The same cannot be said of The Big A. I love it, but it’s not great.

Yeah, nothing says history like the smell of urine.  I've been told that's no longer the case but it used to be (Fenway).

• 2 weeks later...