• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mets & Rocker: A No-Go

khouse

50 minutes ago, failos said:

Yep. A bad shoulder is not something a pitcher can easily overcome. I would have to assume the Mets knew about the elbow issues, but were caught off guard by the shoulder stuff—I mean, they can’t be that incompetent.

As a veteran of Rotator Cuff surgery, it's a pretty big deal....My result has been fairly successful even though I haven't put the strengthening work in I should have....I am limited and always will be.... I can't imagine the difference it would make to a pitcher trying to throw 95.....just that extra tick in velocity is important....TJ surgery doesn't hurt velocity at all, some are even better afterward....but the shoulder is a different thing entirely.....I get why teams are spooked....

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think part of that is because they used to call labrum tears rotator cuff injuries.   You still always hear about labrums.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

labrum sounds a bit sexier, so that makes sense.

A few of our own pitchers have tore their labia i think

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Again, the smartest thing said in this thread is we will find out eventually.  Either he goes to indie ball, blows something out and needs surgery, or he dispels whatever concerns there might be.  It's someone else's shit-show for a change.

Thank goodness

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Thats fine -- we see it differently.

But IMO, if you walk into a car dealership, see 50 cars with their hoods up, and one with the hood down..  Ask "what's wrong with the one car?".... and they tell you, "nothing, it's just such a great car you really don't even need to look under the hood, look at it's performance as proof"...  THEN, you walk up to the window, see the price listed as 4.5 mil but you STILL turn to the salesman and say -- okay, I see the sticker price is 4.5 mil but I'll give you 6 mil!!!  Yes, you're dumb.  I can't even get my head around the thought process.

When you consider the decision to draft Rocker made it so they had to take lesser players, it's even dumber.   

Whatever their motivations are for not making an offer after the fact we may not know for a while, but they are guilty of grossly underestimating the risks...   Maybe it's not the elbow at all and it's a shoulder issue instead which is entirely more worrisome...  Not making an offer in that situation is probably the best call, but everything they did up to that point was dumb and the 10 teams that picked before them were smart enough not to blow the first draft after last years 5 rounder on a player that showed worrisome velocity fluctuations and then refused an MRI that would have dispelled those concerns.  

i don't think we see it that differently, but you're pretty fired up about it.

i think the main difference of opinion is the "stupidity" of the mets. i look at it like, someone was going to draft that guy and take the risk that he needed tjs right away. there's no way everybody was just going to let him fall off the draft completely. so, inevitably, some team was going to take the draft risk for the big time reward of getting potentially the #1 pitcher in the draft at whatever spot. the mets were the team to do it at #10, then potentially found substantially more worrisome medicals than everyone expected. we all agree it reads like a shoulder issue. was taking him a mistake? in hindsight, yes. but they didn't compound the mistake by throwing good money after bad. they bounced and reset for the #11 pick next year, which is supposedly a better draft class too. the real damage isn't the loss of rocker, it's the effect it had on the rest of their draft selections which are now of lesser value, since they picked according to expected remaining bonus pool dollars.

in conclusion, rocker was getting drafted. apparently whichever team that did so was going to win the wrong kind of lottery.

14 minutes ago, failos said:

No he’s pretty dark for an allegedly white guy. He also uses slang and listens to mumble rap

You met me at night while I was wearing a Garret Anderson jersey. In the light of day, you'd see I'm the palest guy you've ever met. My skin is translucent. 

It's why I have so much guilt.