• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Call up Jo Adell now

IMO Adell shouldn’t be called up until September. 

The Angels gave it a shot last year and he clearly wasn’t ready. Lucky for the Angels it seems Adell’s confidence hasn’t taken a hit. They cannot f*ck this up again.

The Angels stink (shocking I know). Adell could be a superstar and that still wouldn’t change much for the Angels. You can’t call this kid up for the second time because your team f’n sucks and you’re looking for a miracle to try and salvage a unsalvageable season. 

.238/.294/.634. Sure, the power is exciting, but he's not making contact or taking walks, meaning he hasn't really moved forward on the underlying problems and is thus far from ready. In a way, I'm more concerned than I was a month ago, if only because I'd like to see some progress. Adell's main task was (or should be) to work on his contact and plate discipline, as well as his defense. The defense seems to be improving--but still probably not major league caliber--but there's been no progress with the walks and Ks. I'm a bit worried that his success with hitting HR has made him not work on the other things, although this would imply bad coaching.

Check out his rates from 2019-21:

2019 (AA): 10.4% BB, 22.5% SO

2019 (AAA): 7.6%, 32.6%

2020 (Majors): 5.3%, 41.7%

2021 (AAA): 5.5%, 33.3%

Notice the difference between AA and AAA/Majors. What happened there? Is it simply higher competition? The gap between AA and AAA isn't huge, so I don't think that adequately explains it. 

One sliver of hope is that his BABIP is .226 so far this year, so there could be some luck involved in his low BA. But I'd really like to see those walks go up. He doesn't need to be Trout, but even just an average rate (which in recent years is in the 8-9% range).

Another glaring stat is that his LD% is way down this year. For most of his career it has been around 20% and was even 18.8% last year in the majors. This year it is 7.8%. Not sure what that's about.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

.238/.294/.634. Sure, the power is exciting, but he's not making contact or taking walks, meaning he hasn't really moved forward on the underlying problems and is thus far from ready. In a way, I'm more concerned than I was a month ago, if only because I'd like to see some progress. Adell's main task was (or should be) to work on his contact and plate discipline, as well as his defense. The defense seems to be improving--but still probably not major league caliber--but there's been no progress with the walks and Ks. I'm a bit worried that his success with hitting HR has made him not work on the other things, although this would imply bad coaching.

Check out his rates from 2019-21:

2019 (AA): 10.4% BB, 22.5% SO

2019 (AAA): 7.6%, 32.6%

2020 (Majors): 5.3%, 41.7%

2021 (AAA): 5.5%, 33.3%

Notice the difference between AA and AAA/Majors. What happened there? Is it simply higher competition? The gap between AA and AAA isn't huge, so I don't think that adequately explains it. 

One sliver of hope is that his BABIP is .226 so far this year, so there could be some luck involved in his low BA. But I'd really like to see those walks go up. He doesn't need to be Trout, but even just an average rate (which in recent years is in the 8-9% range).

Another glaring stat is that his LD% is way down this year. For most of his career it has been around 20% and was even 18.8% last year in the majors. This year it is 7.8%. Not sure what that's about.

I would argue that a roughly 50% increase in K rate and around a 40% decline in BB rate between AA and AA is actually significant.

Adell's numbers are hilarious. 

He can hit 60 bombs this year idgaf. If he can't get on base at a .300 clip (which is still terrible, btw) and is striking out 30% of the time he ain't ready.

He will be, though. I don't doubt his ability. He'll adjust. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

At this point it seem like his strike rate have become constant. he's dropped that rate from over 40% down to 33%.

But I still would like that walk rate to go up. 

At the moment, give him more time and hope he starts to walk more. 

His K and walk rates in AA were 22.5 and 10.4%...   Those are probably safe AAA target goals.

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

At this point it seem like his strike rate have become constant. he's dropped that rate from over 40% down to 33%.

But I still would like that walk rate to go up. 

At the moment, give him more time and hope he starts to walk more. 

At 33% in today's game is not bad with that power. I leave him down to see what happens at fire sale.