• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seiya Suzuki

With 65 million committed to LF/CF, hard to see the Angels add significant payroll in the OF when they have their 3rd and 4th OFers cost controlled.  I'm not sure that the Angels can reap commensurate Japanese advertising dollars to offset Seiya's posting and salary.  With Ohtani, they are probably already getting all that is available out of that market.  It'd be fun to see though.

15 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

With 65 million committed to LF/CF, hard to see the Angels add significant payroll in the OF when they have their 3rd and 4th OFers cost controlled.  I'm not sure that the Angels can reap commensurate Japanese advertising dollars to offset Seiya's posting and salary.  With Ohtani, they are probably already getting all that is available out of that market.  It'd be fun to see though.

I think it's entirely possible that the Angels still consider dealing one of Adell or Marsh for a top arm and sign a reasonable OF. Is it Plan A? Doubtful. 
But acquiring a frontline arm by trade tends to be cheaper and a surer bet than free agency, and would allow the Angels a little more financial flexibility in the near future. 

I hate to say it, but the Angels outfield could arguably be a big question mark. Trout has missed consistent time annually, Upton has cratered, Marsh and Adell are still unproven. The potential of that quartet is huge, but hard to deny there's also big questions across the board. Even if Trout is Trout, both corners could be black holes all season long, much as they have been most of the last two seasons. 

If you could nab a solid corner bat for $8-$18m, trade Adell (say for Castillo), and keep Marsh rotating as a 4th OF or in AAA in the wings, that offers a lot of financial flexibility still to address 2nd SP, RP, and SS, and that FA OF would also likely be a more safer and flexible investment over the next 2-3 seasons than a $25m+ Robbie Ray or Kevin Gausman. Reallocate that risk to a cheaper (and perhaps less mileaged) arm like Castillo.

I'd have to think Suzuki could be an option.

46 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think it's entirely possible that the Angels still consider dealing one of Adell or Marsh for a top arm and sign a reasonable OF. Is it Plan A? Doubtful. 
But acquiring a frontline arm by trade tends to be cheaper and a surer bet than free agency, and would allow the Angels a little more financial flexibility in the near future. 

I hate to say it, but the Angels outfield could arguably be a big question mark. Trout has missed consistent time annually, Upton has cratered, Marsh and Adell are still unproven. The potential of that quartet is huge, but hard to deny there's also big questions across the board. Even if Trout is Trout, both corners could be black holes all season long, much as they have been most of the last two seasons. 

If you could nab a solid corner bat for $8-$18m, trade Adell (say for Castillo), and keep Marsh rotating as a 4th OF or in AAA in the wings, that offers a lot of financial flexibility still to address 2nd SP, RP, and SS, and that FA OF would also likely be a more safer and flexible investment over the next 2-3 seasons than a $25m+ Robbie Ray or Kevin Gausman. Reallocate that risk to a cheaper (and perhaps less mileaged) arm like Castillo.

It's hit and hit on a big-scale level. Suzuki is a great option and gives the Angels good depth should someone be traded. 

But if I was Perry seeing how Trout always gets hurt and Upton is a wreck i'd only be open to trading Marsh of Adell for the Ace with 3-4 years of control. The outfield is a massive question mark.

The Angels would have to look at Suzuki if they trade one of Adell/Marsh IMO. And maybe look at him heavily if they roll with Trout/Upton/Marsh/Adell.

54 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Good points.  I just don't see Minasian as comfortable as being a wheeler-dealer yet re: trading Marsh/Adell.  Being that Castillo's and other similar targets potential have been more vetted, Minasian will probably not get full return on their value in a trade package especially due to the premium an SP like Castillo would bring.  Does it make sense in the Angels current situation and allow them to bridge to the up and coming pitchers in the pipeline?  Absolutely.  Just that Minasian is still quite unknown being a sophomore GM.

As far as Suzuki (in a scenario where Adell or Marsh is traded), I like it for his offensive potential, despite not being known for his defense, and for the pairing of Japanese players.  It seems that a Fowler type, knowing that Jordyn Adams is going to get some time in the second half, is more likely.

43 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Good points.  I just don't see Minasian as comfortable as being a wheeler-dealer yet re: trading Marsh/Adell.  Being that Castillo's and other similar targets potential have been more vetted, Minasian will probably not get full return on their value in a trade package especially due to the premium an SP like Castillo would bring.  Does it make sense in the Angels current situation and allow them to bridge to the up and coming pitchers in the pipeline?  Absolutely.  Just that Minasian is still quite unknown being a sophomore GM.

As far as Suzuki (in a scenario where Adell or Marsh is traded), I like it for his offensive potential, despite not being known for his defense, and for the pairing of Japanese players.  It seems that a Fowler type, knowing that Jordyn Adams is going to get some time in the second half, is more likely.

The unknown variable is urgency. It's hard to know how much time Minasian (Arte mostly) are ready to wait and let things play out.

This is just a hypothetical, but I saw someone like Jorge Soler with a 3/$36m price tag. 
I'd say Soler's offensive ceiling - and defensive limitations - compare somewhat to what we could expect from Jo Adell. Obviously Adell has youth, speed, defensive potential, club control, that are better than what Soler can offer, who has more of a track record.

If you can move Adell + (Canning? a SS prospect?) for Castillo, sign Soler for RF (with maybe Marsh sliding in as Upton's days draw to a close) you're still looking at maybe $20m committed ($12MSoler, $7.6M Castillo) while adding a frontline arm and a very strong RF. Still have $30M to play with on the '22 payroll for Iglesias, a 2nd SP, relievers, SS. 

Lots of ways it can go.

55 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But

2 Japanese

Whether or not there's truth to that, things could change. 

If it was believed Shohei didn't want to be compared to a prior Japanese legend on a team, he probably doesn't have to worry about that anymore. He's already made a substantial mark on history and his legacy. Plus Shohei has enough veteran capacity on the team now, he'd possibly even lobby or endorse the pursuit of a player based on his experience and the team could oblige. If Shohei perked up and wanted a player he was familiar with added, it might help the Angels' long-term plans of keeping him.

So I don't necessarily think what was rumored a few years ago has to hold the same weight now.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Whether or not there's truth to that, things could change. 

If it was believed Shohei didn't want to be compared to a prior Japanese legend on a team, he probably doesn't have to worry about that anymore. He's already made a substantial mark on history and his legacy. Plus Shohei has enough veteran capacity on the team now, he'd possibly even lobby or endorse the pursuit of a player based on his experience and the team could oblige. If Shohei perked up and wanted a player he was familiar with added, it might help the Angels' long-term plans of keeping him.

So I don't necessarily think what was rumored a few years ago has to hold the same weight now.

the idea that shohei doesn't want to play with an asian or japanese teammate is so fucking laughably stupid that it can only exist in this timeline. same goes for the angels only wanting one asian player. 

don't let those ideas just sit in your head and seem believable in a vacuum, actually put yourself in either of their shoes and try having the conversation. it's ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, ukyah said:

the idea that shohei doesn't want to play with an asian or japanese teammate is so fucking laughably stupid that it can only exist in this timeline. same goes for the angels only wanting one asian player. 

don't let those ideas just sit in your head and seem believable in a vacuum, actually put yourself in either of their shoes and try having the conversation. it's ridiculous.

The only part I believed is that initially I could see how he'd be a little uncomfortable being constantly compared to Nomo, Darvish, Suzuki or Matsui had he been on those teams, especially larger markets. 

But I think that could also just be said that he wasn't really a big-market kinda guy.

9 hours ago, totdprods said:

Right is comes down to whether $11M for Suzuki and like $11M for Sonny Gray is better than

A 22M starter maybe Stroman, Adell, and a pitcher like Barria or Canning.

I'd personally grab the FA SP.

It would be a media driven distraction. If Ohtani wasn't so high profile it might slip under the radar. But given how he's the center of attention it would be tough for Suzuki to deal with. Coming into a different culture, unfamiliar with the league, drawn into Ohtani's vortex may be intimidating. It would also sort of brand the Angels as becoming dependent on these kind of acquisitions. Not sure of his linguistic skills, but if communication is an issue it further complicates team chemistry. In theory you would assume he would have a learning curve through much of the season.  

The outfield will be fine if Trout is healthy and in good form. If not, it opens up a major rethink.  Marsh and Adell are still capable of higher ceilings. They also both bring speed, which isn't in abundance elsewhere. Consistent hitting is the question mark. Upton is due for once to be available for longer portions of the season. If he generate his 15 + Homers  and  make better contact he can fill out the batting order somewhere between five and seven. Of course, there is always room for improvement. Legares  was solid defensivrly, but certainly an upgrade would help the depth. 

19 hours ago, ukyah said:

Yeah, we can't be allowing that Qonspiracy nonsense to cloud our judgement. 

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he's definitely the best option if they trade one of Adell or Marsh.  If they do trade one of those guys and don't get a legit player to replace them then they're looking at Upton out there a lot which makes for 3 and possibly 4 spots in the lineup that could be a problem.  

I mean, I don't think Adell or Marsh are locks to not "be a problem" in the lineup.

They have the upside to be quality lineup contributors, but they haven't established themselves as such.

Adell or Marsh could put up a .760 OPS next season, but so could Upton or Ward.

Upton or Ward could put up a .660 OPS, but so could Adell or Marsh.

11 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I mean, I don't think Adell or Marsh are locks to not "be a problem" in the lineup.

They have the upside to be quality lineup contributors, but they haven't established themselves as such.

Adell or Marsh could put up a .760 OPS next season, but so could Upton or Ward.

Upton or Ward could put up a .660 OPS, but so could Adell or Marsh.

What's more likely?