• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Not sure why but I kind of like his delivery although it has an obvious visual change between fastball and off speed. He will need to disguise that more. 

Who?

24 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

The Mets are paying 10M in 2021 and 7M in 2022 with a 3M buyout on a player’s option for 2023. I know they’re completely different pitchers but Walker has a better career ERA than both Odorizzi and Bauer. Great deal for the Mets. 

One thing you're forgetting is that over the last 3 years, Walker has started a total of 15 games 

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I agree with everything you've mentioned for the most part.  This is the first year that the argument is actually relevant.  It's not even about Trout.  We have a window starting now.  Do what you can to jump on it.  

True of course, but Trout does make it a little more, idk, necessary dont you think?
Can you imagine the collar this org will have if  the best player f the generation never makes the post or has post season success?  Well never get that stink off.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

2/20 feels high for him, but it is what it is i guess after other recent signings.
Youre not getting Odorizzi for less than 12 now i would think so 3/30 turns into 3/36-40.

Drew Smyly is making 11M this year, Kluber is making 11M this year, and GRich is making 10M this year. Even though these are 1 year deals, Walker is only making 7M next year which is basically what JAKE ARRIETA just got. It’s not an over pay. 

18 hours ago, floplag said:

It comes down to this, if we are not willing to go above comfort level now, while Trout is in his prime and the pieces were all there to be had if we were willing to go there, then when would we be?  If ever?  It would seem the answer is an unfortunate no. 

Good post and the question is a good one, however, I would still say that the answer is that we just don't know.  Mainly because it is the first year of Minasian's tenure and it is clear, to me at least, that evaluation is a huge part of his plan for year 1.  He wants to know if he has a legitimate new core in C-Rod, Detmers and Ohtani, as well as if the upside that Walsh and Stassi have shown are realized in a full season.  And then there is the uncertainty of the timeline of Adell to realize enough of his potential to evaluate whether he should be viewed as part of a new core or a trade piece for other needs.  The moves he makes in years 2 & 3 will be hugely impacted by what happens in year 1, both with the big club's question marks and farm development.  For example, I would hope that he would find himself looking at true TOR arms if he no longer has to spend to stabilize the back end because of the growth/recovery of the aforementioned three.

While it does seem that this is an evaluation year, I would not go so far as to say that we can be sure that they (PM & Arte) won't be willing to go into the tax once their situation goes from trying to make the playoffs to being a legitimate post-season contender.  The supposed Trout window clouds the issue because I'm pretty sure that it is not really a consideration to the front office, despite what John Carpino says to placate fans.

30 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

Drew Smyly is making 11M this year, Kluber is making 11M this year, and GRich is making 10M this year. Even though these are 1 year deals, Walker is only making 7M next year which is basically what JAKE ARRIETA just got. It’s not an over pay. 

He's making $10M

37 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

OR many of them are.

8 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Good post and the question is a good one, however, I would still say that the answer is that we just don't know.  Mainly because it is the first year of Minasian's tenure and it is clear, to me at least, that evaluation is a huge part of his plan for year 1.  He wants to know if he has a legitimate new core in C-Rod, Detmers and Ohtani, as well as if the upside that Walsh and Stassi have shown are realized in a full season.  And then there is the uncertainty of the timeline of Adell to realize enough of his potential to evaluate whether he should be viewed as part of a new core or a trade piece for other needs.  The moves he makes in years 2 & 3 will be hugely impacted by what happens in year 1, both with the big club's question marks and farm development.  For example, I would hope that he would find himself looking at true TOR arms if he no longer has to spend to stabilize the back end because of the growth/recovery of the aforementioned three.

While it does seem that this is an evaluation year, I would not go so far as to say that we can be sure that they (PM & Arte) won't be willing to go into the tax once their situation goes from trying to make the playoffs to being a legitimate post-season contender.  The supposed Trout window clouds the issue because I'm pretty sure that it is not really a consideration to the front office, despite what John Carpino says to placate fans.

Perhaps, but it really isnt Perry that i question, its Arte's willingness to go above tax, which is to say unwillingness.

No we dont know, its assumption and guessing.  We do know we could have done better this off season, perhaps a lot better, if we chose to.   My point is that comfort or not, if there was ever a time to do it, it was now.  

Youre probably right, the Trout thing matters more to fans than execs, perhaps that the problem.  Why invest that kind of money, to not see it thru?

Its not over, there is still time for some late miracle trade which is what i believe they are trying to do, but if that does not materialize, were not in a great place and have only ourselves to blame for that.

4 hours ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

The Mets are paying 10M in 2021 and 7M in 2022 with a 3M buyout on a player’s option for 2023. I know they’re completely different pitchers but Walker has a better career ERA than both Odorizzi and Bauer. Great deal for the Mets. 

I would have loved Walker on the Angels at that price.

Quintana probably should've made 10 million. The Angels got him for 8. If Cobb was a free agent, he probably would've got 1/7. The Angels overpaid with Jahmai Jones, but getting him at 4 million is another value deal, particularly when you consider most of it is deferred until they have money off the books. 

Minasian isn't lighting the world on fire with these moves, but there isn't a single sane person that believes they've overpaid monetarily. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Angels overpaid with Jahmai Jones

You keep saying the Angels overpaid with Jones but it's not true. He was not a top prospect, he was just the last of the Dipoto draft picks that never really grew into any position. He struggled with the bat in both A+ and AA. Sorry but he is the definition of the guy you throw in a trade without looking back.