• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium deal is dead

mmc

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If he moves the team to Monterrey he owns all of Mexico and it's population of 128 million. Mexico would certainly subsidize a new indoor/outdoor stadium which would draw fans from the surrounding areas and create business opportunities. The television rights would have unrestricted reach to the entire country instead of shared revenue between viewership in the OC/LA market. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been any team nested in Mexico since its an instant fan base. 

And im pretty sure MLB would LOVE this idea... To assume he isnt going anywhere, is simply not realistic. 

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

People have been saying since 2004 that Arte was going to move the team.

Sure, people always go to the worst, but he came up with something better, this deal, now thats gone.
Hes going to get nothing from the city going forward whether he was involved in the bad parts or not.  The stadium is ageing, its inevitable. 

By the way, I've been to more games this season than in the past but if they moved the team or we move away from the team it does not mean I would quit following them.

At this point Anaheim has been kind of a toxic relationship with all of the legal strife just to keep the team there. Moreno keeps pouring money into what has become a sinkhole location and should probably search out someplace else. 

Out of City, State or Country but leave Anaheim and their problems behind. 

Isn't what caused the deal to fall through come from the offices of Governor Newsom who weren't happy that Arte was getting (what appeared to be) a killer deal for the land? 

I think Anaheim is pulling the deal because of lawsuit pressure from the state, there's some rule that deals like this have to be reviewed by multiple bidders if I remember correctly. 

Anaheim didn't do that, and that's where the red flags went off with the state. Which IMHO is freaking stupid, the city should be able to sell the land to whoever they want at whatever price they deem fair.

I haven't been to the stadium in years, but I don't remember it being *that* bad besides the aged bathrooms and food venues, but a lot of that seemed like cosmetic fixes could be taken care of that. Considering the updates the Dodgers have been doing to their stadium, I can't believe Arte wouldn't be able to do some similar things to face lift the place. I feel like it's in a great location, easy to get in and out of using the 5 Freeway Carpool lane and getting off/on at Gene Autry Way. 

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Arte isn't going anywhere. Orange County has over 3,000,000 people and Las Vegas has 2,000,000. That's before you factor in the IE. The average household income is $94k in OC and $60k in Las Vegas. The TV market is 17 million compared to 2 million. No one in CA gives subsidies for stadiums. Arte isn't going anywhere and the city can't do much with the land. I think they end up with a better deal for the city. One that's not so bad it requires bribing officials to get it through. 

Who said Arte bribed an official.  The fact that it hasn’t come out that he did bribe him shows me that he probably didn’t.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

If he moves the team to Monterrey he owns all of Mexico and it's population of 128 million. Mexico would certainly subsidize a new indoor/outdoor stadium which would draw fans from the surrounding areas and create business opportunities. The television rights would have unrestricted reach to the entire country instead of shared revenue between viewership in the OC/LA market. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been any team nested in Mexico since its an instant fan base. 

People in Oaxaca aren't traveling to Monterrey to watch a baseball game. 

Also, there is no way MLB would allow Arte to keep all of the tv revenue. 

The average factory worker in Monterrey makes about $6500 USD/yr.  They aren't going to pay $60-$100 for good seats. They also aren't going to pay $12 for a beer or $40 for a shirt. 

I've always thought that this deal was just a pipe dream to begin with.  Moreno could have developed the land around Angels stadium at any time.  And yet all he does year in and year out for decades is cosmetic maintenance.  This deal was IMO just a way for him to cash out higher to the next guy with much deeper pockets.  Arte is 75.  It probably in his best interest to sell and GTFO of Calolfornia and back to Arizona, before he dies and the state collects it's high income/estate blood money.  

Especially now.  The market is tumbling.  Interest rates are skyrocketing.  Getting anything developed in this climate is going to take deep pockets.  

Just now, gotbeer said:

I've always thought that this deal was just a pipe dream to begin with.  Moreno could have developed the land around Angels stadium at any time.  And yet all he does year in and year out for decades is cosmetic maintenance.  This deal was IMO just a way for him to cash out higher to the next guy with much deeper pockets.  Arte is 75.  It probably in his best interest to sell and GTFO of Calolfornia and back to Arizona, before he dies and the state collects it's high income/estate blood money.  

Especially now.  The market is tumbling.  Interest rates are skyrocketing.  Getting anything developed in this climate is going to take deep pockets.  

How could he have developed the area around the stadium if he didn't own it?

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

How could he have developed the area around the stadium if he didn't own it?

His lease agreement gave him the right to develop the area.  He just chose not to.  

For instance, the Ducks are going to be developing the land around their stadium, but I don't think the Ducks/Samueli's own the land.  I think they got a favorable lease, I think till 2050, in return.  

2 hours ago, ScottSted said:

What? The whole corruption scandal is that *someone* on the Angels exec team tried to bribe the Mayor with $1M in campaign contributions if he pushed for the deal. Who in the Angels FO has $1M to spend?

Uh, no.  Based on what has been released so far, the mayor of Anaheim was taped saying he wanted to ASK the Angels for $1M in contributions if the city pushed the deal through and that the Angels would look bad if they said no.  Thus far, any actual engagement from the Angels side, if any, hasn't been disclosed.

Edited by jsnpritchett

33 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

What? The whole corruption scandal is that *someone* on the Angels exec team tried to bribe the Mayor with $1M in campaign contributions if he pushed for the deal. Who in the Angels FO has $1M to spend?

That isn’t true. I have read most articles on this and not one has said the Angels are trying to bribe anyone.  It’s all centered around the mayor saying he would push for at least a million to his campaign fund. We don’t even know if Arte sent the money. 

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Uh, no.  Based on what has been released so far, the mayor of Anaheim was taping saying he wanted to ASK the Angels for $1M in contributions if the city pushed the deal through and that the Angels would look bad if they said no.  Thus far, any actual engagement from the Angels side, if any, hasn't been disclosed.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That isn’t true. I have read most articles on this and not one has said the Angels are trying to bribe anyone.  It’s all centered around the mayor saying he would push for at least a million to his campaign fund. We don’t even know if Arte sent the money. 

I agree.

Since the Expos relocated the Jay's have a monopoly  in Canada. The same owners  (Rogers) owns the team, the stadium, the broadcast network and the online provider. And other teams in other sports as well. There literally isn't any way to watch any other team (other than maybe a game or two a week when the Jay's aren't playing) unless you use a pay service. Which i do. 

The Angels in Mexico could be huge financially for them. But I doubt the commissioner would let that happen. You also have potential border issues, like the American teams have going to Toronto with the vax passport nonsense.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Maybe pay-offs are more expensive in Mexico. 

22 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

His lease agreement gave him the right to develop the area.  He just chose not to.  

For instance, the Ducks are going to be developing the land around their stadium, but I don't think the Ducks/Samueli's own the land.  I think they got a favorable lease, I think till 2050, in return.  

Correct, the Samuelis do not own Honda Center, only it’s operations and management, the city still owns the arena.  In the OCVibe deal, they also took over ARTIC’s operations, got the extended lease, and the Samuelis also acquired a few city owned parking lots

14 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Since the Expos relocated the Jay's have a monopoly  in Canada. The same owners  (Rogers) owns the team, the stadium, the broadcast network and the online provider. And other teams in other sports as well. There literally isn't any way to watch any other team (other than maybe a game or two a week when the Jay's aren't playing) unless you use a pay service. Which i do. 

The Angels in Mexico could be huge financially for them. But I doubt the commissioner would let that happen. You also have potential border issues, like the American teams have going to Toronto with the vax passport nonsense.

the bigger issue is that I believe players have to be paid in USD.  Between the US and Canada, the exchange rate is somewhat stable.  But when they destabilize, the teams feel it.  With Mexico, the exchange rate is much more likely to fluctuate.  

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I think off the top of my head, the most likely scenarios are...

1. Arte and Angels win in court and the deal is restored.

2. After a lot of drama, Arte leverages the 2029/2039 lease dates to get generally the same deal. 

3. Arte moves the team, but stays in So-Cal. 

4 hours ago, floplag said:

I wonder where the Angels will be playing in '30... 
They just torpedoed Artes master plan, im guessing hes already contacting Vegas or other areas dying for baseball. 
Bravo Ana, when you lose the team, youll know who to blame. 

the angels are one of the very top drawing teams in attendance figures every year. i doubt moreno or mlb are itching to vacate the area. that would be massively foolish.