• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you take a chance?

Claude

I like Puig at 1 year 8 million and I think he’s a real nice upside get.  I think the clubhouse stuff is mostly bullshit and am not concerned about that at all.  The issue here is that the Angels really don’t have a place for him.  So, I don’t see the point and wouldn’t go after him.  I wouldn’t be upset if they got him though. 

I actually think that Puig playing under Maddon and with Trout & Pujols mentoring him may turn out to be a steal at $8M. Arch made a good point that Puig could fetch us something good at the break if need be.

Edited by RendZone

15 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I like Puig at 1 year 8 million and I think he’s a real nice upside get.  I think the clubhouse stuff is mostly bullshit and am not concerned about that at all.  The issue here is that the Angels really don’t have a place for him.  So, I don’t see the point and wouldn’t go after him.  I wouldn’t be upset if they got him though. 

I think there's a reason he's still available and it's mostly because the clubhouse stuff isn't bullshit.  

plus, he's just not that good.  1.7 WAR avg over the last 5 years.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I think there's a reason he's still available and it's mostly because the clubhouse stuff isn't bullshit.  

plus, he's just not that good.  1.7 WAR avg over the last 5 years.  

I think the main thing is that he’s trying to get paid on his upside.  He probably won’t get it.  I really think the club house stuff is overblown.  

He's been on 3 teams in the last 2 years. None of those teams seem to want him back.  Is his reputation as a malcontent deserved?  Maybe.  It's no secret that he's had several questionable incidents in the past. 

If a team is questioning whether he would be a good addition,  that could very well be the determinating factor. 

4 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Puig>Melvin

This isn’t based on anything that happens on a baseball field. Unless you only count 2019.  In which case Goodwin is better than Puig. Rengifo had a higher WAR last year.  So no, Puig isn’t really better than Upton. 

For me, yes, ive suggested this on a couple occasions, but the reality is that It comes down to a couple of simple determining factors.

#1 do they think Goodwin is an actual everyday starter?  He never has been throughout his career.  Can he actually handle the load and still put up the numbers he does in a 4th role?  Im not sure i see him as such to be honest.

#2 How close to ready are the kids?  We all assume that one of them or both may be here by mid season, but of course their play will distate that.

Puig is a proven asset, a true right fielder who still has a strong arm... and while yes he has some issues i dont think he comes in with that big head looking over at Pujols and Trout, if anyone can make any players calm the hell down, its those 2.  He would come in with something to prove, knowing he likely has the first half to do it before the kids get the call.

He could come in with a giant chip on his shoulder (in a good way) and give a monster burst to jumpstart the club in the first half, then get dealt at the deadline to make way for the kids in the best case scenario.  If he doesnt, we stay the course. 

It isnt about being better than Upton, its about believing Upton will actually be out there everyday, does anyone think that right now?

All that having been said i would not do it for 8M, cut that in about half, give him the chance to reset his value and re-hit the open market, i would do that in 2 seconds.

Its simple really, if we cant get pitching upgrades, get what we can offensively and outscore people, we would certainly help in that regard.