• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Was firing Eppler the right call?

Taylor

Eppler Pole  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Arte's decision to fire Eppler?

9 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

We kind of pointed that out. If you choose to draft the best available player then you must use that talent to fill the gaps in your lineup. He neglected that aspect of the process or Arte prevented him.

or you let it develop and wait like most successful teams have done.  using the farm to plug holes at the major league level is never an equal exchange.  it's exactly what Dipoto did which is why the farm ended up decimated.  

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

or you let it develop and wait like most successful teams have done.  using the farm to plug holes at the major league level is never an equal exchange.  it's exactly what Dipoto did which is why the farm ended up decimated.  

Ya, not arguing that. It just looks like this was his strategy. But either way, he did not bring in enough pitching and gambled he could sign free agents or the mediocre pitching that he did sign would be good enough. What we dont know is how much of a factor Arte was in this.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yes, we can find a venue and I'll wear a sombrero, lower beer prices, hire a coke head to juggle, stiff the staff and donate all proceeds to the Trump campaign.

Juat remember to nail the presentation... theres a fine line between Arte and Bernie from weekend at bernies

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

If you draft a couple pitchers instead of Adell, Adams or Jackson then they're still tooling around the minors as well.  It would have been very very unusual for any of Eppler's drafts to have players that would be helping the major league club right now.  

there was no excess talent.  

the main reason he got fired is because he spent poorly on free agents.  

Iffy. Hard to say about the pitching prospects. But I do believe the lack of success from the major league club can be directly attributed to poor performance in free agency.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

If you draft a couple pitchers instead of Adell, Adams or Jackson then they're still tooling around the minors as well.  It would have been very very unusual for any of Eppler's drafts to have players that would be helping the major league club right now.  

there was no excess talent.  

the main reason he got fired is because he spent poorly on free agents.  

How does one person guess wrong so often on the one year FA pitchers?   Eppler only understands hitting and fielding?

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think it had as much to do with location as it did with money.  What I have heard with Keuchel is we didn’t want to go to 3 years with him, which probably was a bad choice.  I mean in two years it will be a good choice, but this year it wasn’t.  

So rumors are facts now. What you’ve heard lol you mean what you’ve read just like everyone else. You can’t make this shit up. 

16 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Here is Eppler almost feeble record with signing one year FA starting pitchers.

Mediocre:  Chacin, Peters 

Really Bad: Nolasco, Cahill, Harvey, Stratton, Teheran 

I'm helping my father go through his old stuff, and either selling it, sending it to the dump, or putting it out front for others to take. He's made the joke that he doesn't like to bother people that stop look through the stuff because there's not much lower than sorting through someone else's trash.

These sorts of signings are sort of like that. No one wanted these pitchers, so why does Eppler think he'll come up with something magical? And don't forget the clean peanuts. How many of those turn out?

That said, Eppler has made some savvy moves: Bundy, Simmons, Mayers, Stassi, La Stella, Goodwin, and of course Ohtani. We can hope Berreto, but the jury is out. I think Sandoval will eventually look like a great deal.

We don't even need a GM next season.  Seriously, what do we need a GM for that will improve our chances next season?  Trading any position players hurts us next season, trading any of our starting pitchers doesn't make sense, our rotation is not the main issue.  We need like 1 'reliable' bullpen arm and hope the fireballers improve with time.  The team just needs to play better.  Fucking stupid I know.

8 minutes ago, Angel said:

We don't even need a GM next season.  Seriously, what do we need a GM for that will improve our chances next season?  Trading any position players hurts us next season, trading any of our starting pitchers doesn't make sense, our rotation is not the main issue.  We need like 1 'reliable' bullpen arm and hope the fireballers improve with time.  The team just needs to play better.  Fucking stupid I know.

The rotation is not the main issue??

16 hours ago, Kevinb said:

If Eppler was saddled with terrible contracts so was Jerry. Again I don’t care but Eppler was here for Albert and Hamilton just as Jerry had those two. Albert was a little better Hamilton was still garbage. I get it we look at things differently. Over a 5 year span what the Mariners have spent compared to what the Angels have spent in terms of payroll isn’t that close. In the span that Eppler had been the GM of the Angels he accumulated 332 wins. What Seattle has done under Dipoto is 348 wins. Even with Dipoto basically having a fire sale in there as well. I don’t think either are great GMs but Dipotos record is better. And if you want to throw his record with the same owner and team then it’d be even different. And to the 5 years isn’t enough time to show progress crowd, sure seems like Dipoto was given 5 years and he has a better record than Eppler. And even had a couple winning seasons in there. But whatever none of this matters neither are the GMs of the Angels anymore. 

Wait a second:

Wasn't it Dipshito who signed Pujols?  Wasn't him who signed Hamilton?

Eppler was stuck Pujols because of Dipshito!

Can you mame the so called bad contracts Dipshito inherited?  Wells?  Wells didnt stop Dipshito from signing Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton.  Pujols and Hamilton did prevent Eppler from signing FA until Rendon.

8 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Wait a second:

Can you mame the so called bad contracts Dipshito inherited?  Wells?  Wells didnt stop Dipshito from signing Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton.  Pujols and Hamilton did prevent Eppler from signing FA until Rendon.

Arte signed Hamilton and Pujols just like Arte signed Trout and Rendon. 

37 minutes ago, stormngt said:

So says the rumor!

The only fact I know is that Dipshito was the GM when we signed Hamilton and Pujols.   Hamilton and Pujols is 9n Dipshitos record !

And Reagins was the GM when Wells was traded for but people blame Arte for that too. Also read what you write before you write it I don’t know what 9n or mame means. 

12 hours ago, Kevinb said:

So rumors are facts now. What you’ve heard lol you mean what you’ve read just like everyone else. You can’t make this shit up. 

For starters I never called it a fact, I said what I heard.  Two, I’m not the one that called you out for considering rumors to be fact.  Quote someone else when you want to be an ignorant toolb. 

9 hours ago, stormngt said:

Wait a second:

Dipoto signed both Albert and Hamilton.  

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

Position prospects for sure. Between Rengifo, Thaiss, Ward, Walsh, Adell, Marsh, Adams and Jackson, depending on the target, they could've afforded to flip at least a couple of them. And they each have some value. 

Ward and Walsh had zero trade value.  Hell they might still have little to no value.  Marsh had value, but why trade Adams and Jackson when they aren’t near peak value?

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ward and Walsh had zero trade value.  Hell they might still have little to no value.  Marsh had value, but why trade Adams and Jackson when they aren’t near peak value?

I think you're misunderstanding what's going on. The question paraphrased was, "what surplus do we have that has value?" That's the answer, simply identifying the surplus with value. I haven't read the responses but I'm not sure anyone has outright said they should've been traded.

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think you're misunderstanding what's going on. The question paraphrased was, "what surplus do we have that has value?" That's the answer, simply identifying the surplus with value. I haven't read the responses but I'm not sure anyone has outright said they should've been traded.

Sorry I read it as Eppler’s issue was not trading from the surplus.   I don’t believe we have had surplus, outside of Rengifo/Fletcher, that had any value.