• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you take a chance?

Claude

15 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

He may have been given offers.  My guess is he wants a multi-year offer and has only been given single year ones.

So, if he's going to have to settle and prove he's not the time-bomb that many think he is, he may have to take less and find a place where he can just stay quiet and put up numbers.    He's not someone you bid against yourself for.   Dude's past behavior is biting him in the ass right now

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, if he's going to have to settle and prove he's not the time-bomb that many think he is, he may have to take less and find a place where he can just stay quiet and put up numbers.    He's not someone you bid against yourself for.   Dude's past behavior is biting him in the ass right now

Agreed.  Heck, the Angels could offer him one year, five million with performance incentives.  It gives him a year to turn everything around for a big contract in 2021.

20 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I'll say this...if we sign Puig to something like 1/$6-$8 mil, I think we are done looking for a major upgrade to the rotation for the immediate future and will keep our options open.  I think the reason "Angels pursuing Puig" isn't in the rumors is that we still trying to work out a trade for someone that would likely bring us close to the payroll limit.

For sure.  And for the record, I'd prefer the Angels getting an upgrade for the rotation over signing Puig.  An upgrade with the rotation would ease having Goodwin as the starter in RF.

31 minutes ago, RBM said:

So you want to sign Puig, a player who is below league average and of questionable character because you fear that your perfectly healthy and above league average LF'er maybe/who knows/might get injured  sometime in 2020? 

No.  
As i said I would sign Puig, at the right price (below 5M) to buy time for Adell and provide insurance against injuries.  If none happen hes trade bait at the deadline.
If your going to spot check every sentence i write please take the time to actually read them. 

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I'll say this...if we sign Puig to something like 1/$6-$8 mil, I think we are done looking for a major upgrade to the rotation for the immediate future and will keep our options open.  I think the reason "Angels pursuing Puig" isn't in the rumors is that we still trying to work out a trade for someone that would likely bring us close to the payroll limit.

Just IMO.  But I think the Angels are done for SPers this offseason.  There are no FA pitchers worth pursuing.  Right now, with a bit over 2 weeks before pitchers and catchers report, every team is in first place.  No matter how bad a team is, their GM's want to see if their formula will work this season.  Unless other GM's are going to get blown away with an offer, they and their fans are going to go on hope that their team is good enough.  I think this is the route Eppler is going to, and has to take.  They are going to go into the season with the team and see where Heaney, Canning, Barria, Suarez, and Peters stand, and not make any more trades, because right now the price is just too high.  Come June or July, the Angels will know where they stand, and if they are good enough to make a run.  And other teams will know they are out of it, and starting pitchers will become more reasonably available again.  

5 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Just IMO.  But I think the Angels are done for SPers this offseason.  There are no FA pitchers worth pursuing.  Right now, with a bit over 2 weeks before pitchers and catchers report, every team is in first place.  No matter how bad a team is, their GM's want to see if their formula will work this season.  Unless other GM's are going to get blown away with an offer, they and their fans are going to go on hope that their team is good enough.  I think this is the route Eppler is going to, and has to take.  They are going to go into the season with the team and see where Heaney, Canning, Barria, Suarez, and Peters stand, and not make any more trades, because right now the price is just too high.  Come June or July, the Angels will know where they stand, and if they are good enough to make a run.  And other teams will know they are out of it, and starting pitchers will become more reasonably available again.  

I don’t think they’re done, per se. I think they’re waiting for prices to come down and I think they are willing to stand pat with what they have going into the season. If the price drops on one of their targets to a level they’re comfortable with, I think they absolutely pull the trigger. I think at some point this season, they will probably acquire an impact arm (mid rotation level) unless the team is just a disaster. 

Of the 15 OFers that had 600 PA or more, Puig ranked 15 out of 15 in WAR.  

decrease that to 500 PA and he's 29th of 35.  

You want more than one year?  

over the past 5 years for OFers with more than 2000 PA, Puig ranks 32nd of 46 players in WAR.  

he's been living off his 'potential' for 5 years.  at what point does what he's done become a bigger factor than what he could do.  

and on top of him not being very good, he's an ultra douche and generally a bad human being.  not just kind of a dick but truly a borderline psycho.  

this guy is the plague and everyone knows it.  Even if he signs a pillow contract this year and kills it, then kudos to someone else.  

Personally, I'll take a pass all day every day on bad protoplasm.  

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

+1

It seems like a .796 OPS is caca doo doo to some?

His defense isn’t THAT bad either.

The perfect two months solution until Adell is ready, and then a decent enough 4th OF

Yeah, if the Angels only had a decent guy to fill in the gap for a couple months until Adell arrives. . .

On 1/28/2020 at 10:44 PM, Dochalo said:

I think there's a reason he's still available and it's mostly because the clubhouse stuff isn't bullshit.  

plus, he's just not that good.  1.7 WAR avg over the last 5 years.  

Puig is more name than player. Firecracker. Shot up in the sky, and exploded.

He hit the scene and had a phenom first two weeks....then a really good month or two... then good ones.... then average.

But there was so much hype from the media of his hot start, plus playing as a fan fave for a resurgent dodger team, that everyone overrated him.

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Of the 15 OFers that had 600 PA or more, Puig ranked 15 out of 15 in WAR.  

decrease that to 500 PA and he's 29th of 35.  

You want more than one year?  

over the past 5 years for OFers with more than 2000 PA, Puig ranks 32nd of 46 players in WAR.  

he's been living off his 'potential' for 5 years.  at what point does what he's done become a bigger factor than what he could do.  

and on top of him not being very good, he's an ultra douche and generally a bad human being.  not just kind of a dick but truly a borderline psycho.  

this guy is the plague and everyone knows it.  Even if he signs a pillow contract this year and kills it, then kudos to someone else.  

Personally, I'll take a pass all day every day on bad protoplasm.  

Puig always reminded me of Bo Jackson. Ton of hype, phenom athlete.... but when you analyze the numbers, not near as good as you "remember"

24 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Puig always reminded me of Bo Jackson. Ton of hype, phenom athlete.... but when you analyze the numbers, not near as good as you "remember"

Bo's hype had to do with the fact that he played in both the NFL and MLB.  In baseball him running up the wall, gunning down Reynolds at home plate and his long home runs are what a lot of people remember him for.  He was far and away a better football player and his career ended on a freak injury that was likely in part due to how athletic he was.  I'm just not really seeing the comparison because you could have easily compared Puig to a thousand other baseball players who were athletically gifted but never consistently put it together.