• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols

Glen

One thing I think we ALL can agree on, is that he needs to play no more than 80-90 games next season, and then no more than 50-60 games in his last active season.

I can't remember the last time that ANY team had a 40+ year-old power-hitter playing more than a handful of games at a position on the field. 

I'm shocked that he's gotten through this season so far, already having 320+ PAs as a 1B, with a .796 OPS in those at bats to boot. 

5 minutes ago, jgimondo said:

Most people wish he would retire, this post was about he still goes out there and gives his all to win. You should respect that.

I play in a co-ed church league on sundays in the summer.  Ages from 13-70.  A teammate of mine this year was having, well, a Pujols-type year.  Nothing going well.  Way too many ground balls.  He was hustling down the line at every ground ball, usually still getting thrown out by a step.  Dude is in his 50s. 

Not for one second did any of us think it was something remarkable, or out of the ordinary, to play hard.  Yet the ball-washing you guys do for Pujols, who gets paid $25 million a year to do this, is astounding.

5 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I play in a co-ed church league on sundays in the summer.  Ages from 13-70.  A teammate of mine this year was having, well, a Pujols-type year.  Nothing going well.  Way too many ground balls.  He was hustling down the line at every ground ball, usually still getting thrown out by a step.  Dude is in his 50s. 

Not for one second did any of us think it was something remarkable, or out of the ordinary, to play hard.  Yet the ball-washing you guys do for Pujols, who gets paid $25 million a year to do this, is astounding.

What’s even funnier is that he really doesn’t care much about interacting with the fans. He would much rather avoid them. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

If he retired (collecting the $59 million due him) after the season, it would benefit the org budget wise because Arte could then spread out that remaining money over his personal services contract period.

He could say that he went out having a solid OPS (currently .796) as a 1B in 2019.

No, he couldn't. That would require the players Union and Pujols to accept a contract restructure and personal services contracts are not allowed so the money couldn't be funneled into that.

If Pujols chooses to retire the money is forfeited. If the Angels choose to release him they must pay the contract off in the same manner it was agreed upon. Any restructure of payments have to be agreed upon by four parties. MLB, the Players Union, Albert Pujols and the Angels. Regardless, the money paid would be part of the salary cap until it gets completely paid off.

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

AO has been stuck on the "restructuring" thing for a while. It's absolutely not going to happen.

people here have been stuck on it since, oh about six weeks into his Angels career, which is about how long it took for Albert to hit his first home run.

Restructuring, retiring when his BA got below .300, retiring when he hit certain milestones.

This board has done a lot of wishing and hoping.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

If Pujols chooses to retire the money is forfeited. If the Angels choose to release him they must pay the contract off in the same manner it was agreed upon. Any restructure of payments have to be agreed upon by four parties. MLB, the Players Union, Albert Pujols and the Angels. Regardless, the money paid would be part of the salary cap until it gets completely paid off.

The total salary would of course be part of the tax threshold through 2021.

But if all 4 parties can agree to restructure it over a longer period of time (a la Bonilla), then that’s beneficial to the actual budget for the next two seasons.   That is beneficial when trying to bring a Cole and another solid FA pitcher in here.

Funneling the $59 million into his personal services contract was not intended to be what I meant.   I simply was saying they could restructure the $59 million over the same 10 years as the personal services contract.

the players union would likely not accept Albert deferring money unless the Angels add additional cash to the deal.  

At that point, it's starts to not make much sense.  

You're better off trying to get a free agent like Cole to take less money in 2020/21 and just paying Albert off.  Or dipping into the equity of the team.  

There's no magic formula that likely has a material impact unless he up and decides to retire.  I'd put the chances of that happening at about 5% following 2020.