• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium deal is dead

mmc

37 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Anaheim has legit two options. One, they can sell the property to the Angels to develop at a better price. Two, they can sell it to Disney. Three, a bunch of other developers may want to develop the land, but the Angels are here until 2029, at least, and can stay until 2038, so that's a long time to make your money back. Disney however, will be patient. I see them as the elephant in the room. They sold the Angels to Moreno at a very good price, but they lost money. They don't want to be in the sports business, they say, but they've improved so much as a brand that they may consider redeveloping the Stadium land as a third Disney park. Whether or not there is a stadium there, remains to be seen.

If the City of Anaheim decides to sell the property to Disney, then Disney can work out a new ballpark for the Angels, that's probably the best scenario. Disney would have the Angels over a barrel, as they would like a blank canvas of land, but the Angels also have a lease. I could see them building a new stadium and parking for the Angels. There's probably room for a hotel or two, and an entire third park. They've launched their plan showing their Disneyland forward plans which do not show thee Stadium land, but on this map there is a big open white spot across the 5. Guess what that is?disneyland-forward-map-future.png

Angels probably have three options. They can buy the stadium and land for a better price. They can move slightly south to Tustin or Irvine, or slightly north to Commerce or Long Beach or Inglewood. Or they can deal with Disney as a landlord.

Imagine if Arte sold the team back to Disney.

37 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Anaheim has legit two options. One, they can sell the property to the Angels to develop at a better price. Two, they can sell it to Disney. Three, a bunch of other developers may want to develop the land, but the Angels are here until 2029, at least, and can stay until 2038, so that's a long time to make your money back. Disney however, will be patient. I see them as the elephant in the room. They sold the Angels to Moreno at a very good price, but they lost money. They don't want to be in the sports business, they say, but they've improved so much as a brand that they may consider redeveloping the Stadium land as a third Disney park. Whether or not there is a stadium there, remains to be seen.

If the City of Anaheim decides to sell the property to Disney, then Disney can work out a new ballpark for the Angels, that's probably the best scenario. Disney would have the Angels over a barrel, as they would like a blank canvas of land, but the Angels also have a lease. I could see them building a new stadium and parking for the Angels. There's probably room for a hotel or two, and an entire third park. They've launched their plan showing their Disneyland forward plans which do not show thee Stadium land, but on this map there is a big open white spot across the 5. Guess what that is?disneyland-forward-map-future.png

Angels probably have three options. They can buy the stadium and land for a better price. They can move slightly south to Tustin or Irvine, or slightly north to Commerce or Long Beach or Inglewood. Or they can deal with Disney as a landlord.

I don't think Disney would go that far away from the park. It would require developing of the surrounding area, and FAST TRANSIT between the park and the land, something much faster than bus or car, and then you have to deal with DOT. That's a long way down the line if it's possible at all. 

And no, in this economy, developers aren't knocking down Anaheim's door to purchase land they can't even begin to develop for close to ten years, and won't have the draw of a professional sports team nearby. 

That leaves one option, Arte and Anaheim renegotiate, if he doesn't win in the courtroom, which he might. 

I wonder if Arte's age factors into how any of this plays out as he's 75 now and the team is here for at least 7 more years.  Does anyone know if any of his family or anyone else is involved from an ownership standpoint?  I know he's the guy it's just that at a point some owners seem to hand some functions off usually to their kids.

53 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I wonder if Arte's age factors into how any of this plays out as he's 75 now and the team is here for at least 7 more years.  Does anyone know if any of his family or anyone else is involved from an ownership standpoint?  I know he's the guy it's just that at a point some owners seem to hand some functions off usually to their kids.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:17 PM, Stradling said:

I always thought that if the deal went through Arte would then look to sell the team.  Now I think there is a much better chance he sells the team rather than move the team.  Just the timeline of all of it and his age tells me that logically he is selling and not moving. 

He is 75, has a lease and options where he plays in the stadium, basically for free until he is close to 90 years old.  He has said in the past his kids aren’t fans of baseball, so he would sell rather than hand them the team.  So if he opts out in 7 years he is still 82 years old.  No city in California is going to fund a stadium.  There is zero chance he is going to spend half of his net worth the build his own stadium.  So that leaves one other option, moving it Vegas or some other city that will fund and build him a stadium.  But even if Vegas does build him a stadium, he isn’t going to devalue the team by going from the 2nd largest market to the 40th largest market.  

He is going to sell.  

6 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

I have a plot for sale in the cemetery across from SOFI stadium,  if anyone is interested. 

Sunday at 1:00pm is much different than being there after the sun sets. 

Pass.

12 hours ago, Rico said:

Artie should talk to Steve Ballmer.  Steve has big bucks and is sitting on that The Forum land.

If Arte sells, I hope that the Samueli's buy it.  Has deep roots in So Cal and the OC.  He doesn't meddle in team affairs, and let's the hockey people run the Ducks.  On the NHL Executive committee.  Has a good relationship with the city.  And is worth twice as much as Arte at around $7 billion.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:11 PM, Second Base said:

I don't think Disney would go that far away from the park. It would require developing of the surrounding area, and FAST TRANSIT between the park and the land, something much faster than bus or car, and then you have to deal with DOT. That's a long way down the line if it's possible at all. 

And no, in this economy, developers aren't knocking down Anaheim's door to purchase land they can't even begin to develop for close to ten years, and won't have the draw of a professional sports team nearby. 

That leaves one option, Arte and Anaheim renegotiate, if he doesn't win in the courtroom, which he might. 

It's really not that far away. That's the thing. It's 1.8 Miles to the corner of Katella and Harbor near the Toy Story Lot from the Gate on State College. 

Disney owns a lot of parcels of land surrounding the park. They could move some of the backstage and office stuff to areas in the 160 acre Stadium grounds.

I actually see this as the most likely outcome if the Angels can't reach a new deal with the city of Anaheim themselves. Imagine they build 2-3 hotels along Katella, build a new ballpark at the back corner of Orangewood, and a third gate park, with associated parking structures. They could alternately move the Stadium to the Toy Story Parking Lot land, which really isn't used a lot except for on busy days, and build new parking lots and probably a monorail extension along Gene Autry Way. This puts the Stadium right near the Convention Center, and while there wouldn't be nearly enough parking, they would probably add a parking structure near by. Then they could raze the stadium ad have free reign. 

They'll then use some of the other land to accommodate the low income housing requirements the city has.

It's a win win.

• 3 weeks later...