• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 49.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Blarg

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

There are a lot of self-proclaimed evangelicals who harbor racist, xenophobic, and homophobic beliefs. And it makes me very sad that 81% of evangelicals voted for Trump in 2016.

But that doesn't define every person who identifies as evangelical.

And not everyone who is a Christian is considered an evangelical.

Question : are all “born again” Christians evangelicals ? I get confused about this.  I know some Lutherans are evangelicals for example but not all.  Could there be people who believe themselves to be born again Christians but belong to some specific denomination that wouldn’t fall under the evangelical umbrella ? My understanding is that born again folks are evangelicals. 

32 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Question : are all “born again” Christians evangelicals ? I get confused about this.  I know some Lutherans are evangelicals for example but not all.  Could there be people who believe themselves to be born again Christians but belong to some specific denomination that wouldn’t fall under the evangelical umbrella ? My understanding is that born again folks are evangelicals. 

It’s a groupthink identifying term. 

Any Christian who believes the Church should evangelize to non-believers is an evangelical.

Most of us are conservative Republicans. That’s true. But not all. I’d imagine that the hardcore maga types are people who mainly treat their faith/religion as part of some pseudo-patriotic identifier

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Seventh day Adventist’s believe in being born again but we do not consider ourselves evangelicals. 

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Evangelical is simply an umbrella term that refers to all Protestant denominations that aren't considered mainline. Mainline denominations include Presbyterian, Episcopal, Lutheran, Anglican, and others that have more traditonal-Catholic roots.

When it comes to their beliefs, evangelicals traditionally emphasize a conversion experience that leads to a personal relationship with God, as well as the inerrancy of Scripture (the idea that the Bible is the authoritative Word of God and contains no errors), the movement of the Holy Spirit, and a few other things. Christians who attend mainline churches might also believe some of these things, but typically mainline churches have more of an emphasis on communal traditions and are more theologically progressive.

The phrase "born again" comes from the Gospel of John, when Jesus is talking to the Jewish leader Nicodemus.

There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. “Rabbi,” he said, “we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.” Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.” “What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?” Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life."

John 3:1‭-‬6

Calling oneself a "born-again Christian" was more popular a few decades ago, but like MT said, it's a redundant phrase. The word "Christian" already implies that you have chosen to become a follower of Jesus, and therefore have been "born again" by accepting a new life as a follower of Jesus.

In popular culture, "evangelical" has become linked to right-wing politics because of the ridiculous "culture war" nonsense that was initiated by certain evangelical pastors in the 70s. Since then, many Christians and non-Christians alike have used evangelical as an umbrella term to refer to self-proclaiming Christians who vote Republican.

1 hour ago, calscuf said:

Cmon, you dudes don’t really believe there is a magic man who lives in the sky who knocked up a virgin to make another magic man who died just so you could get wasted and shit and then just apologize?

Do you realize how insane that sounds?

That does sound insane. Just like any other strawman argument.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Evangelical is simply an umbrella term that refers to all Protestant denominations that aren't considered mainline. Mainline denominations include Presbyterian, Episcopal, Lutheran, Anglican, and others that have more traditional-Catholic roots.

When it comes to their beliefs, evangelicals traditionally emphasize a conversion experience that leads to a personal relationship with God, as well as the inerrancy of Scripture (the idea that the Bible is the authoritative Word of God and contains no errors), the movement of the Holy Spirit, and a few other things. Christians who attend mainline churches might also believe some of these things, but typically mainline churches have more of an emphasis on communal traditions and are more theologically progressive.

The phrase "born again" comes from the Gospel of John, when Jesus is talking to the Jewish leader Nicodemus.

Calling oneself a "born-again Christian" was more popular a few decades ago, but like MT said, it's a redundant phrase. The word "Christian" already implies that you have chosen to become a follower of Jesus, and therefore have been "born again" by accepting a new life as a follower of Jesus.

In popular culture, "evangelical" has become linked to right-wing politics because of the ridiculous "culture war" nonsense that was initiated by certain evangelical pastors in the 70s. Since then, many Christians and non-Christians alike have used evangelical as an umbrella term to refer to self-proclaiming Christians who vote Republican.

this is the main reason Adventists don't consider themselves evangelicals. we are not a political or activist group, though the basic tenets of fundamentalism are things we hold dear.

1 hour ago, calscuf said:

Cmon, you dudes don’t really believe there is a magic man who lives in the sky who knocked up a virgin to make another magic man who died just so you could get wasted and shit and then just apologize?

Do you realize how insane that sounds?

it probably sounds as bizarre to non-believers as the idea of life coming from a series of cosmic impossibilities sounds to a christian.

i was raised in an adventist christian home, and i was a believer. but i had an experience that confirmed my belief in an interesting way when i was in college. our school had a cadaver that the nursing class students would use for anatomy lessons. the administration decided to get a newer cadaver, and for some reason, i was invited to help prepare his body for viewing. it was my task to separate muscle groups and remove fat from them. while doing this, i was able to look inside his abdominal area and see how everything was perfectly placed and fit in the space given, and how everything that our bodies need is there. it's one thing to see photos or illustrations, but it's quite another experience to see the different colors and textures of the different organs, to see how a heart is different from a kidney, which is different from a nerve, which is different from a set of teeth, which is different from muscles, etc. To believe that those things came about on their own without any kind of supernatural, divine plan and process seems far-fetched to me to in the highest degree possible.

Seeing all of that was confirming to me that God is our creator as outlined in the bible. That also strengthens my belief that if that part is true, and if the historical parts are true, then the story of Jesus as our savior and His arrival on this planet to save us from sin and the work of satan is not difficult at all for me to accept. It gives me hope as well that there is a life for each of us beyond this life we have now as discussed in scripture.

9 min ago

Trump tweeted 54 times before noon today

From CNN's Allie Malloy 

President Trump just sent his 54th tweet of the day. The large majority of the tweets and retweets today are on impeachment and criticizing Democrats.

Here's the 11:56 a.m. ET tweet:

The Do Nothing Democrats just keep repeating and repeating, over and over again, the same old “stuff” on the Impeachment Hoax. They want to use up ALL of their time, even though it is the wrong thing to do. They ought to go back to work for our great American people!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 24, 2020

In his latest Trump writes, “ The Do Nothing Democrats just keep repeating and repeating, over and over again, the same old “stuff” on the Impeachment Hoax. They want to use up ALL of their time, even though it is the wrong thing to do. They ought to go back to work for our great American people!”

21 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

The Do Nothing Democrats just keep repeating and repeating, over and over again, the same old “stuff” on the Impeachment Hoax. They want to use up ALL of their time, even though it is the wrong thing to do. They ought to go back to work for our great American people!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 24, 2020

Says the dude who's tweeting 54 times in a day.

'Take her out': Recording appears to capture Trump at private dinner saying he wants Ukraine ambassador fired | KSTP.com
https://kstp.com/news/take-her-out-recording-appears-to-capture-president-donald-trump-private-dinner-firing-ukraine-ambassador-/5622085/

And proof Parnas wasn't lying about the dinner with Trump.

Here is what Nate is referring to, minus the religious bigotry:

Pentagon: 34 US troops diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries from Iranian missile strike Jan. 8 on Iraqi air base - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-34-us-troops-diagnosed-with-traumatic-brain-injuries-from-iranian-missile-strike-jan-8-on-iraqi-air-base/2020/01/24/572372d2-3ecf-11ea-afe2-090eb37b60b1_story.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/24/march-for-life-washington-anti-abortion-activists-president-trump/4551608002/

WASHINGTON — In a pivotal year in the legal battle over abortion, tens of thousands of anti-abortion activists gathered in Washington, D.C., on Friday for the annual March for Life that featured President Donald Trump as the first sitting president to appear in person at the event in its 47-year history.

Calling it a “profound honor" to be the first president to attend, he said that "unborn children have never had a stronger defender in the White House," citing his own actions.

Trump, who was pro-choice as recently as 2013, is the most pro-life president of all time!

14 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Identity politics is not just reserved for the left. Evangelicals that vote Dem is like a black dude voting Republican. As a Christian I do know that God doesn't care what political party you affiliate with 

44 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Here is what Nate is referring to, minus the religious bigotry:

Pentagon: 34 US troops diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries from Iranian missile strike Jan. 8 on Iraqi air base - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-34-us-troops-diagnosed-with-traumatic-brain-injuries-from-iranian-missile-strike-jan-8-on-iraqi-air-base/2020/01/24/572372d2-3ecf-11ea-afe2-090eb37b60b1_story.html

The long term fallout from a TBI can be awful. i hope they are OK and do not have too many issues as a result 

Whether there is a higher power or not, I'm not sure. If you happen to believe in one without accepting the Bible, that works too. To be honest I don't find much comforting things in the OT (I know some here can explain the purpose behind the OT better than I can but I'll never wrap my head around Numbers Chapter 31, it pretty much makes me think it is all man made bs where people used God as an excuse to do terrible things). 

Be a good person and treat others how you want to be treated. Serve and help others and if religion helps motivate you, that's great!

2 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

'Take her out': Recording appears to capture Trump at private dinner saying he wants Ukraine ambassador fired | KSTP.com
https://kstp.com/news/take-her-out-recording-appears-to-capture-president-donald-trump-private-dinner-firing-ukraine-ambassador-/5622085/

And proof Parnas wasn't lying about the dinner with Trump.

Parnas is not a government official.  He has no power to execute an order to fire an ambassador.  This was a hit job.