• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seiya Suzuki

25 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The thing is, I've yet to see Perry say they are even potentially interested in an outfielder. He's said, or alluded to the fact, that they will explore upgrades at SP, RP, SS, and backup C, but he hasn't said anything about the outfield.

I think Suzuki gets more than people may expect, which prices the Angels out based on their other needs.

Only thing he's said is pitching.   I don't think anyone, myself included thinks the Angels are likely in on the guy, but I do believe someone will likely be happy they signed him.  I say that having not really been high on Japanese positions players not named Ichiro.  There just isn't anything gimicky about this guy, he can play defense, he runs well, he has an exceptional batting eye.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Only thing he's said is pitching.   I don't think anyone, myself included thinks the Angels are likely in on the guy, but I do believe someone will likely be happy they signed him.  I say that having not really been high on Japanese positions players not named Ichiro.  There just isn't anything gimicky about this guy, he can play defense, he runs well, he has an exceptional batting eye.

Yeah, I guess he's only really said pitching.

I thought I saw him mention catching and SS at the GM Meeting's, but I looked back and he never firmly said anything about a SS (that I could find) and pursuing a backup catcher was just speculation by the writer of the article, not something Minasian mentioned.

Angels need to go all in to sign the next Ichiro.  He will be a star at a reasonable cost great hit tool, solid defense with versatility and speed.  What's not to like?

Woo him and reel him in to play alongside Ohtani and Mike Trout which gives the Angels a huge advantage versus the other 29 Teams.  He looks to be a Superstar to me towering above the crowd.  Worry about OF surplus later which at worst can be traded for young cost controlled SP. This is a major task.

10 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Irasshaimase!

Season 9 Wine GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Reference:  Japanese Sports Newspaper on Nov. 22.

In response to Japanese media interview, Suzuki answered as follows:
"For negotiations, I totally rely on my agent (Wasserman).
I don't have no particular emphasis (on choosing team).
When choosing a team, I would like to say my opinion. But in any team, if I can play, that's enough. 
After that, it depends on my ability.
I do not make excessive requests.
If Ohtani, he himself can choose (the team and various contract details), but I can't."

(In parentheses, I added.)

11 hours ago, Robrock30 said:

Hesitation for me is that he may not have the size 5'11" ( I know Altuve ) to be a MLB impact player unlike the 2 way behemoth Ohtani. Scouting needs to evaluate.

Altuve is like 5’6”… 

I don’t think his height is going to be a factor at all. 5’11” is above average. 

The defense isn't good and he was awful half of last year, but Jorge Soler has my eye. He might be good with a one-year deal and re-entering the market next year if there's universal DH. 

2019 KC he had a .922 OPS and 48 HR, and 21 with ATL .882 OPS with 25 XBH in ~250 PA. Defense is pretty subpar.

Still, for $8m-10m he might give you what you want from Adell (.900 OPS, iffy defense) as a stop-gap, especially if the Halos need to revisit trade market for a SP. 

Adam Duvall and Eddie Rosario, Joc too, might also be worth watching, though Eddie isn't much of a RF, and Duvall doesn't walk much. Have to think some of what led the Braves to be interested in all these guys could also have carried over with Perry.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

The defense isn't good and he was awful half of last year, but Jorge Soler has my eye. He might be good with a one-year deal and re-entering the market next year if there's universal DH. 

2019 KC he had a .922 OPS and 48 HR, and 21 with ATL .882 OPS with 25 XBH in ~250 PA. Defense is pretty subpar.

Still, for $8m-10m he might give you what you want from Adell (.900 OPS, iffy defense) as a stop-gap, especially if the Halos need to revisit trade market for a SP. 

Yeah, I love Soler as an OF target. I doubt the Angels pursue an outfielder, but he'd be among by top targets if they do.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, I love Soler as an OF target. I doubt the Angels pursue an outfielder, but he'd be among by top targets if they do.

He keeps coming to mind when I'm thinking up ideas. Seems like a guy who could be one those sneaky good signings, shows up, hits .250/.350/.550 with 35 HR. Flying under-the-radar. The Braves have had a good track record lately of signing these one-year vets and having them rebound.

It's a little counterintuitive too, but I like the idea of signing a vet RF who has potential to be a solid .750-.900 OPS bat with 20-30 HR, but also someone who could be quite replaceable without batting an eye if Adell and Marsh are still here and needing playing time midseason. Someone like Joc or Duvall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, Duren, Duren said:

Not sure of his linguistic skills, but if communication is an issue it further complicates team chemistry. In theory you would assume he would have a learning curve through much of the season. 

As Seiya Suzuki can hardly speak English, he will need a exclusive interpreter at least during the games, practices, and meetings.
The difference from Ohtani is that he is married. His wife is starting to relearn English.

His wife, Airi Hatakeyama

On 11/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, totdprods said:

Adam Duvall and Eddie Rosario, Joc too, might also be worth watching, though Eddie isn't much of a RF, and Duvall doesn't walk much. Have to think some of what led the Braves to be interested in all these guys could also have carried over with Perry.

• 4 weeks later...

Koji Uehara (MLB from 2009 to 2017) and Seiya Suzuki talked on January 4th.
They belong to the same sports agency.

Suzuki said, "I had online interviews with multiple teams. It has not yet been decided which team to move to. I don't even know when to go to USA."
Finally, Uehara jokingly asked, "Are you going to Boston?"

How many right handed Japanese hitters have we seen.  Seems like the three that have had success were all left handed.  

I can’t imagine we are interested, I mean $12 million a year seems like a good deal for someone that is believe to have a ton of upside.  But unless we have a deal in place to move Marsh or Adell, I just can’t see any reason to pursue him.