• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani riding pine ?

UndertheHalo

I think with Walsh hitting like he has, and Thaiss' development, and Albert's swan song coming up next season, Ohtani is probably going to be relegated to power bat off the bench or platoon duty at DH.

I mean when I think about it, they really don't need his bat. It's nice to have if everything is working right, but all they really need from Shohei is to be an ace again.

I'd rather have Shohei the ace starter than Shohei the MOTO DH. If he can do both great.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think with Walsh hitting like he has, and Thaiss' development, and Albert's swan song coming up next season, Ohtani is probably going to be relegated to power bat off the bench or platoon duty at DH.

I mean when I think about it, they really don't need his bat. It's nice to have if everything is working right, but all they really need from Shohei is to be an ace again.

I'd rather have Shohei the ace starter than Shohei the MOTO DH. If he can do both great.

I guess the question needs to be asked.

Has there ever been a MLB pitcher who only pitched 80 innings over 4 years, and then succeeded?

Either make him a regular 1B, or make him a closer/part-time player.

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Has there ever been a MLB pitcher who only pitched 80 innings over 4 years, and then succeeded?

It has nothing to do with whether or not Ohtani will succeed. 

There is no downside to letting him try.

There are no guarantees in life. Expecting the worst is a crappy point of view, IMO.

This rush to put Ohtani in some sort of box is funny.

29 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

and...have you ever seen a MLB hitter step in the bucket like Ohtani.  Something mental is going on.

15 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It has nothing to do with whether or not Ohtani will succeed. 

There is no downside to letting him try.

There are no guarantees in life. Expecting the worst is a crappy point of view, IMO.

This rush to put Ohtani in some sort of box is funny.

I can only say that Walsh at least has given hope to solving the 1B problem.

That leaves DH/starting pitching or closing/part-time playing.

I agree with @Second Base.  Ohtani's had a really poor year, but he still oozes potential.  They just need him to work with our player development team in the offseason and work on his issues.

That said, maybe being a two-way player truly is too much for him.  If that truly is the case, then have him focus solely on pitching.  He's a fine DH when he's right, but his value is much greater as an ace pitcher.

With Walsh's emergence, and with Marsh and Adell on the horizon, we potentially have the OF and 1B covered, which means the only position for Ohtani anyway is DH.  It is much easier to find a DH than it is a #1-#2 SP.  So, I would say, just have him focus on pitching this offseason.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:22 PM, Vladdylonglegs said:

Seeing him jump out of the way of pitches right down the middle is what did it for me. I don’t think you can be fixed when you’re that far gone. 

His walk up song should be the Hokey Pokey. 

You put your right foot in, you take your left foot out....

83968874-A550-4CBD-A1D3-A8D8E80EAB15.jpeg

D7366E9F-847A-4D20-8E9D-2EA56D2193DB.jpeg

5C9AC7C2-826F-4E5B-865A-0403F5CB32FA.jpeg

Edited by RendZone

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2020 at 5:15 PM, failos said:

It was fun watching him play when he won RoY. I’m over him now. Just a glass ballerina with an awkward swing, unfortunately.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, AngelsFaninGA said:

He's getting phased out. At least Walsh has softened the blow. 

On 9/16/2020 at 7:37 PM, Angel Oracle said:

I agree