• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022 Angels ZIPS Projections From Fangraphs

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-zips-projections-los-angeles-angels/

The rotation — and really, the whole team — looks like the expected result of an organization that will spend in big, short bursts but otherwise acts as if they’re in no particular hurry to build around an inner-circle Hall of Famer in his prime years. The Angels should never have started 2021 with the rotation they did, and if this is actually the group that begins the 2022 season, it will constitute a major failure of imagination.

Angels-22.thumb.png.bfe6baa409aac30e32388c170aa1e6b9.png

Does anyone think Mayfield has as much a shot at SS as the three named there? 
I didn't see much of his time there near the end of the season to see how he did defensively. His offense was obviously weird - HRs and not much else - but he still seemed to be productive enough I could see him having at least the upper-hand going into ST for a majority of a platoon. Not everyday. But a good chunk of playing time.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Does anyone think Mayfield has as much a shot at SS as the three named there? 
I didn't see much of his time there near the end of the season to see how he did defensively. His offense was obviously weird - HRs and not much else - but he still seemed to be productive enough I could see him having at least the upper-hand going into ST for a majority of a platoon. Not everyday. But a good chunk of playing time.

I don't think they see him as the starter there, since they started giving his at bats to Rengifo at the end of the season.

That said, some interesting tid-bits in the write-up. For instance, I agree with this take wholeheartedly:

The Angels are a very star-driven team, and if something terrible happens to a star or two, it’s going to be hard to eke out first place in a division with four plausible contenders. If you can ensure that Mike Trout, Shohei Ohtani, Anthony Rendon, and Noah Syndergaard all have full, healthy seasons, I think this is the team that can make the Astros sweat the most this summer. If not, I think the Angels’ playoff relevance will be on life support by the trade deadline.

At this point, I'm not sure what the Angels can do about this. I think this is why Doc and others have so emphasized depth. There's no way to not be hit hard by losing Trout, but there's a difference between replacing him with a 0 WAR guy and a 2 WAR guy. 

I really think ZiPS--and many on this forum--are too bearish about Marsh. Marsh is a ball-player: he has that "it" factor that makes players good. I'm not saying he's going to be a star next year, but he's going to be better than ZiPs suggests (.249/.319/.367, 1.1 WAR). I see something more like .270/.340/.400 and 2.5 to 3 WAR, with gradual improvement over the next two or three years.

Edited by Angelsjunky

As for SS/2B, I could see any number of scenarios unfolding. As of this moment, it really looks like a Spring Training audition, sort of like 2B back in 2015. And yeah, if Fletcher continues on as he did this year, I think he's the utility player by the second half.

My big hope is that Rengifo finally shows signs of his potential. If he does, even just re-creating 2019's numbers, it will be huge.

Stefanic is a wild-card in that he could be the David Fletcher v. 2018 of 2022. He looks like a guy who will hit .280+/.700+ in the majors, but I'm not sure he'll get a chance unless Fletcher tanks, unless they want to move Fletch back to SS.

Wade might be a really solid utility guy, but I'm thinking if he ends up with more than 200 PA, something went wrong. Similarly with Velazquez. Nice guys to have on the bench, but really stretched as even platoon guys.

Mayfield seems like a solid default platoon option, but has less defensive ability at SS than Rengifo, Wade and Velazquez. Like Wade and V, he's a solid bench guy, but I don't like him in the lineup on a regular basis. He'll hit an HR once a week or so, but the rest kind of sucks.

Finally, I don't think Davis gets much of a chance this year, unless he destroys AAA for a few months. And I think they'll take their time with him and only consider a call-up in the second half if things are in shambles in the majors. 

TLDR: Best-case scenario and two of Fletcher, Rengifo, and Stefanic (re)emerge as solid regulars. Barring that, the depth guys will be stretched in more regular playing time and will weaken the overall lineup. Davis might be an ace in hand or another Mayfield type. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

LOL, found the Canadian...

montreal

Brandon Marsh is nothing more than a 4th outfielder. Take a look at his minor league record. Adell has power for sure but strikes out at an alarming rate. Even Trout’s projection is underwhelming for a star player. So you are correct that the Angels don’t appear to be a playoff team.

6 hours ago
montreal

Good post James. This team looks like a .500 team at best. They bragged about Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh…..well they have arrived and WTF…..they deservedly have lousy projections. I could never understand how people thought Marsh would hit in the majors, hell he can’t hit in the minors. And their 6 starting pitchers…..really ?? That is going to make you a contender ? Even before ZIPS I thought they were out of the playoffs yet again and looking at these numbers confirms it.

1 day ago

montreal

Look, you know your stuff and are well respected but can I not get you to agree that instead of signing a bunch of # 3 and # 4 starters they should have spent big on an ace. Yes I get that Arte won’t want to do that but either they want to win or they don’t. I actually DO believe Trout may never see the playoffs. ( unless 14 – 16 teams get in ).

6 hours ago

montreal

For a team that hopes to go to the playoffs……they stink !! Check out Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and even Mike Trout. Then check out their 6 man rotation where 3 of them are flat out lousy. And they can only hope Syndergaard does rebound otherwise .500 here we come.

1 day ago

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL, found the Canadian...

montreal

Brandon Marsh is nothing more than a 4th outfielder. Take a look at his minor league record. Adell has power for sure but strikes out at an alarming rate. Even Trout’s projection is underwhelming for a star player. So you are correct that the Angels don’t appear to be a playoff team.

6 hours ago
montreal

Good post James. This team looks like a .500 team at best. They bragged about Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh…..well they have arrived and WTF…..they deservedly have lousy projections. I could never understand how people thought Marsh would hit in the majors, hell he can’t hit in the minors. And their 6 starting pitchers…..really ?? That is going to make you a contender ? Even before ZIPS I thought they were out of the playoffs yet again and looking at these numbers confirms it.

1 day ago

montreal

Look, you know your stuff and are well respected but can I not get you to agree that instead of signing a bunch of # 3 and # 4 starters they should have spent big on an ace. Yes I get that Arte won’t want to do that but either they want to win or they don’t. I actually DO believe Trout may never see the playoffs. ( unless 14 – 16 teams get in ).

6 hours ago

montreal

For a team that hopes to go to the playoffs……they stink !! Check out Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and even Mike Trout. Then check out their 6 man rotation where 3 of them are flat out lousy. And they can only hope Syndergaard does rebound otherwise .500 here we come.

1 day ago

What's funny is that's almost certainly him. Talks just like him. Keeps repeating the same shit.

23 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Apparently the Wadifo phase has already been completed.  Leaked pic from the lab below.

If everything goes okay and Wadifo's ears and jaw don't fall off by next week, they'll bring Velazquez in for the second phase.

Wadifo.jpg

This is art.

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

What's funny is that's almost certainly him. Talks just like him. Keeps repeating the same shit.

I highly doubt that is him.  For one he didn't mention Melvin.  He also wasn't secretly racist about Adell.  Lastly, he didn't mention the land deal and how Arte is screwing over Anaheim.