• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Apparently the Angels are sellers (according to Fangraphs)

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Oh??  I see we opted to double down on the cherry picked stat..  LOL

Career BB/9 rates for our historically poor control pitchers.

Heaney 2.5 BB/9, this year 3.0
Cobb  2.6 BB/9 ,this year 3.2
Quintana 2.6 BB/9, this year 7.0
Canning 3.4 BB/9, this year 4.0
Bundy 2.9 BB/9, this year 2.5
Ohtani 3.8 BB/9 (18), this year 6.4

The MLB average BB/9 this year is 3.4   The lowest it's been ACROSS MLB in the last 5 years is 3.2

Not only do the facts not support your position, it's painting you out to be a "mental midget."

Anyone else lol @ IP calling nate a midget?

On 6/1/2021 at 11:25 AM, totdprods said:

I really wanted the Angels to deal Bundy this past winter, to either the Dodgers, Padres, Indians, Twins, someone who would have maybe sent back a Top 100 SP prospect. Angels would have probably needed to kick in another piece - and maybe get some MLB depth back, relievers, catcher, etc., but it will be an opportunity I think they squandered. Thought it would be better to lose Bundy's 'proven' upside for one year in order to gain another good MLB-ready SP prospect for the long-term.

I could still see a team like the Dodgers or Giants having interest in Bundy, and Heaney will definitely have suitors as well.

Most well run organizations know Bundy sucks and would not give anything for him. It was probably worth more to just keep him and hope he reproduced something remotely close to last year.

3 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Could Walsh and Ohtani do for us what Sale and Eaton did for the Chisox?  

In theory would you trade those 2 for Kopech, Eloy, Giolito and Dunning? (what the Sox got)

Ohtani is 2 players so no would want  more. Ohtani is better than Sale and Eaton together. Plus Walsh and Ohtani cheap players right now. I would trade Trout for Giplito and Kopech

3 hours ago, Mark PT said:

Most well run organizations know Bundy sucks and would not give anything for him. It was probably worth more to just keep him and hope he reproduced something remotely close to last year.

In before Bundy wins the Cy Young playing for the A’s.

17 hours ago, eligrba said:

In before Bundy wins the Cy Young playing for the A’s.

Ya, that organization is the largest joke in all of sports. How your main strategy is to develop player, then get rid of them for prospects is nothing short of self-destructive. Yet it seems to work every time. To be able to hit on as many prospects as they do is a miracle

6 hours ago, Mark PT said:

Ya, that organization is the largest joke in all of sports. How your main strategy is to develop player, then get rid of them for prospects is nothing short of self-destructive. Yet it seems to work every time. To be able to hit on as many prospects as they do is a miracle

Really, though? You're saying that the As are a joke, but then admitting that they somehow make good trades and bring in good prospects, but then chalk it up to being a miracle. Come on, dude. Bad take.

The As contend most years, all while having a budget 1/3 to 1/2 of the Angels. I'd say they're one of the best-run orgs in baseball.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:20 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Really, though? You're saying that the As are a joke, but then admitting that they somehow make good trades and bring in good prospects, but then chalk it up to being a miracle. Come on, dude. Bad take.

The As contend most years, all while having a budget 1/3 to 1/2 of the Angels. I'd say they're one of the best-run orgs in baseball.

You misunderstand what I mean. Yes they are run well but their ability to always hit on prospects is a joke. That makes them lucky. But yes they are run well.

6 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

You misunderstand what I mean. Yes they are run well but their ability to always hit on prospects is a joke. That makes them lucky. But yes they are run well.

Why is it a joke? Maybe they are just have good scouting? If they "always" do it, then it isn't luck, and part of being run well is scouting/player analysis.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Why is it a joke? Maybe they just have good scouting? If they "always" do it, then it isn't luck, and part of being run well is scouting.

Not all prospects make it. Cant deny they must have great scouting. But to rid themselves of all their players that produce year in and out causes the results they have had. To make the playoffs as much as they have and have nothing to show for it (admit it is more then we have) is the result. The Angels suck because Arte does not believe in pitching, the A's win the division but cant make it past the division round.

My initial response is obviously out of frustration but it must also be frustrating to be an A's fan,

4 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

Not all prospects make it. Cant deny they must have great scouting. But to rid themselves of all their players that produce year in and out causes the results they have had. To make the playoffs as much as they have and have nothing to show for it (admit it is more then we have) is the result. The Angels suck because Arte does not believe in pitching, the A's win the division but cant make it past the division round.

My initial response is obviously out of frustration but it must also be frustrating to be an A's fan,

I can see how Athletics fans would be frustrated by their lack of a WS in a few decades, but on the other hand, at least they get to regularly experience the postseason.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I can see how Athletics fans would be frustrated by their lack of a WS in a few decades, but on the other hand, at least they get to regularly experience the postseason.

That's true. And at least they have a descent chance of having good talent come into their system.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:09 AM, nate said:

The defense is bad, but FIP is literally "Fielding Independent Pitching" so, as with all data, anyone can cherry pick stats to fit their narrative. The pitching is fucking awful, so is the defense.

Time to revisit this..

Since May 23rd the Angels have gone 9-5..

During that span the team ERA is 3.82 -- 10th overall in MLB.  FIP 3.69 (7th), xFIP 3.73 (5th), SIERRA 3.76 (5th), and pitcher fWAR 2.3 (4th)...    1st overall since June 1.
BaBIP .278 16th, right at league average.

Opening day through May 22nd.

ERA 5.28 -- dead last.   FIP 4.57 (26th), xFIP 4.04 (18th), SIERRA 4.04 (16th), fWAR 1.9 (27th)
Babip .314 29th.

Amazing what turning batted balls into outs can do for a team. 

The gap between the ERA and the FIP is back over a run in June, so it's not like the defense has gotten significantly better but the BABIP (.290 in June 16th overall), is making the argument that they haven't been as "unlucky".  

So yeah... the key to turning this around is going to be for the team to play better defense.  

Lastly -- the offense has rebounded.  Last two weeks: 9th in wOBA, wRC+, and fWAR.