• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols #5

Claude

Nope, there were no memorable moments, no memorable seasons when Pujols played for the Angels.  Milestones don't count as 'moments as an Angel' because most of those number gains were with the Cardinals.  He also rarely hit any walk-off homers for us, wait does he have any?

He's irredeemable at this point.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I wasn't really a big Angels fan before 1985 so forgive me if I don't understand why Carew is considered to be a great Angel.

He was a great Twin.

This is kind of where I am as well. Whenever Carew is pictured, it's most often in his powder blue Twins uniform. That's how he's remembered. That being said, he spent seven seasons with the Halos, and put up really good numbers here, just not as amazing as his MIN numbers, which should tell you just how great he was with the Twins. He was an absolute hitting machine. I can see the retirement with both teams based on the numbers. He was an important part of some great Angels teams

Carew can't hold a candle to other Angels in terms of WAR or other contributions.

According to this: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ANA/

Carew doesn't even make the top 24 all-time great Angels.

Same with Vlad. Sure we love him but there are lots of Angels who did more while they were here. Retire those guys jerseys first.

Chuck Finley, Tim Salmon, Brian Downing, those are the great Angels.

Someday Trout, of course.

Pujols? Not even in the conversation.

6 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

Sure, why not. When you retire #50 for Jimmie "Fungo" Reese it's a pretty low bar.

I met him once at an Angels game. He took some time and talked to my dad and me before the game. I remember being just wowed that anyone wearing that uniform would stop and talk to us. Afterward, my dad would describe him just as you did, and talk about how he played fungo with the players. Great moment, really grounded dude, but worthy of number retirement? I'm not so sure. Number retirement kind of becomes a slippery slope with some orgs, so I tend to set a high bar for that. The Gene Autry one never resonated with me because, to me, number retirements are for on-field accomplishments. There MANY other ways to pay tribute the The Cowboy. The Reese one always seemed a bit much as well.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess this would be chapter 1 of how not to be a moderator.

Yeah, I think there is actually an interesting discussion to be had on this topic, regardless of where it came from. From last night's festivities in honor of Clemente there has been a movement to retire his number league-wide, similar to Jackie. I don't agree, which takes nothing away from the amazing player, and even better human being, that Roberto Clemente was. I think Jackie Robinson was worthy of that honor, but that's where it should stop.

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They’ll retire his number. 

maybe they will, but it will be pretty embarrassing when they do. he's done nothing to deserve that honor, other than playing a very shitty 10 years with the angels.

the cardinals should retire his number almost immediately, and it will be a well deserved honor.

he's not an angel, he's a cardinal. he earned one and didn't earn the other.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah said:

I always think of Brian Downing as Number 5 for the Angels.

I like this argument if #5 is retired. Downing was a solid local player from Cypress with a 126 ops+ as an Angel. (Albert 109 ops+)

Edited by RendZone

14 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

This is kind of where I am as well. Whenever Carew is pictured, it's most often in his powder blue Twins uniform. That's how he's remembered. That being said, he spent seven seasons with the Halos, and put up really good numbers here, just not as amazing as his MIN numbers, which should tell you just how great he was with the Twins. He was an absolute hitting machine. I can see the retirement with both teams based on the numbers. He was an important part of some great Angels teams

Carew was a member of the first two AL Championships.  In addition Carew OPS+ was above 120+ in 5 of his seven years and below 100 his last year. Albert was 120+ OPS+  only once.  And he is below 100 the last 5 years.

Finally at Carew's era the Angel's didn't have too many players to celebrate.

Edited by stormngt

I can see how Carew and Vlad Guerrero are in the same category.

If Carew's jersey is up there, so should be Vlad's.

By applying some of the same criteria you can make an argument that Pujols is also in that category.

But I still feel that there are others who are more deserving of recognition.

12 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Sure, why not. When you retire #50 for Jimmie "Fungo" Reese it's a pretty low bar.

gary coleman wtf GIF

From my limited knowledge, Jimmy Reese was revered by everyone who had the opportunity to be around him because of his baseball knowledge,  He was absolutely amazing with a fungo....I remember being mesmerized by his bat control.  I also remember opposing players and coaches always interacting him before games.  His number should be retired....without question.

12 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

Yeah, I think there is actually an interesting discussion to be had on this topic, regardless of where it came from. From last night's festivities in honor of Clemente there has been a movement to retire his number league-wide, similar to Jackie. I don't agree, which takes nothing away from the amazing player, and even better human being, that Roberto Clemente was. I think Jackie Robinson was worthy of that honor, but that's where it should stop.

Do you anything about Clemente other than his stats?

12 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

I met him once at an Angels game. He took some time and talked to my dad and me before the game. I remember being just wowed that anyone wearing that uniform would stop and talk to us. Afterward, my dad would describe him just as you did, and talk about how he played fungo with the players. Great moment, really grounded dude, but worthy of number retirement? I'm not so sure. Number retirement kind of becomes a slippery slope with some orgs, so I tend to set a high bar for that. The Gene Autry one never resonated with me because, to me, number retirements are for on-field accomplishments. There MANY other ways to pay tribute the The Cowboy. The Reese one always seemed a bit much as well.

Do you know why Autry had #26 retired?  Did you watch the Angels during the time he was the owner?