• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I think it's Rendon + a couple arms or BUST

Chuck

There are too many similar threads on this forum... trying to decide which one to post in regarding Rendon...

I love everything about Rendon.  Obviously, he has a great glove and bat - but I also love the way he carries himself.  Even though I don't have any idea what the culture of the Angels' clubhouse is like, I believe he'd be a better fit than Donaldson.  Rendon is humble, he is a man of faith and  just seems like he'd be a perfect fit.  He has a reputation for being great in the community.  Again, I love everything about the guy and we all know he's very clutch in the postseason.

The Angels need pitching in the worst possible way.  That being said, I would love to see Rendon in Anaheim.  He'd instantly become one of my favorite players of all time.

Edited by True Grich

50 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Is there enough money to get Ryu, take on Darvish's contact AND get Rendon? Because if there was, chances are Gerrit Cole would be an Angel.

That makes no sense. The difference between the 9 year 324 million and 8 years presumably 288-292 million was the extra year. And the lure of playing in New York.

They had 150 committed to luxury tax and 147 committed to actual payroll yesterday before the trade of Cozart & Wilson...They dropped out $13M roughly, so it's now $137 LT, and $134 actual payroll. They usually budget between $165-180 actual and $175-$185 LT payroll.

I think they will spend between 60 and 75 M more, this year in real payroll dollars.

SO... they've got enough to offer Rendon a contract at $35, get Bumgarner or Ryu at $20, and take on Darvish's $20 if they get creative.

Get Rendon.  Love that guy.  

Talent is talent and wins are wins.  

Ace level pitchers are great and I'd love to have one but their biggest impact relative to a similar valued position player is in the playoffs.  Whereas the position player probably has a larger impact over the course of the regular season.  

There aren't any ace level pitchers available.  There is an elite bat available.  Go get him.  If both were options then I would say to go after the pitcher first based on our needs.  But I'd much rather have another elite everyday player over a couple of expensive 2nd tier pitchers.  

Spending 100m on a guy like Bumgarner doesn't make you that much better than spending 30m on Gibson or 20m on Pineda.  

they are where they are right now.  

I've always hate it when we trot out low power guys like Callaspo at 3B.....so the prospect of getting a monster like Rendon is pretty exciting to me.   I picture it and it makes me smile.  And I'd feel much safer giving a seven year contract to a 29 y.o. 3B  than I would a nine year contract to a 29 y.o. pitcher.

But..  As much as I would like to see Rendon at 3B,  I'd be against signing him if it interferes with building a solid rotation and bringing in 2 quality catchers.

If the rest of the off season consisted of:

Signing Anthony Rendon to 8 / 260 with an Opt Out after 4 years. First two years he makes 25, then jumps to 35 per season. (32.5 AAV)

Signing Madison Bumgarner to 5/119 including an 10 M buyout in year 6. First two years he makes 17, then jumps to 25. (22 AAV)

Trading Jam Jones, D'Shawn Knowles/Jordyn Adams, Jose Suarez/Jaime Barria, and Luis Rengifo to the Cubs for Willson Contreras, Yu Darvish and $10M ($5M [payable in each in 2020 and 21)...Adds roughly $22M in real payroll in 2020.

Would you consider it a successful off season?

Lineup:

Fletcher 2B

Rendon 3B

Trout CF

Ohtani DH

Upton LF

Contreras C

Adell/Goodwin RF

LaStella/Pujols 1B

Simmons SS

Rotation:

Bumgarner

Darvish

Ohtani

Bundy

Heaney

Canning

Too much hinging on the offense to be one of the top in the AL. Upton and Simmons bouncing back, La Stella repeating anything close to what he did before his injury, Goodwin replacing Kole, our black hole at catcher for the time being, Pujols' regression, not having Ohtani in the lineup due to pitching and much more. There is absolutely no reason why we should not be happy giving Rendon the money he deserves.

Edited by rafibomb

Use most of that Cole money on Rendon. He turned down 7/210 so offer more than that. 6/210? 7/220? 7/230-250?  Any rumors about how much he wants or what it would take? 8 years? Just not mess around and offer 8/275?? It seems like many if these FA don't really want to play on the west coast for some reason and Texas has no state income tax so you'll have to blow away their offer.