• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mets & Rocker: A No-Go

khouse

Just now, Tank said:

it would be very eye-opening for darn near all of us here to listen in on a negotiating session between players & their agents and the team. I would guess what we *think* happens isn't highly accurate.

just posted at the same time as this.

7 minutes ago, ukyah said:

just posted at the same time as this.

“Kumar requires no medical attention,” Boras continued, “and will continue to pitch in the regular course as he prepares to begin his professional career.”

hmm, mets saying he has arm issues and boras claiming he's as healthy as a horse. weird.

20 minutes ago, cals said:

Reagins showing up with flowers and chocolates to Carl Crawford’s room at the Winter Meetings and being asked to leave by the Sox rep after he had just signed with them.

Arte pulling the plug, last second, on the Rengifo for Pederson.

Unceremoniously releasing a HOF’er in a totally disrespectful manner.

Firing Daron Sutton for telling people he likes Jesus (the middle eastern one, not a Mexican).

Those, off the top of my head.

Not the same.

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

“Kumar requires no medical attention,” Boras continued, “and will continue to pitch in the regular course as he prepares to begin his professional career.”

hmm, mets saying he has arm issues and boras claiming he's as healthy as a horse. weird.

Sounds like Rocker and Borass deserve each other.

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

I wonder who we should believe? 

52 minutes ago, cals said:

To be fair, I thought it was Boras posturing as well.

First and foremost Scott Boras does not give a shit about his clients. His negotiation tactics are scorched earth with the intention of raising the ceiling with every player. The fallout of failing lands only on the player, Boras is not short of cash. 

23 minutes ago, cals said:

That’s a very chick-Ish response.  You wanted examples and I gave 4.  You may disagree to some extend with some or all of them but it’s not like I couldn’t come up with 4 examples in 5 minutes.

I was expecting examples similar to what happened between Rocker and the Mets.  

You hurt my feelings. I don’t know who you are anymore.

8 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I was expecting examples similar to what happened between Rocker and the Mets.  

You hurt my feelings. I don’t know who you are anymore.

Cals is going through some things right now. He recently lost his phone on a fishing trip. 

hot-shirk-summer-40.gif

In order for the Mets to get a replacement pick in next year’s draft, didn’t they have to offer Rocker something like 40-percent of the slot amount? So roughly $1,500,000 to $2,000,000? That’s a lot of money to walk away from if your arm is screwed up. 

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

i withdraw my earlier post. apparently, the mets feel there are serious medical issues.

https://www.mlb.com/news/kumar-rocker-does-not-sign-with-mets

Less than 24 hours after drafting him they announced an agreement.  https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/kumar-rocker-mets-agree-to-deal?t=mets-pipeline-coverage

They played the smartest guy in the room game and lost.  

17 minutes ago, cals said:

Maybe someone who knows more about this can answer this but even if his elbow was damaged, he’s still an elite pitcher and there are ways to fix injuries.   A few million bucks is peanuts for a MLB team for the signing bonus.  Why not sign him, fix him and then keep your great prospect?  Is he unfixable?  Did they really think the compensation pick would be better?

The whole thing is weird.

Exactly why I think they tried to get over. 

They knew the potential the elbow was iffy was there, they knew he refused the MRI and everyone knew about his up and down velocity, something that's been an issue for him dating back to HS. They still asked what his price was prior to drafting him.  They were willing to meet his price and built their entire draft around being to meet his price.  Then, they actually put up billboards announcing his selection....essentially marketing the guy.

It makes zero sense.   Jaden Hill was selected 44th overall after blowing out his elbow and got his full slot value of 1,689,500 from the Rockies.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

In order for the Mets to get a replacement pick in next year’s draft, didn’t they have to offer Rocker something like 40-percent of the slot amount? So roughly $1,500,000 to $2,000,000? That’s a lot of money to walk away from if your arm is screwed up. 

1 hour ago, cals said:

I think I read that that rule doesn’t apply if the player if doesn’t get the MRI.

Correct, the article I linked states that he was selected to take a pre-draft MRI by MLB, but he declined.  Because of this, the Mets or whichever team that drafted him, weren't obligated to do the offer to get a comp pick next season.  Could be the reason why the Angels and others passed on him.  The Mets probably thought it was worth the risk, knowing that they will have their team doctors see his elbow, and if they don't sign him, they'll get the pick back next year.  If the Mets didn't, I'm sure a team in the middle of the first round would've taken the risk of drafting Rocker and if they weren't able to sign him, get the pick next year.  If I was Rocker, I would've taken the MRI.  It's not the f*** up that gets you, it's the cover-up.  Rocker covering his elbow issues up might've cost him a few million.  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31934790/new-york-mets-plan-sign-top-pick-kumar-rocker-concerns-physical-exam-sources-say

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

First and foremost Scott Boras does not give a shit about his clients. His negotiation tactics are scorched earth with the intention of raising the ceiling with every player. The fallout of failing lands only on the player, Boras is not short of cash. 

i disagree with the notion that he doesn't serve his clients. caring about them like a nanny is not his job. he's there to get them paid and he's the master at that. he has both a history of going for the maximum money and also of listening to his clients when they want a particular team at the expense of money, etc.

there's nothing he can do to get rocker paid if the mets decide not to offer a contract. he's going to work like a motherfucker over the next year to make sure as best he can that rocker is in the position to get that #1 money. it sure will be interesting to see how this goes.

13 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Correct, the article I linked states that he was selected to take a pre-draft MRI by MLB, but he declined.  Because of this, the Mets or whichever team that drafted him, weren't obligated to do the offer to get a comp pick next season.  Could be the reason why the Angels and others passed on him.  The Mets probably thought it was worth the risk, knowing that they will have their team doctors see his elbow, and if they don't sign him, they'll get the pick back next year.  If the Mets didn't, I'm sure a team in the middle of the first round would've taken the risk of drafting Rocker and if they weren't able to sign him, get the pick next year.  If I was Rocker, I would've taken the MRI.  It's not the f*** up that gets you, it's the cover-up.  Rocker covering his elbow issues up might've cost him a few million.  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31934790/new-york-mets-plan-sign-top-pick-kumar-rocker-concerns-physical-exam-sources-say

i think the 40 percent rule is exactly why boras didn't have him take the medical exam. they didn't want to be offered a discount contract, and then have the obligations passed on to them.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Less than 24 hours after drafting him they announced an agreement.  https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/kumar-rocker-mets-agree-to-deal?t=mets-pipeline-coverage

They played the smartest guy in the room game and lost.  

explain "the smartest guy in the room" comment, if you don't mind.

if that article and the "never offered a contract" article are both true, which i think they probably are, then i'm curious what you're implying.