• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The major league batting average average is .235

yk9001

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

i thought .235 was super super low (even understanding small sample size, April, etc).  Eh, i randomly selected 2010 and the season average was .257.  Maybe not that big a deal.

.245 in 2020.  

.252 in 2019.

.248 in 2018.

36 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

i thought .235 was super super low (even understanding small sample size, April, etc).  Eh, i randomly selected 2010 and the season average was .257.  Maybe not that big a deal.

No, it sucks.  People wonder why Manfred is tinkering. It’s because batting averages suck. 

30 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Strikeouts and shifts are turning Major League Baseball into a Major League snoozefest 

It’s getting more like playing over the line.

I guess the good news is we could speed the game up by just getting rid of the base running altogether.

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It’s getting more like playing over the line.

I guess the good news is we could speed the game up by just getting rid of the base running altogether.

But I don't understand how shifts are ruining anything.  To me, a shift gives at least the possibility of something interesting happening.

If there were no shifts, most players are still going to be trying to launch angle home runs; and strike out a lot. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

And finally HRs: 
2020:  1.28
2010:  0.95
2000:  1.17
1990:  0.79
1980:  0.73

Basically over my lifetime of watching this game its something like this:
AVG:  down ~30 pts
OBP: roughly similar
SLG: up about 30 pts
Ks:  almost doubled.
HR:  up by about 50%

Home runs are up 75.3%

48 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

But I don't understand how shifts are ruining anything.  To me, a shift gives at least the possibility of something interesting happening.

If there were no shifts, most players are still going to be trying to launch angle home runs; and strike out a lot. 

I didn’t say anything about anything being “ruined.”

I am just saying watching a hitter hit against the shift feels like watch people play over the line.

And I think most hitters are still trying to launch angle home runs and striking out a lot against the shift.  I would be happier to see hitters attempt to beat the shift with a different approach, but I don’t see it, do you?

Edited by Dtwncbad

2 hours ago, nate said:

The change to the baseball has led to fewer HRs and decreased power hitting in general. I think it will push baseball more toward a contact hitting philosophy and away from the current feast or famine philosophy. At least I am hopeful it will.

Interestingly the weight change to the baseball has increased exit velocities, which is theoretically more than canceled out by the increased drag in the air. In theory there should be more hits through the infield on balls in play. The unfortunate side effect seems to be even more strikeouts. As much as I hate the idea, if this continues to play out through the season I could get on board the idea of moving the mound back slightly.

5 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Wait - explain again why shifts are bad?

Depends. At home, on your own toilet, with a good book, theyre great. Home depot bathroom, with the guy next to you playing the trumpet, and you trying to be polite and not laugh, with recycled paper one ply, they suck.

Oh, shiFts. Sorry.