• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

Curious as to where the people upset about losing Jones expected him to get any playing time on our roster both this season and the next several?  He's at least third on the utility depth chart behind Rengifo and Barreto, and we also have Robel Garcia who was claimed off waivers and Phil Gosselin who, while not a starting caliber player, has shown way more at the MLB level.

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

Curious as to where the people upset about losing Jones expected him to get any playing time on our roster both this season and the next several?  He's at least third on the utility depth chart behind Rengifo and Barreto, and we also have Robel Garcia who was claimed off waivers and Phil Gosselin who, while not a starting caliber player, has shown way more at the MLB level.

I think the thought is, if you are going to move him move him as a secondary piece to get someone with either higher upside/higher probability of success or for someone with more club control.   

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think the thought is, if you are going to move him move him as a secondary piece to get someone with either higher upside/higher probability of success or for someone with more club control.   

Of course this is the ideal solution,  but I still think that if this could've happened, it would've.  The trade indicates to me that Jones had very little value around the league, except to a team like the Orioles who are penny pinching to the point where they tried to defer Santander's arbitration contract, and just want someone who they can slot in and pay hardly anything.  I compare Jones's value to last season when the A's traded Jorge Mateo who is very comparable to Jones (formerly highly regarded prospect whose value tanked because as they moved up the minor leagues, they stopped being able to hit and are a similar age), and all the A's got in return was a PTBNL/cash.  And so because of that, I have no issue with trading a player who is not expected to ever contribute for one that will.

9 minutes ago, mmc said:

Neither Barreto or Rengifo have done jack at the major league level so far.  They both deserve more time but having either or both of them getting regular PT as the primary stop gap could be ugly.  

Most people aren't upset about losing Jones as much as they are about getting Cobb and potentially dedicating a bunch of innings to him.  Cobb is a borderline waiver pickup or someone who's easily replaceable with a minor league contract.  Why give up anything at all?  

If quintana were still on a team under contract and we had to trade for him and take on 8m to do so, giving up Jones wouldn't have bothered me because I view Quintana as have value to the team.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Neither Barreto or Rengifo have done jack at the major league level so far.  They both deserve more time but having either or both of them getting regular PT as the primary stop gap could be ugly.  

Most people aren't upset about losing Jones as much as they are about getting Cobb and potentially dedicating a bunch of innings to him.  Cobb is a borderline waiver pickup or someone who's easily replaceable with a minor league contract.  Why give up anything at all?  

If quintana were still on a team under contract and we had to trade for him and take on 8m to do so, giving up Jones wouldn't have bothered me because I view Quintana as have value to the team.  

I know this response will sound incredibly stupid, and I didn't like the acquisition either, but the answer is that Minasian values Cobb more than you or I do.  Whether he's right or not remains to be seen but we've yet to see the results from any of his acquisitions so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one for the time being.  I completely understand why people are skeptical but I guess I just feel like because it's his first year, we should see if he's correct on his assessments of players before jumping to the conclusion that Cobb isn't someone we could use.

45 minutes ago, Fourts said:

So is pitch “fixing/tweak” the Pitchers spring training version of “best shape of career” for position players now? 

I mean if we have the system to spot pitching mechanic flaws that are easy fixes that would be incredible. We could sign struggling pitchers, make tweaks, watch them soar. Perhaps that happened with Bundy.

I'm doubtful.