• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

btw, it kinda sucks being in that position.  To me, an extra 10-15 mil could help the team considerably if spent correctly.  A better player than Cobb.  A better player than Fowler.  Another solid pen piece.  But I think we can all understand how there might be some PTSD there.  

2 minutes ago, T.G. said:

In the latest episode of as the Hot Stove Turns...

We find Angels fans become discouraged as free agent pitchers sign with other teams.  That disappointment soon turns to some miss-placed optimism, as they turn their focus to other unassigned talent.

Will reality set in?  Or will they be rewarded for their optimism?

Image result for grasping at straws gif

you forgot to include Ward being a catcher now so we won't need one for the next 4 years.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think it's that hard to understand.  The ownership group makes a certain amount based on what they spend.  The largest variable to what they spend is player payroll.  Spend less, make more  

It's always choice.  There are no cut in stone limitations.  MLB doesn't have a cap.  So any 'limitation' is going to be directed by the individual teams.  

I don't blame Arte for taking the approach we're seeing.  Imagine spending 9m on Cody Allen or whatever was spent of Teheran or Cozart or Harvey or Cahill or any other failure that was a flush of millions down the toilet.  A guy picked up on waivers was way better than someone we spent 9 millions dollars on.  He's not gonna keep falling for the banana in the tailpipe.    

To be clear, i dont blame Arte for the past, he has spent, he has tried, he has made an effort.  Very few teams have outspend us in the last 10 years.

But thats not my point either.

I understood not chasing rainbows in previous seasons, i didnt like it but i got it that we were not likely to overcome the Astros no matter what we did for some of those years short of remaking the entire roster.

What i am disappointed in, is the now.  The window is wide open if we were willing to do a little more, and it seems were not.

I understand the economics of it, i wish we could stop having the same old same old arguments around here.  Were all very much aware of how that works.  Thats not what im talking about at all.

It comes down to this, if we are not willing to go above comfort level now, while Trout is in his prime and the pieces were all there to be had if we were willing to go there, then when would we be?  If ever?  It would seem the answer is an unfortunate no. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

btw, it kinda sucks being in that position.  To me, an extra 10-15 mil could help the team considerably if spent correctly.  A better player than Cobb.  A better player than Fowler.  Another solid pen piece.  But I think we can all understand how there might be some PTSD there.  

This is kind of the exact point i was making earlier actually.
Im not talking Bauer, im talking about exactly this. 

On 2/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, mmc said:

With how cheap all of these relievers are going, I'm gonna be really annoyed if we don't sign a couple.  Absolutely no reason for us not to.

How many players do you think are already on the 40 man roster? 

6 hours ago, floplag said:

To be clear, i dont blame Arte for the past, he has spent, he has tried, he has made an effort.  Very few teams have outspend us in the last 10 years.

But thats not my point either.

I understood not chasing rainbows in previous seasons, i didnt like it but i got it that we were not likely to overcome the Astros no matter what we did for some of those years short of remaking the entire roster.

What i am disappointed in, is the now.  The window is wide open if we were willing to do a little more, and it seems were not.

I understand the economics of it, i wish we could stop having the same old same old arguments around here.  Were all very much aware of how that works.  Thats not what im talking about at all.

It comes down to this, if we are not willing to go above comfort level now, while Trout is in his prime and the pieces were all there to be had if we were willing to go there, then when would we be?  If ever?  It would seem the answer is an unfortunate no. 

I agree with everything you've mentioned for the most part.  This is the first year that the argument is actually relevant.  It's not even about Trout.  We have a window starting now.  Do what you can to jump on it.