• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seiya Suzuki

14 hours ago, FromJapan said:

A former player of Hiroshima Carp said, 
"Seiya Suzuki mentioned the advice of Hiroki Kuroda who returned to Hiroshima Carp from Yankees in 2015 as an opportunity to be aware of MLB, but the influence of Ohtani was greater.  They are the same age and kept in touch by e-mail even during the season."

"Since Suzuki and Ohtani were elected to the National Team of Japan for WBC in 2016, they have become acquainted with each other and get in touch with each other. Suzuki said that he was influenced by Ohtani who wanted to be an MLB player and started watching MLB games that he was not interested in until then.  In public, for the first time, Suzuki said 'I am interested in MLB' after the end of the 2016 season." 

"When Ohtani wasn't doing well in the first year (2018)'s the pre-season match, Suzuki emailed 'Are you okay?'  Suzuki also said that he sent a congratulatory message on the day when Ohtani got a hit for the first time in the regular season game. When Suzuki asked Ohtani, 'Is it fun to play in MLB?', Ohtani replied, 'It's fun!'" 

Reference: Nikkan Gendai DIGITAL (2021-11-17)

Below: ”Are you just good friends?” 

Ohtani and Suzuki (Training camp of the National Team for WBC)

Thank you, @FromJapan 🙏

18 minutes ago, Robrock30 said:

He is being posted tomorrow morning.  Perry Minasian is probably heading to Tokyo now to wine and dine him.  I have a Sake referral and a Japanese Professor ready to assist if needed.  Of course Ohtani and Mike Trout give the Angels an advantage.  Best of Luck!

I have to think we'd have the inside track if we decided to pursue him - having Ohtani on the team, and his endorsement, being on the West Coast, in a good weather city - the question is, who do you trade, then - Marsh or Adell?

I think Marsh is pretty hard to trade given our future needs - he's our CF of the future - but has Adell recovered enough perceived value to make part of a package for a top-line pitcher like Castillo or Alcantara?   

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I have to think we'd have the inside track if we decided to pursue him - having Ohtani on the team, and his endorsement, being on the West Coast, in a good weather city - the question is, who do you trade, then - Marsh or Adell?

I think Marsh is pretty hard to trade given our future needs - he's our CF of the future - but has Adell recovered enough perceived value to make part of a package for a top-line pitcher like Castillo or Alcantara?   

Sounds like a good plan.  We're on a Roll!

43 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'm interested to see if the Angels actually are interested in him.

I think they should be, but will they actually be? Will they have due diligence interest or legitimate interest?

I think we are, though I also don’t think he’s someone Perry would enter a bidding war over with our other needs.  I’m sure we have preliminary interest but with all of our other needs, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on quickly if teams like the Rangers, Mariners, Phillies, and Mets all enter a high priced bidding war.  He may not see the risk as worth it when we have several other holes still to fill

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

That's how I see it.  Dude could open the Angels up to do a lot of things.  

Do you really think he’ll come that cheap?  ESPN projects a 4/48 contract for him, and all the teams rumored to be big game hunting this offseason are linked to him.  This of course isn’t even counting the posting fee.

23 minutes ago, mmc said:

Do you really think he’ll come that cheap?  ESPN projects a 4/48 contract for him, and all the teams rumored to be big game hunting this offseason are linked to him.  This of course isn’t even counting the posting fee.

Posting fee is 20 mil, or used to be -- and unless things have changed those dollars don't count towards the cap, so for a team like the Angels there is some value there in that it allows them to spend elsewhere.   And if he went as cheap as 4/48 -- that's a bargain.   You're talking AJ Pollock money only he will play this season in his age 27 season.

If his numbers translate and the defense is what it has looked to be -- he stands to be a bargain IMO at even 5/75 although I doubt it gets that high.  I think the Rangers will be the team most likely to drive the price up -- Seattle might also because of their history with Japanese players, but if it's 4/48..  yeah, that stands a chance to be a heist.

27 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Posting fee is 20 mil, or used to be -- and unless things have changed those dollars don't count towards the cap, so for a team like the Angels there is some value there in that it allows them to spend elsewhere.   And if he went as cheap as 4/48 -- that's a bargain.   You're talking AJ Pollock money only he will play this season in his age 27 season.

It has changed:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/seiya-suzuki-to-be-posted-tomorrow-morning.html

" Any big league team that signs Suzuki would owe the Carp a fee equal to 20% of the contract’s first $25MM, 17.5% of the next $25MM and 15% of any dollars thereafter. For example, if Suzuki were signed for $55MM as MLBTR predicted, the signing team would have to pay the Carp $10.125MM, bringing the total bill to $65.125MM."

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It has changed:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/seiya-suzuki-to-be-posted-tomorrow-morning.html

" Any big league team that signs Suzuki would owe the Carp a fee equal to 20% of the contract’s first $25MM, 17.5% of the next $25MM and 15% of any dollars thereafter. For example, if Suzuki were signed for $55MM as MLBTR predicted, the signing team would have to pay the Carp $10.125MM, bringing the total bill to $65.125MM."

even more of a bargain.  

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It has changed:

Would the total bill, including the fee to the Carps, count against the salary cap?

This has the same feeling as when Dipshito didn’t sign Vlad jr. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

If his numbers translate and the defense is what it has looked to be -- he stands to be a bargain IMO at even 5/75 although I doubt it gets that high.  I think the Rangers will be the team most likely to drive the price up -- Seattle might also because of their history with Japanese players, but if it's 4/48..  yeah, that stands a chance to be a heist.

Jim Bowden predicted 5/$101M for Suzuki on the Athletic.

Bowden may not be super credible, but the reality is that he was a former GM and is able to/does consult with agents and front office executives in making those contract predictions (that he is actually pretty decent at doing).

I think Suzuki ends up going for closer to 60-80 million than under 50 million. I think a lot of teams will be in on him, and the price will go up dramatically.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

I think we are, though I also don’t think he’s someone Perry would enter a bidding war over with our other needs.  I’m sure we have preliminary interest but with all of our other needs, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on quickly if teams like the Rangers, Mariners, Phillies, and Mets all enter a high priced bidding war.  He may not see the risk as worth it when we have several other holes still to fill

The thing is, I've yet to see Perry say they are even potentially interested in an outfielder. He's said, or alluded to the fact, that they will explore upgrades at SP, RP, SS, and backup C, but he hasn't said anything about the outfield.

I think Suzuki gets more than people may expect, which prices the Angels out based on their other needs.

58 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It has changed:

LOL, so -- even better for the MLB team.

24 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Jim Bowden predicted 5/$101M for Suzuki on the Athletic.

Bowden may not be super credible, but the reality is that he was a former GM and is able to/does consult with agents and front office executives in making those contract predictions (that he is actually pretty decent at doing).

I think Suzuki ends up going for closer to 60-80 million than under 50 million. I think a lot of teams will be in on him, and the price will go up dramatically.

Jim Bowden was IMO one of the best eyes of talent the game has known, but he's never been one to be able to gauge the market..   His tenure as GM was undone by his inability to read the rest of MLB.  He says a lot of dumb stuff, and has some wacky opinions but he could spot players like few could.