• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Was firing Eppler the right call?

Taylor

Eppler Pole  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Arte's decision to fire Eppler?

On 10/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, Blarg said:

Eppler was like an interim manager after a season goes to shit. He's there to pick up the pieces, smooth things over, get the team back on track. Regardless of record, whether posting wins or losses, he was going to be replaced and everyone moves on. His only hope was like the managerial purge after the 1999 season he would be kept on, like Maddon, in another capacity.

I think the Angels may have made a mistake in not pursuing that instead of firing him outright. 

So do I. I believe that Eppler got far too little credit for rebuilding the farm system, which was horrible when he arrived. Simultaneously rebuilding the big club with that many holes and budget constraints wasn't going to happen, regardless of who the GM was. I fear that they will bring in a "win now" guy who will dump a lot of the young talent that Eppler assembled and in 3-4 years we will be right back in the same fix that we were before he got here.