• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are the Angels a "bad" team?

we suck again GIF

I was listening to the Yankees "rant" webcast and the guy said they lost to a bad team. Are we a bad team? If so, are we bad because we're under .500 or because of other things? How would you characterize the Angels? 

At this point they're definitely not good.  3rd worst team ERA and one of the worst defenses in the league.  I'm sure there's some advanced metrics or stats that say they're better than their record but at the end of the day it comes down to wins and losses.  This team unfortunately feels like the teams we've seen the last 5+ years.  Hopefully that's changed by the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I did forget to add Stassi, Gosselin, Suarez, Sandoval, a healthy Upton, and for the past month plus Fletcher.

The rest as a group have been meh.

"Meh" means mediocre, basically. I'd say if you take out all the good players, the rest suck - so the total result is "meh" (meaning, with the good players included).

But to the original post, no, it isn't a "bad" team. It is an OK team, thus the OK record (near .500). I mean, while there's a story behind every team, in the end a team is only as good as its record. 

There aren't just good and bad teams, there is a spectrum. The Rangers are a bad team, so are the Orioles and Pirates and Diamondbacks. The Angels are better than those teams. So, roughly speaking:

Terrible: <65 wins

Bad: 65-74 wins

OK: 75-84 wins

Good: 85-94 wins

Great: 95+ wins

Or something like that. I think the Angels--with the team they have right now--are closer to being Good than Bad.

38 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I was listening to the Yankees "rant" webcast and the guy said they lost to a bad team. Are we a bad team? If so, are we bad because we're under .500 or because of other things? How would you characterize the Angels? 

Well fuck that guy. The angels aren’t a bad team. The Yankees are a bad team and I hope they fail miserably.

The Angels are what their record says they are. .500 is an average record, Angels are under .500, which means that they are a bad team. It's been like this since 2016. The last season when the Angels had a good record was in 2015, and even then, they weren't that good. People have been pointing out that the Angels are wasting Trout for years and they're not wrong. It's like what the Cubs did to Ernie Banks/Billy Williams and going further back, the Red Sox did the same thing to Ted Williams despite him giving them great seasons after great seasons. It's just a crime at this point for what the Angels have done to Trout by failing to put a winning product out on the field for a long time. To me, Trout is a once-in-a-century player. I mean, he's an eight-time All-Star, three-time MVP winner, has finished runner-up for the MVP four times (even then it's debatable that he should have won the MVP at least two more times), been Rookie of the Year, posted an OPS+ of 168 or better in his first eight full seasons despite playing a majority of those in pitching dominant seasons while playing terrific defense in center field. I don't think another player will be able to accomplish what Trout's done for the next 100 years, maybe even longer than that. 

I was reading about the 2002 Angels the other day and there was a section where Steve Bisheff basically said that the 2002 squad was the definition of a team. They didn't have a single superstar player, like Trout. However, they worked together as a team and did the little things that wouldn't always show up on the box score like putting the ball in play and moving runners over. The 2021 squad lacks the depth that the 2002 team had, especially in the pitching rotation.