• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month 
    Click on the image above to donate!

Should we give Dylan Bundy an extension?

• Dochalo changed the title to Should we give Dylan Bundy an extension?
Contribute to the Barstool Fund
Click on the image above to learn more!

He's a tough one, like Bauer.  He has had the one great season last year in a shortened season where he had 11 starts.  All his other seasons are pretty pedestrian, and in tune with a 4/5 pitcher.  

But if he finally figured it out, and does the same thing this season, then he could ask for big bucks.  But if you give him the big bucks with a long contract, and he is a 4/5 pitcher, then you are stuck.  

I'd say you have to wait till at least midseason before talking extension with him.  

I could see them doing this if they don't blow their entire wad on Bauer and only sign on mid-level starter (e.g. Sugano or Odorizzi). But if I'm Bundy, just 28 years old and coming of my best (if abbreviated) season, I'm not taking 4/$50M. If he solidifies his status as a good #3, then he's hitting free agency at 29 years old and could get something like 5/$80M.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I could see them doing this if they don't blow their entire wad on Bauer and only sign on mid-level starter (e.g. Sugano or Odorizzi). But if I'm Bundy, just 28 years old and coming of my best (if abbreviated) season, I'm not taking 4/$50M. If he solidifies his status as a good #3, then he's hitting free agency at 29 years old and could get something like 5/$80M.

that's kinda why I'm hoping to lock him up now.  Get a better deal by taking on some of his risk.  

depends what it would cost.
Im not paying him based only on last year so... but if its in the right price range we should yes
We have a lot of parts coming due next year, resolving him now instead of leaving too many for one off season might make sense. 

I could see him getting a 3-4 year extension.  If we are up against Arte’s annual budget I could see them reworking this year, into a multi year deal where it takes a million from this year and tacks it and more onto another year.  

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, but again, if you were Bundy would you accept 4/$50M right now?

I think he'll be pitching for more than that this year. Which could both benefit and hurt the Angels.

I'm kinda high on meds right now.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, but again, if you were Bundy would you accept 4/$50M right now?

Yea, I sure as hell would strongly consider it.  If he has another subpar year, he is going to be a year to year pitcher that will get $5-7 million to come to a team and eat innings.  

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I sure as hell would strongly consider it.  If he has another subpar year, he is going to be a year to year pitcher that will get $5-7 million to come to a team and eat innings.  

I'm sure he would consider it, but players tend to have confidence in their abilities, sometimes over-confidence. And why should he be thinking, "Maybe I'm not as good as this?" He's 28 years old, and feeling high on finally fulfilling his potential.

Again, the Angels can and should take his temperature, but I would be surprised if he accepted 4/$50M right now.

Edited by Angelsjunky
21 hours ago, gotbeer said:

He's a tough one, like Bauer.  He has had the one great season last year in a shortened season where he had 11 starts.  All his other seasons are pretty pedestrian, and in tune with a 4/5 pitcher.  

But if he finally figured it out, and does the same thing this season, then he could ask for big bucks.  But if you give him the big bucks with a long contract, and he is a 4/5 pitcher, then you are stuck.  

I'd say you have to wait till at least midseason before talking extension with him.  

We've been stuck for 10 years with Albert.