• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 49.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Blarg

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

Evangelical is simply an umbrella term that refers to all Protestant denominations that aren't considered mainline. Mainline denominations include Presbyterian, Episcopal, Lutheran, Anglican, and others that have more traditonal-Catholic roots.

When it comes to their beliefs, evangelicals traditionally emphasize a conversion experience that leads to a personal relationship with God, as well as the inerrancy of Scripture (the idea that the Bible is the authoritative Word of God and contains no errors), the movement of the Holy Spirit, and a few other things. Christians who attend mainline churches might also believe some of these things, but typically mainline churches have more of an emphasis on communal traditions and are more theologically progressive.

The phrase "born again" comes from the Gospel of John, when Jesus is talking to the Jewish leader Nicodemus.

Calling oneself a "born-again Christian" was more popular a few decades ago, but like MT said, it's a redundant phrase. The word "Christian" already implies that you have chosen to become a follower of Jesus, and therefore have been "born again" by accepting a new life as a follower of Jesus.

In popular culture, "evangelical" has become linked to right-wing politics because of the ridiculous "culture war" nonsense that was initiated by certain evangelical pastors in the 70s. Since then, many Christians and non-Christians alike have used evangelical as an umbrella term to refer to self-proclaiming Christians who vote Republican.

Thanks.  Based on the responses I’m seeing here it’s a fairly loose term. 

I was raised catholic and spent a lot of time around the church growing up.  So I’m pretty familiar with Christian tenets and specifically catholic theology.  I didn’t have any bad experiences.  In fact I can’t really say anything negative in particular.  As I grew up a lot of stuff about religion in general didn’t make sense to me and eventually in my early 20’s I just decided I wasn’t going to pretend to be a Catholic or a Christian anymore.  I don’t have any answers and I respect that other people don’t see it the way I do.  Anyway, I think you hit a pretty accurate point that for some people they’ve conflated their religion with political identity.  Christianity certainly doesn’t dictate that one hold conservative political outlook. 

More on Trump's callous dismissal of the soldiers' traumatic brain injuries:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/world/middleeast/iran-iraq-troops-brain-injuries.html

Mr. Trump on Wednesday dismissed concussion symptoms felt by the troops as “not very serious,” even as the Pentagon acknowledged that a number of American service members were being studied for possible traumatic brain injury caused by the attack.

“I heard they had headaches,” Mr. Trump told a news conference in Davos, Switzerland. “I don’t consider them very serious injuries relative to other injuries I have seen.”

13 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I was raised catholic and spent a lot of time around the church growing up.  So I’m pretty familiar with Christian tenets and specifically catholic theology.  I didn’t have any bad experiences.  In fact I can’t really say anything negative in particular.  As I grew up a lot of stuff about religion in general didn’t make sense to me and eventually in my early 20’s I just decided I wasn’t going to pretend to be a Catholic or a Christian anymore.  

This is pretty much exactly my life as well. 

Just now, Taylor said:

I had a buddy in college who grew up Catholic. He would say, "Like any good Catholic high schooler, I was agnostic."

My family was pretty involved in the Catholic church. My dad even taught a couple of my CCD classes. Two of of his three sons are now atheist.