• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you take a chance?

Claude

6 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Not actually that far outside the box - mlb.com had an article yesterday suggesting it.  

I agree, but i was referring more to the powers that be around here 🙂
I suggested exactly this about a month ago and got torched, but my view on it hasnt changed i just saw no reason to continue to post it and defend why i was even looking at something that couldnt pitch. 

At 1 year $8 million, Id say yes. 

Is Adell ready for the MLB, or will he need half a season or a full season at AAA?  Consider that Adell has played just 27 games at AAA and has a .676 OPS.  So i'd say at least half a season in AAA.  He will be 21.  You really don't need to rush him to the bigs and start his clock, especially to a team that has as many question marks as the Angels do in the upcoming season.

You also have Maddon as  coach, so you would really have to talk to him about whether he thinks he can get his potential.  Now a return to LA might be good for Puig.  And him being in the room with Pujols, Trout, and Rendon might make him see what being a professional is.  On the Doggies, he didn't have that kind of support system.  Plus it being a one year deal, as a prove it contract, might give him additional incentive to focus.  

Right now, as constructed, the hitters are really going to have to go bash brothers on the baseball to make up for the pitching.  If hitting the crap out of the ball make us in the run for the playoffs, then we could add a deadline arm, which would be easier to trade for an ace, then it is now.  If it doesn't make us a playoff contender, then 1 year $8 million is a easy contract to trade for prospects to a playoff contender.  And if he doesn't do shit, or Maddon can't control his antics, the salary is low enough that he can be waived to the minors where his career will Harvey, and it won't affect the team much.  But if he does go contract year on us, and hits about a .800+.  Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, Puig, Upton at the heart of the order, with Pujols and Fletcher/la Stella at the fringes would give us a lot of firepower to beat teams into submission.  

Edited by gotbeer

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Not actually that far outside the box - mlb.com had an article yesterday suggesting it.  

Don't be ridiculous -- it's TOTALLY "outside the box" to sign a RFer to play RF for better than league minimum money.   NOBODY has EVER done that.

The idea is downright revolutionary.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

At 1 year $8 million, Id say yes. 

Is Adell ready for the MLB, or will he need half a season or a full season at AAA?  Consider that Adell has played just 27 games at AAA and has a .676 OPS.  So i'd say at least half a season in AAA.  He will be 21.  You really don't need to rush him to the bigs and start his clock, especially to a team that has as many question marks as the Angels do in the upcoming season.

You also have Maddon as  coach, so you would really have to talk to him about whether he thinks he can get his potential.  Now a return to LA might be good for Puig.  And him being in the room with Pujols, Trout, and Rendon might make him see what being a professional is.  On the Doggies, he didn't have that kind of support system.  Plus it being a one year deal, as a prove it contract, might give him additional incentive to focus.  

Right now, as constructed, the hitters are really going to have to go bash brothers on the baseball to make up for the pitching.  If hitting the crap out of the ball make us in the run for the playoffs, then we could add a deadline arm, which would be easier to trade for an ace, then it is now.  If it doesn't make us a playoff contender, then 1 year $8 million is a easy contract to trade for prospects to a playoff contender.  And if he doesn't do shit, or Maddon can't control his antics, the salary is low enough that he can be waived to the minors where his career will Harvey, and it won't affect the team much.  But if he does go contract year on us, and hits about a .800+.  Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, Puig, Upton at the heart of the order, with Pujols and Fletcher/la Stella at the fringes would give us a lot of firepower to beat teams into submission.  

Excellent post.

2D2165CC-38DC-4AF9-9D2C-EA1A2E87F493.jpeg

Heck yes.  He'd provide great depth.  Expecting Upton to be back to normal,  Goodwin to repeat,  and Adell to slide right in sounds unlikely.  I'd expect at least of  those to have some hiccups.  Puig would remove that risk while bringing a possible higher ceiling and at 8 mil we can drop if his personality is too much.  

Goodwin is not a starter.  He is a perfect fourth outfielder, but shouldn't be the Angels opening day right fielder.

If the Angels feel Adell will need a few months in AAA, then they really should look for someone to improve RF.

At this suggested price, I would definitely sign Puig.

As for his clubhouse antics, Pujols is the perfect guy to help Puig with that.

15 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Why not? Guillen was a beast that year and didn't implode until the season was ending.  Personally I wish they could have fixed it for the playoffs.  

Not sure they could have fixed Guillen's shitty personality in the short time available before playoffs...that seems like something Guillen would actually have to want to do himself.  

4 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Not sure they could have fixed Guillen's shitty personality in the short time available before playoffs...that seems like something Guillen would actually have to want to do himself.  

Guillen had severe anger issues.  From everything I've read, Puig has immaturity issues.

Just now, VariousCrap said:

Guillen had severe anger issues.  From everything I've read, Puig has immaturity issues.

Six to one, half dozen to the other...

Could he work at that price?  Sure, he'd be a surer thing than Goodwin in terms of speed and offensive output, and he might even take it up a notch coming back to CA, but he's still a question mark in many aspects. At 1/$8 mil, the commitment is so little I wouldn't begrudge Eppler for taking a season flyer on him until we have a clearer picture on Adell/Marsh but, all things being equal, I'd rather they leave the available payroll space for SP/BP help.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Don't be ridiculous -- it's TOTALLY "outside the box" to sign a RFer to play RF for better than league minimum money.   NOBODY has EVER done that.

The idea is downright revolutionary.

You're right - wtf was *I* thinking ... 🙄   Really should give up putting bourbon on my Wheaties ...

... well, let's not get crazy, now ...

Might make a little sense if it's cheap enough where you can trade him, bench him, or just outright him the moment he looks cross-eyed at a peanut vendor, like 1/$4m.  

He could be an insurance policy if Upton and Goodwin aren't ready to play - and relieves the pressure for an early Adell call-up (if we're into service time manipulation - but of course, we're not, right?)

6 minutes ago, RBM said:

So, what do you do with Puig and his $8 M  to $12 M on April 1 or May 1 when Adell begins roaming the Angels OF for the 1st of his 7+ years?

Pretty sure everyone in favor of this has said not at 8M, let alone 12M.
But, if its in a more reasonable range, its a non issue.
The better question is do you think Upton will be healthy all year?  I dont.  I hope he is, but im not banking on that right now.
Edit:  Forgot to mention, if they truly think Adell will be ready by April, or even May, then you dont do it, but based on his time in AAA last year it would seem reasonable to assume more like summer.

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

So, what do you do with Puig and his $8 M  to $12 M on April 1 or May 1 when Adell begins roaming the Angels OF for the 1st of his 7+ years?

My entire basis for saying to sign him would be only if the Angels plan for Adell is to give him a few months in AAA no matter how good he does there.  If they feel there is a chance Adell can be this years opening day RF or that they only want to give him a month in AAA; then there is no need to sign Puig.

6 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Six to one, half dozen to the other...

Could he work at that price?  Sure, he'd be a surer thing than Goodwin in terms of speed and offensive output, and he might even take it up a notch coming back to CA, but he's still a question mark in many aspects. At 1/$8 mil, the commitment is so little I wouldn't begrudge Eppler for taking a season flyer on him until we have a clearer picture on Adell/Marsh but, all things being equal, I'd rather they leave the available payroll space for SP/BP help.

True, but what if they are done with SP/BP?  Signing Puig would definitely make the offense even more dangerous and if the Angels are out of it at the trade deadline, you trade him and get something nice in return.

Puig is a fuckup. He has been that person every place he has landed. He is this last decades Milton Bradley, talented but with a bug up his ass that won't stop biti g.

We have the top outfield prospect in baseball ready for his rookie season that will play right field at a higher skill level without causing a PR problem and for league minimum. 

Again, Puig is a fuck up. 

7 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

You're right - wtf was *I* thinking ... 🙄   Really should give up putting bourbon on my Wheaties ...

... well, let's not get crazy, now ...

Might make a little sense if it's cheap enough where you can trade him, bench him, or just outright him the moment he looks cross-eyed at a peanut vendor, like 1/$4m.  

He could be an insurance policy if Upton and Goodwin aren't ready to play - and relieves the pressure for an early Adell call-up (if we're into service time manipulation - but of course, we're not, right?)

Yep, it's not nutty if you can get him cheap.   But at 8 mil you're bidding against yourself and Puig needs a safe landing spot more than anyone needs him at this point.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Puig is a league minimum signing until someone offers him better than that.   Maybe he gets a one year pillow contract from someone banking on upside but it seems like most of MLB views him as toxic.  Performance wise, he should have been offered a deal by now.

He may have been given offers.  My guess is he wants a multi-year offer and has only been given single year ones.

6 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

True, but what if they are done with SP/BP?  Signing Puig would definitely make the offense even more dangerous and if the Angels are out of it at the trade deadline, you trade him and get something nice in return.

I'll say this...if we sign Puig to something like 1/$6-$8 mil, I think we are done looking for a major upgrade to the rotation for the immediate future and will keep our options open.  I think the reason "Angels pursuing Puig" isn't in the rumors is that we still trying to work out a trade for someone that would likely bring us close to the payroll limit.

Edited by mulwin444