• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should we give Dylan Bundy an extension?

Docwaukee

• Docwaukee changed the title to Should we give Dylan Bundy an extension?

He's a tough one, like Bauer.  He has had the one great season last year in a shortened season where he had 11 starts.  All his other seasons are pretty pedestrian, and in tune with a 4/5 pitcher.  

But if he finally figured it out, and does the same thing this season, then he could ask for big bucks.  But if you give him the big bucks with a long contract, and he is a 4/5 pitcher, then you are stuck.  

I'd say you have to wait till at least midseason before talking extension with him.  

I could see them doing this if they don't blow their entire wad on Bauer and only sign on mid-level starter (e.g. Sugano or Odorizzi). But if I'm Bundy, just 28 years old and coming of my best (if abbreviated) season, I'm not taking 4/$50M. If he solidifies his status as a good #3, then he's hitting free agency at 29 years old and could get something like 5/$80M.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I could see them doing this if they don't blow their entire wad on Bauer and only sign on mid-level starter (e.g. Sugano or Odorizzi). But if I'm Bundy, just 28 years old and coming of my best (if abbreviated) season, I'm not taking 4/$50M. If he solidifies his status as a good #3, then he's hitting free agency at 29 years old and could get something like 5/$80M.

that's kinda why I'm hoping to lock him up now.  Get a better deal by taking on some of his risk.  

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, but again, if you were Bundy would you accept 4/$50M right now?

Yea, I sure as hell would strongly consider it.  If he has another subpar year, he is going to be a year to year pitcher that will get $5-7 million to come to a team and eat innings.  

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I sure as hell would strongly consider it.  If he has another subpar year, he is going to be a year to year pitcher that will get $5-7 million to come to a team and eat innings.  

I'm sure he would consider it, but players tend to have confidence in their abilities, sometimes over-confidence. And why should he be thinking, "Maybe I'm not as good as this?" He's 28 years old, and feeling high on finally fulfilling his potential.

Again, the Angels can and should take his temperature, but I would be surprised if he accepted 4/$50M right now.

Edited by Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

No deal let's how season goes. If halos fall out of contention they could use Bundy as trade chip. Keep all options open.

You do know people can still be used for trade chips with a contract extension right? If anything, if he’s having a great year that would bring up his value even more. Means he won’t just be a rental for whatever team gets him.

2 hours ago, Bronson said:

You do know people can still be used for trade chips with a contract extension right? If anything, if he’s having a great year that would bring up his value even more. Means he won’t just be a rental for whatever team gets him.

He also can get hurt and you stuck with that contract. Why rush with an extension, let season play out.